Question Every time I boot into ubuntu, it shuts down immediately and restarts again itself. It goes into a loop

Apr 17, 2021
Hello.

I got an issue that is really bugging me for the past few days.

I am trying to boot into Ubuntu system 20.04 LTS. However, every time I turn on, for about 5 seconds loading something it then suddenly shut down. It then automatically restart, loading and shutdown .. continue in a loop..

However, if I go into Grub, I can log into the recover mode and get access the root command line interface.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this strange thing.

The following are the only things that are set up in my computer build right now:

Motherboard: Z590 MSI PRO WIFI
CPU: i9-10850k and a CPU fan
RAM: a pair of 16 gb
M2: samsung 980 pro nvme
power supply: EVGA 700w gold non-modular

What I have tried so far:
  1. update the MSI BIOS
  2. disable secure boot
  3. set to UEFI
UPDATE:
Currently, What I have tried which can log into the OS and even the user interface is to edit the Ubuntu option in GRUB. However, only before 5 minutes the computer shuts down itself.
Specifically, I added "$vt_handoff nomodeset". When loading, I found that it keeps saying that Bluetooth hc10: reading intel version information failed (-22)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021
I solved the issue.

It seems that there are extra steps that finally make my new computer boot successfully. Here is how I solved this issue completely (I hope).

1. buy a new power supply. I bet the original one is defective which may explain it shuts down immediately after post/grub every time.

2. In the Grub mode, I modified the argument by adding nomodeset at the end of the lien of linux argument.

One may search for nomodeset via google to see related information. As a matter of fact, the safe graphic mode for installation includes nomodeset.

See reference: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085807/black-screen-after-installation-of-ubuntu-18-04

3. After I successfully installed (using safe graphic mode) and use nomodeset argument when boot in, Wifi and Bluetooth cannot use. And I donot want to use nomodeset every time. Fortunately I have Ethernet cable. I follow this link https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=346412 and install linux-oem-20.04b via sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b in the terminal.

From install to complete:

1. in Grub mode use safe graphic mode to install.

2. When boot into the installed Ubuntu, add nomodeset.

3. Open terminal and enter sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b.