[SOLVED] Ethernet connection behaves in an unusual manner

Jul 6, 2019
Hello.
I have recently built a new computer rig (specs are in the link below)-
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18164935

Everything was working perfectly until a few days ago when I started to notice that the internet speed slowly started working slower and slower until eventually the Ethernet didn't even identify my computers network and stopped working completely. for the last few days I've been trying methodically different things to check what caused this issue but to no avail.

I've tried updating my network adapter drivers, tried switching the LAN cable as well as adapter, tried restarting the network, tried going back to one of the earlier restore points, even tried an Ubuntu OS on the computer (which also didn't work), and non of those fixed the problem.

As a last resort, Yesterday, I've decided to completely wipe my drive and reinstall windows 10 from scratch. To my dismay, this didn't fix the issue either (at first!)

Here comes the bizarre part: even though that when I reinstalled the OS the network still wasn't recognized, when I restarted the computer it started working properly as if there was never an issue in the first place. Then, after a few hours, the internet speed started dropping again to as low as 40 kB/s, and and eventually the internet stopped working completely and wasn't recognized again (same issue as the first time). When I tried to troubleshoot the only message I got was "Ethernet cable IP not configured correctly".

Today, However, when turning on the computer, the internet came back on, but again at very slow speeds (100 kB/s).
Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm really frustrated and not even sure if the problem is with my hardware or software.
Any help and advice is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hello. If the WiFi portion of the router functions properly, then a WiFi adapter would make sense to regain connectivity until you can afford a replacement router. It does indeed sound like the internal Ethernet switch of the router is failing.:(
Jul 8, 2019
Sounds very much like your router is the issue. It is failing to provide a DHCP IP address and you are also seeing progressively failing connection speed over time when you can get an IP address. Try a different Ethernet port on the switch portion of the router. If that does not resolve it, then you might be looking at a new router.

Jul 6, 2019
Sounds very much like your router is the issue. It is failing to provide a DHCP IP address and you are also seeing progressively failing connection speed over time when you can get an IP address. Try a different Ethernet port on the switch portion of the router. If that does not resolve it, then you might be looking at a new router.
Tried a different Ethernet port. The internet still keeps being either slow or failing completely. I assume this means that the issue is internal in the router rather than external?

I tried connecting all the other computers using Ethernet. Non of them work properly except the one which is connected both the router and the modem.

Even though the Ethernet doesn't function, the WIFI still works fantastically. I don't have enough money to spend on a new router at the moment, do you think that a WIFI adapter/card will fix the problem?

Jul 8, 2019
Hello. If the WiFi portion of the router functions properly, then a WiFi adapter would make sense to regain connectivity until you can afford a replacement router. It does indeed sound like the internal Ethernet switch of the router is failing.:(

Reactions: Doctor_Bootleg_404_
Solution