[SOLVED] Downloads stop intermittently but uploads still work ?

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
Hello everyone.

I just witnessed really strange behavior from my Internet. I just got new router from provider and it works great. But when I play games or download files my download speed will every 30minutes or so drop to 0 and "disconnect" for 30s. And the weirder part is that the upload stays working. So when I am on voice chat everyone hears me even tho the video game says I am disconnected. It happened in multiple application so I believe the router is the problem. I am on cable CAT6 which worked perfectly fine with the router before. The new one is Tenda AC 23.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
Do the ping test per @bill001g.

As for the shielded cable - FYI:

https://www.thecleverhomeowner.com/shielded-ethernet-cable-for-home/

https://newkingcable.com/which-ethernet-cable-is-better-utp-vs-stp-cables.html

Try to obtain a known working, at speed, UTP Cat 5e cable. Beware of fakes and substandard products. Cable should be all solid copper, 22-24 AWG, and round. No aluminum, not flat.

Install the UTP cable in place of the STP cable, work/game as normal, and again ping test as suggested.

Determine if the UTP cable makes a difference.

Ralston18

Titan
Ethernet cables (plugs, ports) can be very sensitive to "fit and feel" when connections are changed.

Try another known working at speed Ethernet Cable - Cat 5e should be fine, Cat 6 may not gain anything.

New router being Tenda AC 23. What was the old router? Same provider - correct?

Was anything else changed? Did a tech set things up?

Reactions: ToroHanushka

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
Old one was TPLink archer C6. Same provider same everything. I tried cutting the connector on putting new one on the cable and it seems to fix the download issue but now my ping is qutie high (use to have like 30 now i have 70). I know that cat 5e would be ok we have 150 / 150 internet right now but they will be building optics here this year and we want to update afterwards.

Seems that the cable is the problem. Or could that still be related to the router?

Nothing else changed. I set up the router, and I used defaults for most things. So it could be some setting i missed.

Ralston18

Titan
Ethernet cable is a likely suspect. Especially if the cable is low end or even counterfeit.

And it does take some practice/trial and error to properly terminate a cable. Same for network wall jacks and patch panels if they are being used.

Cable should be solid copper, 22-24 AWG, UTP. Nothing flat, aluminum, shielded, etc.. And you must use the correct plug for the wire (stranded/solid).

As for pinging: it can be a bit too easy to end up going in circles. Especially with pinging.

There are other factors involved and there are other tests that should be probably be run as well.

What IP(s) are you pinging?

What is your current incoming service: DSL, coax? Make and model modem?

The problem may not be within your network or even that of your ISP.

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
This cable should be ok quality wise. I got it at my company (I work in IT company) and they use this same one in the whole building. Only thing is, that it is shielded. But i didn't think that it could be the problem and I dont know how to test if it is. I dont have another UTP.

It is copper that i can assure you, and it seems to be 22-24 AWG according to google ( I am in Europe so it is in mm^2)

A pinged my biggest ISP in my state for speed test.

Current incomming service is through Cable/Coax.

And it goes straight to router and then straight to my desktop. No other devices are connected with wire only through wifi.

Try leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a background window. When you get this issue check this window to see if you are getting packet loss. You could also try to ping your router but if that is getting loss there is some issue with the router or cable.

Ralston18

Titan
Do the ping test per @bill001g.

As for the shielded cable - FYI:

https://www.thecleverhomeowner.com/shielded-ethernet-cable-for-home/

https://newkingcable.com/which-ethernet-cable-is-better-utp-vs-stp-cables.html

Try to obtain a known working, at speed, UTP Cat 5e cable. Beware of fakes and substandard products. Cable should be all solid copper, 22-24 AWG, and round. No aluminum, not flat.

Install the UTP cable in place of the STP cable, work/game as normal, and again ping test as suggested.

Determine if the UTP cable makes a difference.

Solution