artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Hello, I have a computer with dual e5-2667v2 watercooled clocked to 3.7 ghz. They are on a supermicro x9dri-f motherboard, 128 gb 1866 mhz ECC ram and a Radeon VII. In games like Rainbow Six Siege, I get around 150 FPS on maxed out settings @ 1080p, according to other benchmarks, I am supposed to be getting around 250+ FPS. In Division 2, I get 60 FPS at maxed settings @ 1080p (I am supposed to be getting around 110-120). In Ghost Recon Breakpoint, I get around 60 FPS at maxed out settings @ 1080p while I am supposed to get around 110 FPS. I thought this was a bottleneck, but after watching this video (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz8ThsFOP3w
) , I think it might be something else because the e5-2667v2 is a slightly better cpu than the e5-2689 (which was used in the video). Can it be a GPU defect? Thanks!
Also, here is a spec comparison between the e5-2667v2 and the e5-2689.

I just tried searching up if I could disable one of the CPUs via BIOS on supermicro. Turns out you can't, but what you can do is disable cpu cores. Should I just disable half of them? Or should I disable even more just to see.
I'm not sure if disabling cores on that Intel CPU will help. I'm not even sure if using only 1 CPU would help. I'm just saying, 16C/32T has no benefit over 8C/16T when it comes to gaming. AND, dual-CPUs might hurt performance since games aren't optimized to utilize more than one CPU.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I'm not sure if disabling cores on that Intel CPU will help. I'm not even sure if using only 1 CPU would help. I'm just saying, 16C/32T has no benefit over 8C/16T when it comes to gaming. AND, dual-CPUs might hurt performance since games aren't optimized to utilize more than one CPU.
I will try anyways, is it possible the GPU may be defected?

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I instead ran a game like Rainbow Six Siege with task manager open to see the CPU and GPU usage while playing the game. The gpu was topped out at 100% and the cpu was around 45%. This shows that a cpu bottleneck is not present, but I am still not getting the frames that a Radeon VII is supposed to get, is it possible the gpu is defected.
Thanks!

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Half of the installed RAM is accessible by each CPU in a dual socket rig adding considerable latency for applications that need RAM access.

Your advice/suggestion to try one physical CPU is good.
Should I make changes to the amount of ram installed, see if that extra does add latency. I will try to use one cpu, but it will be a real pain in the ass. Also, to make sure it was not thermal throttling, I played a game for about an hour and the temps were around 65-73 Celsius.
I forgot to mention, the first cpu has a broken memory channel so that DIMMC1 doesn't work limiting me to only 80gb ram.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
While I was in my BIOS trying to look for the option to disable cpu cores, I found out I had hyperthreading enabled, so I disabled it. I ran the rainbow six siege benchmark and instead of getting an average FPS of 155, I got 190. This is a great improvement, but I am still going to try and remove some ram modules (see if it does anything), see if I can disable cpu cores, and remove one cpu. Thanks for the help guys.
The hyper threading really takes a toll on your performance with cpus like this.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Half of the installed RAM is accessible by each CPU in a dual socket rig adding considerable latency for applications that need RAM access.

Your advice/suggestion to try one physical CPU is good.
On another forum, I was told about a function in windows where you can set programs to run on certain cores. So I tried this with a couple games. I first limited them to only run on two cores, I got 1/4 of the FPS I was getting before (which was already bad). Then I set the limit to 4 cores, I got 1/3 of the FPS I was getting. As I gradually increased the limit, so did my frames until I reached all cores (with no limit), the games ran at the FPS I was running at before which is the highest one. I wanted to mention how in games like Ghost Recon Breakpoint and Division 2, after 15-30 minutes of playing, my frames drop by 20-30%. Just to make sure there is nothing wrong with the gpu, I will test it one of my other systems.