DVD drive and cd drive is not detected!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theoriginalspinny

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I had this problem and tried deleting the upper and lower filters as described but still had no luck, so I had a look in the device manager and for some reason my CD drive was disabled so I just enabled it again and now it's working! Maybe someone else has the same reason so I thought id share.

Go to --> Control Panel

Then open --> System

Then go to the 'Hardware' tab and click on 'Device Manager'

Find your CD drive and if it has a red cross on the icon just right click and click 'Enable'

Hope this helps someone!

rfn109

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

This solution has definitely solved my problem without any hitch. Before executing this solution, I created a restore point just in case if things will go awry, I could easily restore it back. A million thanks to you Vinnieguy22. You're the guy, er', the man!

lrrh

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009

hi, thanks for posting this solution. it definitely did something good as after i used it, my dvd drive started to make sounds as it normally would when about to play a dvd but it is still not recognised by the computer! please please help. cheers.

jr-20

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
hi... i got a similar problem.. got the dvd/cd burner drive not detected. Its LG model. I got it with the new machine, varely 2 months back. After first month it went dead. I changed connections cables, it worked for a time. I made some updates and it went dead again. ITs no the cables, i checked for virus, none. I tried with the run command, doesnt work. I tried with the task manager, doesnt appear.

It got power, i can hear it run when the machine starts, and i can open the tray. But it is not detected anyway. It is connected by the red cable ( dont know witch one is that one, its not the old flat one)... :p... hmm... Another thing, i dont know if someone got this the same, but the red bulb, the one that show the machine is thinking, is always on since the drive began to be dead, and it actually got the machine slower... I also tried with the registry of the machine, i got tuneup 2008, with that i could make the registry "new", it make the drive work, once, but again, it doesnt work... So it was not the registry of the machine.

I got connected to the machine, a external hard drive, a web cam, a printer, and a scanner. I know think it could be a problem with some of them... BUT WHAT ARE THE ODDS IT COULD BE THAT!!..

sanyway Some other option?.. some help is really needed.
Thanks

allanm

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009

Hey buddy your simply the best .....
guys internet is the best source to sort n solve all ya probz no need to call H/W engg. n pay then loads of bucksss :sarcastic: .

Well i had only one option the upper case i deleted & restarted the PC n wat i saw my DVD ROM is detected ... thanx n hats off to u buddy !!! keep goin....

Take Care

MBar1958

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I have an HP Media center. I tried what you said but I do not see any filters at all. This is what is in there.

+0001
- Digital audio

+0002
- Digital audio

Properties

That is it, no filter, what am I doing wrong? Help....please.

SmileNow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Hi guys, I have the same prob with my laptop. I downloaded and used handbrake not long ago for burning dvds to my iphone. Maybe this caused the prob. I tried deleting the upper and lower filters but could only find upper filter file. Deleted that and rebooted but still no dvd drive. Any suggestions.

sparkler2009

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Hi Everyone!

I tried this, due to my d -drive not being recognised, and after following your advice exactly as you wrote it, when i restarted my laptop, it now comes up with this message....missing file - windows root system32 hal.
Can anyone help me on this one, as my laptop wont start up in windows xp, and i cannot use a disc as the d-drive is still not being recognised.

thank you in advance

i hope that someone can help

:cry:

sparkler2009

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Hi Everyone!

I tried this, due to my d -drive not being recognised, and after following your advice exactly as you wrote it, when i restarted my laptop, it now comes up with this message....missing file - windows root system32 hal.
Can anyone help me on this one, as my laptop wont start up in windows xp, and i cannot use a disc as the d-drive is still not being recognised.

thank you in advance

sparkler2009

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Hi Everyone!

thank you in advance

sdzubair76

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
what are the upper and lower fillters.
when i am clicking on this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
i am getting these two sub folders:
0000 and
properties.
in right side iam getting the list of files that is
class
Enumproppages32
Icon
Installer
Noinstallclass
TroubleShooter.

which one i have to delete.
please help me for this.

G

hey peopl,
i tried used these method and it worked.
click my computer, rigth click select properties, select hard ware, click device manager.
right click on the computer icon, click scan for hard ware changes.
ur dvd drive automaticall show up, rigth click on the dvd/cd icon and select enable.

larry.
halla back at ya boy saintlarry_keith@yahoo.co.uk

sdzubair76

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
hey peopl,
i tried used these method and it worked.
click my computer, rigth click select properties, select hard ware, click device manager.
right click on the computer icon, click scan for hard ware changes.
ur dvd drive automaticall show up, rigth click on the dvd/cd icon and select enable.

larry.
halla back at ya boy saintlarry_keith@yahoo.co.uk

HELLO, larry.
thanks a lot for your reply.
yes its really working....

thisisme_18

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
ok
similar problems for me. sometimes my cd drive appears in My Computer, sometimes it doesn't. recently its barely ever there and normally restarting my pc a few times sorts it out but nowadays it doesn't. it was fine a few days ago because i was able to upload music from a cd to my itunes, but i tried a couple of solutions posted here and they don't seem to work.
eg the deleting the filters thingy hasn't work and when i click that 'scan for hardware changes' thing, i can't find my disc drive anywhere.

Anybody have any other thoughts??

G

snowdenc

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

**** This worked for me! Thank you so much for posting the solution. I was very leary of going into the registry to make changes, but I'm glad I did because now I can see my DVD and CDROM drives in Windows explorer. Don't know how or why they disappeared all of a sudden, but now they are back. Life is good. --snowdenc

satellite09

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
hello eveyone, i am new to this. so please help.
I have the same problem followed the instructions about the registry. the problem is I don't know what is lower and upper filters I only have a subfolder 0000,0001,0002, and properties.
Please help.
Please please

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop, Satellite Series.
thanks

tuten4

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Please help, I am having the same horrible issue but I can not find any filters in the registry, I also only have subfolder 0000,0001,0002, and properties. If anyone finds a fix for this olease let me know, I am going crazy, thank you.

thakur_23

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

The best solution for this is you can start the pc in safemode that is restart the computer and continuosly tap the f8 key and select safemode with networking and go to device manager and uninstall the cd/dvd driver and restart the computer........

G

Thanks vinnyguy22, your info sorted it out straight away, much appreciated!

G

Thanks vinnyguy22, your info sorted it out straight away, much appreciated!

Jipson Paul

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hello friends,
I did the steps to delete the upper and lower filter and restrarted the lapttop(HP pavilion dv6000). But it did help. I went to th registery and the filters are not present. Can any one help me in fixing the problem.
Jipson

Jipson Paul

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hello friends,
I did the steps to delete the upper and lower filter and restrarted the lapttop(HP pavilion dv6000). But it did help. I went to th registery and the filters are not present. Can any one help me in fixing the problem.
Jipson

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS