Ethernet Slow (Driving Me Crazy!!!)

sunseven

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I have a machine where my connection speeds are extremely slow. I bypassed all my routers, switches etc.. and plugged directly into my cable modem to test and make sure the problem has nothing to do with other hardware and it's confirmed. If I plug any of my other machines in they all work fine, it's purely isolated to this one machine.

When I run a bandwidth test using speakeasy.net or speedtest.net the it acts totally crazy and the needle jumps all over the place and finishes in seconds, somethings jumping all the way to the max and giving outlandish readings of 177mbps download speeds and such. I took the machine to a different location to double confirm, ran the speedtest and it did exactly the same thing. So I'm 100% positive it has something to do with the machine.

Now after that I bought a new gigabyte card, disabled the onboard ethernet and am now using the card. But still no resolution, same problem. So I'm assuming now that it has to be software related or some other hardware associated but I'm drawing a blank as to what else.

FYI this machine has been running at the same location for more than a year and this problem seemed to just surface out of the blue. It was working perfectly fine before. I tried changing the ethernet card settings from auto to 100/duplex, half etc.. and still luck. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, I'm about out of ideas. Thanks

OS = Windows XP sp3
CPU = Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.00Ghz
RAM = 2GB
Motherboard = AsRock G31M-S

reggie2011

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
hmm..just a couple of questions..
im assuming u did but, did u try any other machine to see if it was a problem with the gateway or the machine itself?
secondly have u contacted your isp to get there default gateway configerations?
have u opened any ports prior to getting the problem? u may have a port configration problem perhaps
are there anyother symptoms?
its unlikly that its the machine causing the problem its more likely ur gatway configeration or an isp problem,try to ping google and see how many packets are returned contact ur isp and check ur configeration settings check drivers for ur network controller card.

sunseven

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Haven't run any anti-malware but will run malwarebytes tonight. I run Avira AntiVir Premium and it scans for viruses nightly but will run malwarebytes to be sure. I don't have a live linux cd and would like to try all the easy troubleshooting steps first so I'll keep this in mind but explore some other suggestions and run some tests and post results to help give clues as to what it may be. Thanks

sunseven

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Yep tried different cables and it is store bought. I can unplug the cable from the problem pc and plug it into another machine and it words flawlessly. So that eliminates a bunch of issues

sunseven

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Yep tried another machine and no problem. Haven't contacted my ISP because when I plug another machine into the same port, same cord it works perfectly. Haven't opened any ports or changed anything. No other symptoms whateversoever. Totally changed and got a new card and exact some problem so not driver related either. Any other suggestions?

sunseven

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

I was saving this one for last since it required multiple steps. I didn't go into the office yesterday to try to boot into safe mode with networking to see if that helps identify the issue but will do that today and post back. If that doesn't work I'll download and boot up with linux

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
well you could run speedtest or whatever.. if its normal.. then its a software issue.. ie windows.

if the problem occurs under Linux also then its a hardware issue

because linux and windows dont share software.. only hardware.

i suggest this step now because it takes about 5 min of your direct time.
ie 1min to start the download
1 min to burn.. 2 min to boot into linux 1 min to see if problem still there.

alot better than futzing around for hours and not getting anywhere.

download link (to download page download appropriate version)
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php