Question Ethernet from modem not working anymore

Oct 16, 2019
Alright so I’m completely lost and have no idea what to do.

I have a 1000/1000 internet at home that’s always worked great when connected to the modem. My router has for some reason always only given me 100/100 but the modem has been delivering 1000/1000.

Around a week ago my Ethernet stopped working when connected to the modem, it now just says “No internet” when plugged in. It still works fine from the router (but still only at 100/100).

I really want to be able to connect to the Modem again since I want my full speed, but I don’t know what’s causing the issue (haven’t changed any settings etc.)

Sep 28, 2019
Maybe you down-graded the ethernet card on your system to 100Mb, or enabled the green, or disabled the Gb ethernet.

In your OS, Go to network connections, then find the ethernet, and then properties. Check in advanced setup, if any of items mentioned were changed.

Also mind, some motherboards have GB/MB ethernet mode setup in BIOS, checking there would be good too.

Hope it helps.

Oct 16, 2019
Model numbers of your network hardware would help us understand your configuration.

Not sure about the modem, it's kinda fixed in place at the top of a wall, but the router is a Tilgin HG2511.

No changes to anything were made, so I really am confused to what could've happened.

Oct 16, 2019
Your gateway device is Gbe, Your modem must be if you are achieving full line speed directly plugged into the modem. Are you using the same cable when you try each? Could you have a damaged WAN port on the gateway device?

I've now tried a bunch of different things to try and resolve it.

My cable works, I plugged it in to a laptop and the laptop got 1000/1000. This means that it most likely is caused by my PC somehow, but I just don't understand what could've caused it randomly when my PC was off.

If there is any more information you guys would like me to post, any text or screenshots can be fixed if needed, I really need help with this seeing as I can't fix it by myself.

Oct 16, 2019
Your gateway device is Gbe, Your modem must be if you are achieving full line speed directly plugged into the modem. Are you using the same cable when you try each? Could you have a damaged WAN port on the gateway device?

Damaged WAN port would affect the Internet as a whole, right? Wi-Fi still works and the LAN ports from the router works too, just at 100/100 for some magical reason.

Oct 16, 2019
I'm now back at Gigabit speed :)

Randomly started working now after about a week when connected to the modem. Seems like trying the same thing over and over for a week gave results.

Looks like Einstein was wrong with his: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

Last edited: