E6600 at buy.com

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I called Buy.com. It's not looking good. They have no idication on when they will get their chips. I also asked about the Asus mobo - nothing on that either.

They normally have info on how many orders are placed and how much stock they are expecting, and when, but they havent even heard from Intel regarding the ETA of the E6600. They guy said Intel is just silent.

May take a bit longer than expected. I would love to click buy, but I'm concerned. Anyway, just FYI.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Im surprised others haven't gone with buy.com because of the great prices, from an actual well known retailer not (shopblt.com or xpcgear.com)

Didn't buy a processor, but just ordered a 550 Watt Antec Neopower PSU from Buy.com for $109.99. No tax, no shipping charges. They had it here in three days and free shipping. I didn't want to wait though, so right after I placed the order I went to my local Best Buy, paid over $170 after taxes for the same exact product. That's quite a difference in price. Then when my Buy.com PSU came three days later, brought that to Best Buy and got my money back.

That makes zero economic sense. :roll:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
QUESTION: Has Buy.com shipped ANY chips since Conroe launch, or are they waiting to get their 1st shipment ???

If TigerDirect and NewEgg already received their shipments and sold out, Buy.com may be a good option because technically they should be next vendor to receive chips, right?

ConsciousTech

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Because I felt like telling them how useless and pointless their thread was.

I think a thread pointing out a viable (not sure how viable this one is) source for a very sought after item is very useful. That and its another shred of proof against the "It's a Paper Launch"Fanboys.

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
That is what everybody would like to know it seems, I haven't found anybody who has scored a cornrow through buy.com. I find many links to people using buy.com as evidence to disproove that it is a "paper launch", yet nobody has said "buy.com sent me my e6600" yet, and that is what I am really looking for, so that I can have an idea of how long it takes and decide whether I should order somewhere else or not, I chose buy.com because I can't camp newegg and zzf and respond to emails within a minute to make my order.

I would also like to know about the p5w dh situation, it let me order but said it was sold out, while the cornow said "ships in 1 to 2 weeks". My billing went through OK it appears, now I am just waiting on the parts.

They had their ordering page up pretty early, so I imagine there is a huge queue there, especially now that their price is lower than newegg and zzf.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Good point. The queue is probably huge. We'll have to see. You cant get that mobo anywhere, and that doesnt solve our problem either! Even if our chip ships, we cant put it together. I wonder when those mobos are coming out.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Do you think they would actually take orders, knowing that they cannot fill them with the incoming stock because the backorders are too large. They probably have to go over a bit because some people would cancel their orders - but by how much? That would be really poor form if they dont meet their pre-orders. They shouldnt take an order if they dont anticipate having stock.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
please.. be patient.. im sure they know what they are doing.. i still believe they will get a large shipment around the 16th.. if not I WILL BE PISSED

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
That is what I am hoping for, but I don't know anything about buy.com and resellerratings has some horror stories. I am trying to get a feel for their reputation and to be honest it doesn't look good.

They have some AS5 shipping to me right now, so things seem ok when they have stuff in stock. They look like that are a big mainstream vendor site and people were talking about which supplier they were connected to in another thread, which was enough to convince me to pull the trigger.

I know their phone support is outsourced to India and that they wont tell people what their place in the line is, which is a bad sign to me, but not a deal breaker. I just hope that they dont make me wait like 4 months or some rediculously long amount, or give me a hassle that forces me to fight them to get my money back and wind up with me wasting a lot of time. Those are the only worries at this point, that they will say something like "we wont get it until november" or "the part you ordered does not exist"(while refusing to give my money back) these things have been described in the resellerrating site, but those are full of exagerations and complaints so I doubt every person runs into those issues, but it makes me wonder.

I would really like to hear about people's experiences with buy.com regarding these cpu's and boards we are all trying to get. I would hope that they wouldn't take more orders than they could satisfy, but the pages for the product never became unlisted and buying was never disabled, so as far as i can tell they are taking every order, so either they are over selling, creating a huge queue, or have some major supply coming in and know it is enough for everybody.

But the fact that the order page never once dissapeared/disabled is not a good sign to me, even when they charged so much less than the other sites, there just HAS to be a HUGE line and the lack of info coming fron their phone guys makes me worry, they act like they have no idea when things will come in and who will get them first, and I need to have a computer for school, august/september, I could even wait until october if I had to, but november is pushing it, the semester would be nearly done.

jpucks77

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Im surprised others haven't gone with buy.com because of the great prices, from an actual well known retailer not (shopblt.com or xpcgear.com)

Didn't buy a processor, but just ordered a 550 Watt Antec Neopower PSU from Buy.com for $109.99. No tax, no shipping charges. They had it here in three days and free shipping. I didn't want to wait though, so right after I placed the order I went to my local Best Buy, paid over $170 after taxes for the same exact product. That's quite a difference in price. Then when my Buy.com PSU came three days later, brought that to Best Buy and got my money back.

That makes zero economic sense. :roll:

How so? I was able to set up my system quicker (despite the fact that I'm havnig major issues with it) instead of waiting for Buy.com to deliver the PSU, and I saved myself over $60 if I would have went to Best Buy in the first place. :wink:

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Buy.com.. is sorta like a mini amazon. they are quite reputable and provide quality products

They are a mainstream vendor, however I also found their customer support and shipping updates to be a little un-nerving

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
my order just got bumped back from "sent to warehouse" to "processing", and my card no longer shows any transaction from buy.com in the statement. WTF?

Has this happened to anybody else? They shipped my AS5 and it is in the mail, but the charge for it is not showing up in my card history(it was in there yesterday though). I am worried that I got bumped out of the queue, or they gave me my money back because they are trying to raise their price or something, argh.

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Which would make sense, but it looks like people who ordered after me are still in "sent to warehouse". I am not so worried about getting this thing in september, but I just want the place in line that I grabbed on the 7th, it would suck to get bumped behind all the people that ordered after the price hikes, for no apparent reason.

Phone lady just told me my bill was ok and that I am just waiting on backorders, that they would charge the rest of the order as the parts arrive, so I guess I need to make sure I don't spend that money in the mean time, ack. The "processing" thing seems to have been caused by them shiping part of the order, since they are waiting on backorders, they billed me for my whole order, then before it cleared my card, they shipped the AS5, and had to re-do the bill for just the AS5, and will charge the other stuff when they get it. The charge for the AS5 hasn't showed up in my credit account yet, they seen to have some lag going on with those transactions. I am hoping that in this process I didn't get moved to the back of the line, cuz somebody could have just canceled my order on their side and re-made it with the new bill, which would suck, they won't say what our places in the queue are.

But I am going to be optomistic, I bet I am still on that backorder list that I got onto monday, but they just did this thing with my order status on the web page because they had to adjust the bill. It doesn't make sense that they would displace my backorder because they partially charge as items ship, but I am not sure, I dont know much about retail. At this point I am assuming that is just the way the web site works, that it is displaying the status of my billing, which is probably not reflecting the status of my backorder, I hope.

ren0nie0

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
it says "sent to warehouse" when you first click on your order history or whatever . but when you actually open the order it says "on order"