DVD drive and cd drive is not detected!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedbrunett325

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

AHh HELP!!!! I deleted my upper and lower filters out of the regedit like it told me to and now my itunes wont work properly, it says "the registry settings used for itunes drivers for importing and burning cd's and dvd's are missing. please reinstall itunes. I have uninstalled ituned and reinstalled it like three times and restarted my comp etc. Ever since I deleted those filters my comp has been saying that. i also uninstalled my dvd/cd driver from device manager and it came back after the restart, but still no upper and lower filters. that has messed me up. what do i DO?!!

GuyD

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I'm having the same exact problem however I have noticed it works fine for DVDs and data CDs just not audio CDs.

G

Hey everybody, I know this is a frustrating problem. Below are the directions given asfan42069, but I made changes where they were needed according to HP. It worked for me and I hope it helps you.

click the start menu
find the search box (located at directly above the start menu button)
type in "regedit" and press enter
you might get a warning asking if you want to open the "Registry Edit"
click yes

now you should have the registry edit program open

double click on "computer"
double click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
double click on "SYSTEM"
double click on "CurrentControlSet"
double click on "Control"
double click on "Class"
double click on "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} it has to be this EXACT file...do not touch the others.

now you should see a list of items on the right side of the window

and there is an item named "lowerfilter" or "upperfilter"

anyway... right click on it and click delete both.

once deleted, open the "device manager". Start>All Programs>Accessories>Run> type in devmgmt.msc and click "run"

Once you are in the device manager, delete the DVD/CD Rom drives.

after you have deleted the drives, click on the "action" menu located next to the start menu.

click on "scan for hardware changes"

Your computer should automatically re-install your dvd drivers and everything should work. It did for me.

Hope I helped you! :)

G

Hey everybody, I know this is a frustrating problem. Below are the directions given asfan42069, but I made changes where they were needed according to HP. It worked for me and I hope it helps you.

click the start menu
click yes

double click on "SYSTEM"
double click on "Class"
double click on "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} it has to be this EXACT file...do not touch the others.

once deleted, open the "device manager". Start>All Programs>Accessories>Run> type in devmgmt.msc and click "run"

after you have deleted the drives, click on the "action" menu located next to the start menu.

Your computer should automatically re-install your dvd drivers and everything should work. It did for me.

Hope I helped you! :) :)

GuyD

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

click the start menu
click yes

double click on "SYSTEM"
double click on "Class"

Hope I helped you! :)
Thanks skander1345 but sadly this didn't work.

Prior to trying this I checked to make sure the jumpers were set to the right settings before I put the IDE cable in. It turned out they were both set to cable select via the jumper so that has now been fixed and they are now in the correct order by the way they are connected to the IDE cable and the jumper has the correct master and slave settings. This did not fix it though and neither did what skander1345 suggested.

I'm still getting the same message from iTunes even after reinstaling it and it won't read audio CD's.

The way things are going I think I'm just going to have to hope that when I get around to upgrading to windows 7 it will fix things.

Ria_21

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009

**** Thanks a lot! It works!!! *****

Ria_21

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009

*************** Thank you soooo much!!!! It works.***************

samcrowe61

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
What worked for me on a Dell Machine was to go into setup and insure that all the drive functions were marked "enabled." I had several that were not turned on to even be able to recognize the DVD-RW Rom Drive.

samcrowe

samcrowe61

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
What worked for me on a Dell Machine was to go into setup and insure that all the drive functions were marked "enabled." I had several that were not turned on to even be able to recognize the DVD-RW Rom Drive.

samcrowe

franko

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

This worked for me on a friend's PC when all else had failed. Could I add a suggestion? Before you undertake this tweak, it is a good idea to backup the registry by creating a System Restore Point. If you are unsure how to do this, just google "backup registry".
Frank

nuriko_20

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
what are upper filters n lower filters wen i click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} i get 2 sub folders in it 0000 n 0001 n properties folder help wot shud i do wot r filetrs : (

G

thanks, vinnyguy22

G

Hello,

I have this same problem as everyone else.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit and need help. I've tried everything here where I can, and had no benefit or been able to fix it.

Only one more thing to try that I can think of which is to take off the case and mess with the cables. What am I looking to do with them? Power is obviously working with the light going and ejection of the drive working. I need to know what to set the jumper to.

Thanks in advance from anyone that can help.

This is a new computer for me and is driving me crazy. :pt1cable:

trickyhits

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
i had the problem (windows media player classic is the cause for me BTW) and i used the filter method and it worked first time...tried another dvd and it effed up again, but this time no filters. I rebooted...still not there, so i opened her up, unplugged the drive and then went to device manager and made it scan for new plug and play and it found it and worked. I now just use reg ol media player for dvds. I hope this helps you guys, but it does require opening up the rig...i did mine booted up to see what it would do when i plugged drive back in...it did nothing btw, but then scan for new P&P stuff worked...just right click in device manager and you should see it.

G

I'm having the same problem (no dvd/cd rom drive in the device manager), plus another issue that seems to go unanswered in most forums I've come across: no upper or lower filters to delete in that particular file.

I have tried rebooting over and over again, rebooting and then loading default settings, and have been trying to test the registry editing, but when I try using the steps that many people have used successfully, I come up short. Why aren't those filters available? I'm using a compaq presario F700 with windows vista (which could very well have much to do with all of these annoying problems), but from what I've read the type of machine has little to do with this issue.

The upper and lower filters are not present, only (in the main folder):

(Default)
Class
Class Desc
EnumPropPages32
IconPath
Installer32
NoInstallClass
SilentInstall

Then, there is a subfolder named 0000 and another Properties folder that I can't access for whatever reason.

Short of busting into the back of my machine, I think I've exhausted most of my resources. I'm not sure if opening up my laptop would do any good, because my DVD/CD player opens and closes, and when I put anything in there it makes all the usual noises that it would if it were actually going to work, so it is getting power, but it just stops. No autoplay, no manual play, nothing detected.

Any ideas as to why the filters aren't present?

G

I'm having exactly the same problem, one minute my DVD drive was working perfectly but then it stopped being recognised, but still opens and closes normally. I have gnomeface's problem that there are no filters in the registry and trying to enable the drive in setup did absolutely nothing. I had the same problem about a year ago and had to replace my drive because I couldn't find any solution, somehow I doubt that it's a hardware problem if it's happened again so soon.

wtxgringo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
sometime's going into the bios & resetting them back to default will make the drives functional once more. my E drive was missing & that worked for me. bios on my pc is F10.

G

The drive isn't even showing up in BIOS for me. There was nothing wrong with the connections, but since this has happened before recently maybe it could have something to do with the cables?

G

FIXED IT!

I tried checking the connections with no luck, so I decided to try plugging in an old CD drive. As I'm pulling out the cables I notice something drop behind my hand. The other end of the IDE had been nudged out so there was no connection to the motherboard, since the power comes from another set of wires there were no apparent problems with the drive itself.
Make sure BOTH ends of the cable are plugged in :na:

G

Thanks fellas, the "regedit" version of the solution worked perfectly. Thanks! I actually signed up just to say that! I wonder why doing that work? & why it even got messed up to begin with?

jenny1977

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

got to 4d36e etc - what are the upper and lower filters?

vasu2588

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

thank you very very vvvv much
your tooo goood and once again thank you...i couldnt sleep whole day worried about the problem but thank you it really works

G

i make a project for Not Detectind CD Drive so, plese give inormation to me

ultimatedefender

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I got the solution for this

The dvdrom cable was unplugged.And I plugged it back into the processor and now its working.
Hope this helps

I suggest you check all the connections properly.Even I had not noticed the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.