• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

    Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

    Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Edgerouter vs Pfsense box (was Home networking segmentation)

Feb 22, 2020
8
0
10
0
TL:DR Skip to the edit

So here's my problem, I'll try to articulate this as well as I can. What I want to do is split my incoming internet connection into two separate networks, one for everyone else in the house, and one for my lab so that i can take say 30% of my total bandwidth and reserve it exclusively for my lab environment through hardware instead of using the QoS settings on my router. i was wanting to use a smart switch for the lab and plug my current router into that as an AP for the rest of the house, but i'm not sure thats the correct solution.

I really need to make sure that my lab never dips below that 30% so my "home" devices have to fight over the other 70% of the bandwidth through software QoS without ever effecting the lab environment. What would the proper hardware setup to acheive this be? This is also essentially a project to learn more about segmentation and vlan in general, I'm aware that this may be overkill for a home network but would like to do it regardless.

EDIT: After further research, it seems like this topic has changed into an Ubiquity Edgerouter vs Pfsense box so i have changed the topic accordingly.

Would a pfsense box or Edgerouter be more appropriate for this situation and what are the pros and cons of each?

Also, to be clear, im dont neccisarily need to upgrade because im shaping large amounts of traffic, rather than a more powerful router i really need a more precise router to shape extremely small amounts of traffic.
 
Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Moderator
So here's my problem, I'll try to articulate this as well as I can. What I want to do is split my incoming internet connection into two separate networks, one for everyone else in the house, and one for my lab so that i can take say 30% of my total bandwidth and reserve it exclusively for my lab environment through hardware instead of using the QoS settings on my router. i was wanting to use a smart switch for the lab and plug my current router into that as an AP for the rest of the house, but i'm not sure thats the correct solution.

I really need to make sure that my lab never dips below that 30% so my "home" devices have to fight over the other 70% of the bandwidth through software QoS without ever effecting the lab environment. What would the proper hardware setup to acheive this be? This is also essentially a project to learn more about segmentation and vlan in general, I'm aware that this may be overkill for a home network but would like to do it regardless.
I would recommend building a pfSense firewall and using the traffic limiting capabilities -- https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/book/trafficshaper/limiters.html
 
Feb 22, 2020
8
0
10
0
It also seems like an Ubiquity Edgerouter would work? If anyone has any thoughts chime in, may have to change the topic now to pfsense box vs edgerouter.

Would a pfsense box or Ubiquity Edgerouter be more apropriatte for this situation? Should i combine the two?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY