Question Ethernet connection suddenly stopped working ?

Aug 24, 2021
Hello all!

I am currently running a HP Notebook - 14-ck2010tu as my secondary device. From when I purchased it last year, until only a couple of weeks ago I had no issues running an ethernet cable directly from my modem to my laptop as it is my preferred type of internet connection. Most of the time I boot a linux distro that shall go unnamed via a USB where an ethernet connection is required as this particular OS does not detect my WiFi adapter.

Last week or so I booted up my laptop normally and loaded Windows. Suddenly moving forward, my ethernet connection no longer appears to work. The light on the ethernet port appears solid amber which is concerning. So far I have tried
  • Used multiple CAT6 cables, including a brand new one
  • Connected my device via ethernet directly to my modem AND a WAP I had configured
  • Rebooted my modem several times
  • Reinstalled drivers
  • Reset network settings on Win10
  • Reinstalled Win10
  • Tried installing other drivers from both Intel and Realtek
all with no luck. Leading up to this issue, the pre-installed HP device manager performed a driver update which is where I can vaguely pinpoint this issue starting to occur, although I can't say for certain.

As far as the NIC is concerned I am still able to connect to WiFi on Windows 10 with no issue.

Does anyone have anymore solutions that may be able to work? Thanks!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
On the notebook check that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless depending on the desired connectivity) is enabled.

Not both network adapters enabled at the same time.

Only one network adapter should be enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Aug 24, 2021
On the notebook check that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless depending on the desired connectivity) is enabled.

Not both network adapters enabled at the same time.

Only one network adapter should be enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Hi, thanks for the reply. If possible could you explain how I could enable a wired connection rather than a wireless? In any case, here are the results of running CMD. I should add that prior to this issue I had no problem running an ethernet connection and a wireless connection simultaneously as I would use an ethernet connection on Linux and a wireless connection while using Windows.

CMD-ballsack.png

(Apologies for posting a full image, no idea if this forum has an option to use spoiler tags)

Does the wired nic still work in linux?

No, it does not which is what I find curious. This would probably indicate it has something to do with the NIC itself but I've honestly got no idea how to test this concretely. My device has always been treated gently, nothing has ever been spilled on it.

Last edited:
No, it does not which is what I find curious. This would probably indicate it has something to do with the NIC itself but I've honestly got no idea how to test this concretely. My device has always been treated gently, nothing has ever been spilled on it.
Sounds like the nic has failed then. I would try a usb wired dongle and see if linux sees that. If so, then dead nic for sure.

Aug 24, 2021
"ipconfig /all" seems very incomplete.

Do you see the wired network adapter in Device Manager > Network Adapters? (You may need to check "Show hidden devices" under the View tab.)

There are no hidden network adapters.

Sounds like the nic has failed then. I would try a usb wired dongle and see if linux sees that. If so, then dead nic for sure.

I might give it a shot. It's frustrating to come to terms with the fact that the NIC has failed but it is what it is.