Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Hello! I have a strange issue:

1. All of a sudden my ethernet cable (5 meters) stopped working.
  2. Thus, I bought a new one (10 meters) and this also doesn't get recognized. It seems to be a cheap chinese generic cable.
  3. However, the old one, a very short one of 2m does get recognized.
  4. The wifi adapter recognized the network, but I prefer a cable connection.
  5. I've switched the cables and plugged them into different ports of the modem (there are 4 in total). Same result

So how can I identify where the issue is? Two broken ethernet cables / one old working or if this is a hardware issue of my network adapter?

Some specs:
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
  • GPU: Card name: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (the driver is updated)
  • 32 GB of RAM

Thank you!

Solution
I doubt any local computer shop would have the meter that is used to certify ethernet cables. They are outrageously expensive for ones that can actually certify a cable meet the official ethernet specs.

The likely problem though is you have at least 1 fake cable if not both. Copper metal has gotten to record prices so to cut costs they are using tricks to cut the amount of copper used but these cables not meet the standards.

You need nothing more that cat5e cable to get full gigabit speeds. Buying better cables will not make it run faster or better. Some cat6 cable though is cheaper for unkown reasons but it will not run any different.

Key though is the wire is pure copper (no CCA). The wire size must be 22-24 none of...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
If both cables would have problems then it could be device they are connected to but if one cable is working on both slots and the other is not then fault is clearly in the other cable, You probably have gotten urslef a faulty one. There are currently 8 types of "generic lan" cable varying from 1mbps (cat 1) to 25/45 gbps (cat8) so identify the one you want so you do not overpay, just don't pick the lowest/cheapest possible option as it's always a gamble will or will it not run.

Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks! Can I bring the computer to a local technician and let me check a new quality cable? I don't want to play lottery with ethernet cables.

The short cable seems to be a quality one. The plastic is better and the cable is "bigger". The chinese generic one is as thin as a "noodle".

I doubt any local computer shop would have the meter that is used to certify ethernet cables. They are outrageously expensive for ones that can actually certify a cable meet the official ethernet specs.

The likely problem though is you have at least 1 fake cable if not both. Copper metal has gotten to record prices so to cut costs they are using tricks to cut the amount of copper used but these cables not meet the standards.

You need nothing more that cat5e cable to get full gigabit speeds. Buying better cables will not make it run faster or better. Some cat6 cable though is cheaper for unkown reasons but it will not run any different.

Key though is the wire is pure copper (no CCA). The wire size must be 22-24 none of that flat or thin cable. You see a lot of that flat cable but it can never actually ever meet the official ethernet standards mostly because the wire is 30 awg. It tends not not work with all equipment and it easily damaged.

Just be careful and read the description carefully, vendors of quality product tend to clearly state these details because they know there is lots of fake cable. If you still have issues you can look for either for the brand name of belden or you can buy from a company called monoprice on amazon. It is likely the local home improvement store sells quality cable since you can bring it back and complain in person so they tend to not sell the trash.

Solution

Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks! I've just reinstalled Windows 11. The yellow cable worked, but the light blue and grey did not.

I've googled and seen that yellow cable have a different meaning.

Could this be the case in my situation?

Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
LZK5968.jpg6b06c7a49303

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Thanks! I've just reinstalled Windows 11. The yellow cable worked, but the light blue and grey did not.

I've googled and seen that yellow cable have a different meaning.

Could this be the case in my situation?

The color of the cable means nothing. Work places use different colors to help differentiate between different components on the network. IE: Red connects to Optik Fibre, Blue connects switches, Gray to Desktops, Yellow to Risers, etc.

Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
I understand. But why does the old computer accept all cables (blue, grey and yellow) and the new computer just the yellow one?

What do I have to tell the technician tomorrow?

Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Ok, can I bring my machine to the technician and tell him to check a good quality CAT5 cable of 10 m, because the others got rejected all of a sudden?

Moreover, I can see that something gets recognized. I've put the translations in red below.

AGKviFi.png

Your problem is going to be if a quality cables does not work it means you somehow damaged the ethernet port in the machine. Ethernet ports are mostly hardware so there it is not like there is some firmware patch that will fix a broken port.

Luckily internal pcie ethernet cards are very cheap and you can get USB3 ethernet devices also if you can not use a internal card.

Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
@bill001g : Thank you! I still have warranty on this desktop machine. The motherboard is a Asus Prime B450M-A.

1. Can the reseller just exchange or fix the motherboard?
  2. If this option is not possible, which USB3 ethernet device should I buy? Could you please recommend me a model?
  3. How do I know if I still have a PCI slot free for the cable?
  4. Is there a way to see if the ethernet port in the motherboard is damaged? (It still accepts the yellow cable, but I just cannot work home office next to the router).

Thank you!

Just buy another cable from a vendor that will let you return it. Much simpler than hauling your machine all over the place. It likely is a bad cable when other cable work.

If a new cable does not solve it then you go from there, does not pay to worry about those details until you know it is not the cable.

Fetito

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Issue resolved. All cables except the yellow one are broken. Moreover, the technician exchanged the motherboard. Now everything is perfect!

Thank you for your suggestions!

TRENDING THREADS