[SOLVED] Ethernet on a wifi extender vs regular wifi

jarismic

Commendable
Nov 1, 2018
My WiFi isn't the best, in fact recently my download speed on places like steam have dropped to below 100kb/s.

I would like to use Ethernet however thanks to my provider, the modem and router is in the front room away from where my PC is and i apparently can't move it.

Ethernet cables won't reach, and i have to use a WiFi adapter. However i have seen people use WiFi repeaters/extenders and plug an Ethernet cable in them instead.

So if i get a repeater/extender in my room connected to WiFi, and plug an Ethernet cable into that would i have better speeds, or is that just slower than using my WiFi adapter normally?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Unless you use a long ethernet cable and put it closer to the router it won't make much different.

Putting it next to your pc it will get the same crappy wifi signal your current adapter does. It really doesn't matter how you connect it to a pc. The internal bus or USB or ethernet. The problem is still the connection between the router and the wifi device.

I would consider powerline networks if wifi does not work well for you.
"So if i get a repeater/extender in my room connected to WiFi, and plug an Ethernet cable into that would i have better speeds, or is that just slower than using my WiFi adapter normally?"
If able to bring a cable to your room, the move the router there.
If not, I can recommend https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7700.aspx . You'd use a cable just to configure it. Then, you can move it close to your room, so that it can catch the signal from router and extend it to your room.

Unless you use a long ethernet cable and put it closer to the router it won't make much different.

Putting it next to your pc it will get the same crappy wifi signal your current adapter does. It really doesn't matter how you connect it to a pc. The internal bus or USB or ethernet. The problem is still the connection between the router and the wifi device.

I would consider powerline networks if wifi does not work well for you.

Reactions: jarismic
Solution