Question Empty boot menu on BIOS

Keithisme123

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
Hi, I built a new custom gaming PC just over a week ago using brand new parts and had some slight technical issues and tried googling my way to the fixes.. I know bios is very complex and easy to <Mod Edit> up something valuable so I tried to be careful but I messed up anyways.. I think my problem is fairly common but all the fixes I see are just not working for me? I honestly probably just need someone to dumb it down for me if someone knows how to help but every “fix” seems to look like it’s going right and then something isn’t compatible or showing up on my end as in tutorial videos…

anyways I have 2 SSDs..
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVME m.2 2280
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SATA6GB 2280

Whenever I used my computer I had to force BIOS and then just save and exit to boot into windows no problem or I would go into BIOS easy mode, hit the boot menu and double click on either SSD and instantly load into windows no problem and carry on with my day.

well a few days ago I must’ve hit the wrong setting and now I can’t get any of my SSDs to show up on the boot menu, I’ve tried clearing CMOS (button on my mobo back panel) and hitting the default BIOS setting in BIOS…

Both SSDs show up right next to the boot menu as Storage Information which tells me they are atleast both still plugged in correctly

I also tried to just perform a clean reinstall on windows 10 Pro using the usb flash drive and maybe that would work but when I do that (the USB actually shows up in boot menu to boot off of btw) I’m stuck at the part right after I click “custom: install windows only (advanced)” where I think I should see the driver partitions or something but it’s all empty and says like no drives found click ‘load driver’ but I don’t think I installed the right ones maybe?

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming D4
BIOS version 0807 x64

also I’m unsure if it’s UEFI or Legacy.. the main title says UEFI BIOS utility but I swear back when I was in windows a few days ago I checked the window settings and it said legacy but I could be wrong

any help is appreciated and sorry for being an idiot lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I built a new custom gaming PC just over a week ago using brand new parts and had some slight technical issues and tried googling my way to the fixes.. I know bios is very complex and easy to <Mod Edit> up something valuable so I tried to be careful but I messed up anyways.. I think my problem is fairly common but all the fixes I see are just not working for me? I honestly probably just need someone to dumb it down for me if someone knows how to help but every “fix” seems to look like it’s going right and then something isn’t compatible or showing up on my end as in tutorial videos…

anyways I have 2 SSDs..
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVME m.2 2280
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SATA6GB 2280

Whenever I used my computer I had to force BIOS and then just save and exit to boot into windows no problem or I would go into BIOS easy mode, hit the boot menu and double click on either SSD and instantly load into windows no problem and carry on with my day.

well a few days ago I must’ve hit the wrong setting and now I can’t get any of my SSDs to show up on the boot menu, I’ve tried clearing CMOS (button on my mobo back panel) and hitting the default BIOS setting in BIOS…

Both SSDs show up right next to the boot menu as Storage Information which tells me they are atleast both still plugged in correctly

I also tried to just perform a clean reinstall on windows 10 Pro using the usb flash drive and maybe that would work but when I do that (the USB actually shows up in boot menu to boot off of btw) I’m stuck at the part right after I click “custom: install windows only (advanced)” where I think I should see the driver partitions or something but it’s all empty and says like no drives found click ‘load driver’ but I don’t think I installed the right ones maybe?

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming D4
BIOS version 0807 x64

also I’m unsure if it’s UEFI or Legacy.. the main title says UEFI BIOS utility but I swear back when I was in windows a few days ago I checked the window settings and it said legacy but I could be wrong

any help is appreciated and sorry for being an idiot lol
if your windows boots from NVMe drive, then it can be only in UEFI boot mode

Keithisme123

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
if your windows boots from NVMe drive, then it can be only in UEFI boot mode
I believe on default settings it sets the CSM modules on Legacy only so that’s why it was a bit confusing then.. I believe I’ve tried both UEFI windows mode and legacy mode settings but neither get the SSDs to show up

I’ll check in more in depth when I get home but thanks for that clarification

I believe on default settings it sets the CSM modules on Legacy only so that’s why it was a bit confusing then.. I believe I’ve tried both UEFI windows mode and legacy mode settings but neither get the SSDs to show up

I’ll check in more in depth when I get home but thanks for that clarification
you should install new windows if you switching mainboards anyway

Keithisme123

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
you should install new windows if you switching mainboards anyway
When I try to clean reinstall windows off my USB Flashdrive with MTC it loads fine, i select win10pro and then I hit Custom install and then the drivers tab is empty.. can you help me understand what I need to download onto that USB to get the driver storage or whatever to show up?

Keithisme123

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
only nvme drive connected? in bios settings, csm is disabled?
At the moment the nvme m.2 2280 and the Sata 2280 is connected .. both show up in my storage information in BIOS but they don’t show up in Boot menu or anywhere else

Currently Launch CSM is disabled but I have tried changing that around.. if I enable CSM I’ve realized it automatically disables when I reboot BIOS

Also for the Boot/Secure Boot menu
OS Type : Other OS (do I change it to Windows UEFI mode?)
Secure Boot Mode: Custom which opens up key management that I haven’t touched

Last edited:

Keithisme123

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
Ok did some digging and was able to download the correct cpu drivers on the windows install to see my storage drivers pop up.. HOWEVER I can’t hit next because the storage is a MBR and I need it to be a GBT to install windows10pro… I can’t access windows to get into disk manager so I tried to use CMD prompt but when I went in an typed diskpart>disklist I only see what I believe is the USB flashdrive (since it shows 14GB) so how do I fix this

View: https://imgur.com/a/QVXuL5W

View: https://imgur.com/a/kEI7rQ8

Last edited: