[SOLVED] Erratic keyboard behaviour on Lenovo laptop ?

paktangent

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
I own a Lenovo Ideapad 330s. The E, D & C keys on the keyboard have an erratic behaviour. The rest of the keyboard works fine.

These 3 keys go dead and then jump back to life, randomly. I have also noticed that while the laptop is plugged In, the keys start to work.

I have opened the Laptop and cleaned the keyboard ribbon Cable and socket using Alcohol; the keyboard worked fine for some time but keys went dead, again.

I have read on internet that this can be due to removal of carbon from the ribbon cable for that particular row and clipping 2/3 cm off the Ribbon cable from the end will get the keyboard working.

Should I do that?

P.S: I am running Windows 10 (Latest update)

Solution
Please don't be too hard on your carbon removal process, there was one time where the ribbon itself was damaged beyond repair when I found out that someone rubbed the ribbon so hard that the contacts were stripped to nothing. Also, have you tried to rule out that an external USB driven keyboard or one with BT doesn't exhibit the same issue? While you'd disassembled the laptop to get the keyboard out, did you perform a maintenance run on the innards to rid it of any dust or debris?

As for your laptop, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You can use CPU-Z to show you under the Mainboard tab what your current BIOS version is. As for your OS, you can find the version number on the bottom of the System...

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't be too hard on your carbon removal process, there was one time where the ribbon itself was damaged beyond repair when I found out that someone rubbed the ribbon so hard that the contacts were stripped to nothing. Also, have you tried to rule out that an external USB driven keyboard or one with BT doesn't exhibit the same issue? While you'd disassembled the laptop to get the keyboard out, did you perform a maintenance run on the innards to rid it of any dust or debris?

As for your laptop, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You can use CPU-Z to show you under the Mainboard tab what your current BIOS version is. As for your OS, you can find the version number on the bottom of the System page(Right click start>Left click System). Drivers installed manually on your laptop since the OS was on it?

Those are all steps to perform before you decide to source a replacement keyboard and then perform operation on the older one. FYI, I will never agree to you cutting part of the ribbon cable.

Solution

paktangent

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I am grateful to you for taking out time to answer my query. Here are some answers to your questions.

Also, have you tried to rule out that an external USB driven keyboard or one with BT doesn't exhibit the same issue?

Yes, I have ruled it out. External keyboard works fine. I am typing this text using an external usb keyboard and no weird behaviour has occured during usage.

While you'd disassembled the laptop to get the keyboard out, did you perform a maintenance run on the innards to rid it of any dust or debris?

Yes

As for your laptop, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You can use CPU-Z to show you under the Mainboard tab what your current BIOS version is

HECtHJW.jpg

As for your OS, you can find the version number on the bottom of the System page(Right click start>Left click System).

WEbZz8s.jpg

Drivers installed manually on your laptop since the OS was on it?

No drivers were installed manually.