[SOLVED] Ethernet only sometimes works?

Barrichelly

Honorable
Jan 3, 2016
Apologies if this is not the right place but here I go: Ever since a power outage, my internet connection through ethernet has been... funky. I've noticed it mostly on Google websites (YT, Search, GMail) where it takes a really long time to load, especially Youtube, where it will tell me I'm offline after loading a video for 10 seconds. On Google search, sometimes a query wont load, or when I click a link it won't load the destination. Sometimes a random website won't load, but those are few and far between. Twitch has no issues with videos.

I've tried:
  • Switching browsers
  • Reinstalling browsers
  • Disabling extensions
  • Restart router
  • Restart modem
  • Change ethernet port to router
  • Change cable to router
  • Reinstall ethernet drivers
  • Read console output on YT

No luck, but luckily I have a wifi card on my PC, and it works fine on Wifi, just not as fast as ethernet was, and a different device plugged in with ethernet seems to work fine as well.

This leads me to believe something is wrong with the port or something else on the PC side.
Thing is, I have no interruptions when:
  • playing games
  • using Discord
  • streaming through Parsec
  • doing anything that isn't Youtube, for the most part. I am posting this on the same connection I'm complaining about.

I'm at a loss, and don't know what to do. Hoping some of you folks who understand internet and networking could shed some insight.

Thank you.

Solution
Apologies if this is not the right place but here I go: Ever since a power outage, my internet connection through ethernet has been... funky. I've noticed it mostly on Google websites (YT, Search, GMail) where it takes a really long time to load, especially Youtube, where it will tell me I'm offline after loading a video for 10 seconds. On Google search, sometimes a query wont load, or when I click a link it won't load the destination. Sometimes a random website won't load, but those are few and far between. Twitch has no issues with videos.

I've tried:

• Switching browsers
  • Reinstalling browsers
  • Disabling extensions
  • Restart router
  • Restart modem
  • Change cable to router...

kanewolf

Titan

I've tried:

• Switching browsers
  • Reinstalling browsers
  • Disabling extensions
  • Restart router
  • Restart modem
  • Change cable to router
  • Reinstall ethernet drivers
  • Read console output on YT
No luck, but luckily I have a wifi card on my PC, and it works fine on Wifi, just not as fast as ethernet was, and a different device plugged in with ethernet seems to work fine as well.

This leads me to believe something is wrong with the port or something else on the PC side.
Thing is, I have no interruptions when:

• playing games
  • using Discord
  • streaming through Parsec
  • doing anything that isn't Youtube, for the most part. I am posting this on the same connection I'm complaining about.
I'm at a loss, and don't know what to do. Hoping some of you folks who understand internet and networking could shed some insight.

Thank you.
Have you disabled IPv6 on your PC? These specific website problems are often IPv6 related.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barrichelly
Solution

Barrichelly

Honorable
Jan 3, 2016
Have you disabled IPv6 on your PC? These specific website problems are often IPv6 related.
I would do what kanewolf suggested. As for the drivers, you mentioned you reinstalled them. Have you tried replacing them? Some drivers are worse than others and some are downright dysfunctional.

So I disabled IPv6 and been good for 2 days now... so far... Could either of you fine people explain why this is a problem or whose fault it is (problem on my side or Google's)? Will this be fixed over time or is it just busted? I'm not sure if the outage had anything to do with it, it just seemed to happen around the same time.

I have Intel's drivers for Ethernet... that should be fine, right?

Anyways thanks for solving my problem!

It is very strange that disabling IPv6 fixes these type of problems for many people. It helps so many times and is why you see blindly recommended on this other tech forums.

IPv6 has been the so called "future" of the internet for more than 20 years. It was suppose to fix all the restriction you have using IPv4. For whatever reason it does not appear the ISP that make the internet work have invested the money it takes to make IPv6 work well. It is very inconsistent in how well it works depending on exactly where you live. I guess it is because they have discovered that most end device people use do not actually need their own unique IP address and can share the limited number of IPv4 addresses. Large companies have also stopped running their own data centers and are using shared "cloud" data centers so that also reduced the need for IP addresses.

In the end I suspect it is because IPv6 is not actually needed so there is less money invested to make it work well. There are only a very tiny number of sites that use just IPv6 addresses and most are in asia so have little traffic from other countries. There are proxy type sites that allow you access these using IPv4 addresses so even that is not a huge issue.