[SOLVED] Ethernet slower then WiFi

CaptainDieg

Commendable
Mar 18, 2017
Hi. I recently started using Ethernet instead of WiFi, as I just moved my modem to a coax cable closer to my computer. When I connected my cable, I noticed it automatically connected to the network called NETGEAR Home, which is the network that does 2.4ghz on WiFi, rather then the WiFi network I use, which is NETGEAR 5G, which is a 5GHz on WiFi. I understand WiFi and Ethernet are different, but I wanted to use Ethernet for a faster more stable connection, but now it’s just more stable, and slower. Both these networks sprout from the same router; and don’t know how to make my computer use the other network. The 5g one usually has speeds around 300mpbs, and the 2.4 has 100, and now that I’m using Ethernet it’s locked at 100, rather then the previously available 300. Any fix?

Solution
You are getting 100 because that's all either your computer/modem/router Ethernet port is rated for or you are using a CAT5 cable which again is only rated for 100. You need a Cat5e or better to get more then that and your ethernet ports much be rather for more then 100.
You are getting 100 because that's all either your computer/modem/router Ethernet port is rated for or you are using a CAT5 cable which again is only rated for 100. You need a Cat5e or better to get more then that and your ethernet ports much be rather for more then 100.

Solution