Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2023
Lately I have been experiencing PC crashes whenever my GPU gets loaded heavily, it started a few months ago and I think it has increased however I am not sure. I've tried stress loading the CPU using furmark and nothing happens, but when I try stress loading the GPU the pc crashes within seconds of starting the stress test, I can also hear a small buzzing sound if I have my ear near the pc. I have checked that my PSU is enough for my PC and it is, I have reinstalled the graphics drivers and nothing fixed it. I also checked the event viewer during the crash and got a Kernel power ID: 41 message. Yesterday I tried updating my BIOS and the problem was solved for some time, I ran the gpu stress test for 5 minutes without any problems and games even ran smoother but then it crashed again and I noticed it also sometimes started crashing when loading into a match. Help needed ASAP.

Note 1: Temps are fine (both GPU and CPU are always under 80°-75°)
Note 2: My pc parts are old and I've been using the pc for a long time now.
Note 3: My system files are on an SSD but most everything else is on HDDs

Specs:
CPU: I7 3770K
GPU: gtx 1060 6gb
RAM: 16gb (8gb ×2) DDR3 1333MHz
PSU: Gigabyte Superb GE-E720A-C3 720w
Motherboard: GA P75 D3 rev1.1

Solution
Noted: "My pc parts are old and I've been using the pc for a long time now."

How old?

Is the current PSU the original PSU?

My thought is that the PSU is starting to falter and fail - and all the more so if there is a history of heavy gaming use.

You looked in Event Viewer and found errors etc..

Also check Reliability History/Monitor - much more end user friendly and the timeline format can be revealing.

Increasing numbers of varying errors are an indication of problem PSU.

Ralston18

Titan

How old?

My thought is that the PSU is starting to falter and fail - and all the more so if there is a history of heavy gaming use.

Also check Reliability History/Monitor - much more end user friendly and the timeline format can be revealing.

Solution
Dec 3, 2023

How old?

Most of my parts are almost 10 years old at this point, other than the GPU, which is about 6 years old now. Also, I don't know what you mean by the original PSU, but it's the same one that I bought when building the PC.

Looked at the reliability History and nothing showed up other than an error saying that a random unexpected shutdown occurred.

Also, a weird new discovery that sounds very stupid. I tried to stress test the GPU at 1080p and nothing happened (on furmark), it ran perfectly and didn't crash, but the issue of crashing (and the electrical buzzing) only occurred if I tried running a stress test on anything other than 1080p, I don't know how that applies to the crashes that, happen while gaming because I game on 1080p, could it be a seperate issue? I also installed 3dmark and ran their benchmark, and no crashing occurred.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU being "the same one I bought when building the PC" = original. I.e. 10 years old....

Unexpected random shutdowns are symptomatic of failing PSU.

As the PSU declines/degrades further it can be expected that circumstances of increased power demands will cause more problems. Or simply stop working.

Remember that PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components. The provided voltages must be within certain voltage tolerance ranges. A problem with any given voltage or voltages can result in multiple errors and issues.

FYI, for more information:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it or know someone who does then consider testing the PSU.

If not, then swap in another PSU with the same or higher wattage rating. Be sure to use only the cables that come with the swapped in PSU.

Also - if all important data is not backed up then do so as soon as possible. Ensure that the backups are on another host system and confirmed to be recoverable and readable.

Dec 3, 2023
Verly late reply, good news and bad news.
So first I tested the PSU just like the guide says, and all voltages were within the tolerances specified in the product document. I ended up reinstalling windows which fixed the issue of very frequent crashing which is good!. However the system still randomly crashes only sometimes, and not as frequent, mostly when the computer is under load and in a relatively intensive games. What could be the problem.

Also to mention I took the pc to a local shop and sked him to test the gpu on another system and he said he couldn't recreate the crash. Not necessarily means something since the crashes are random and don't always happen.

So far I am inclined to believe that it's the PSU since the crashes happen when the computer is drawing high power so maybe it's failing due to age? Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 3, 2023
Update, something to confirm my theory is that the pc crashes if I load both CPU and GPU at the same time with a stress test. Might be the time to swap my PSU, it would be better if you would tell me what to look for in a PSU since I live in turkey and the market here is <Mod Edit>, I'm on a budget as you can see from my specs :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS