[SOLVED] Extended Cat 7 slow speed

Tuffi

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017
Hi, I recently extended my ethernet cable from my living room to my room using the following Cat 7 Ethernet cable but the speed I get is around 100mbps whilst the speed I get directly from the router is around 800mbps.

The cable is connected to my main router which is a Lynksis WHW0303 and I am using this TP-Link router in my room.

Does anyone know why the max speed is capped at 100mbps?

Solution
thanks,

I forgot to mention that if I connect the ethernet cable directly into my laptop then I get the max speed.
Do you still think the cable is issue?
It is still most likely the cable. Each ethernet driver hardware is different and tolerates non-spec cable differently. 32GA wire is too small and has too much resistance. Get quality cat5e cable and it will almost always "just work". My choice ( @USAFRet is fine also ) -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC
The key is 22 - 24GA 100% copper. Cat5e is all that is required. Don't fall for the hype of "cat19 cable" ... A bigger number in the "cat" designation doesn't improve your network. It usually harms it.

USAFRet

Titan
Because you bought crap cable...:(

"10m Cat 7 Ethernet Cable - Fastest Cat7 Flat Ethernet Patch Cables 750Mhz 10GB"

1. The "flat" are never actually certified. The wire gauge is too thin
  2. "Cat7" means nothing in a residential situation. Good quality Cat5e would have worked much better.

Tuffi

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017
Because you bought crap cable...:(

"10m Cat 7 Ethernet Cable - Fastest Cat7 Flat Ethernet Patch Cables 750Mhz 10GB"

1. The "flat" are never actually certified. The wire gauge is too thin
  2. "Cat7" means nothing in a residential situation. Good quality Cat5e would have worked much better.
What cable do you recommend?

USAFRet

Titan
thanks,

I forgot to mention that if I connect the ethernet cable directly into my laptop then I get the max speed.
Well then....that is a WHOLE different issue. (that is still a crap cable, tho)
Sorry I didn't look at that router earlier.

Your TP-Link secondary router IS the problem.
--------------------------------
Four fixed external antennas provide stable wireless connections and optimal coverage; 4 10/100 Mbps LAN ports and 1 10/100 Mbps WAN port

It only speaks 10/100.
You need a better router.

Tuffi

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017
Well then....that is a WHOLE different issue. (that is still a crap cable, tho)
Sorry I didn't look at that router earlier.

Your TP-Link secondary router IS the problem.
Four fixed external antennas provide stable wireless connections and optimal coverage; 4 10/100 Mbps LAN ports and 1 10/100 Mbps WAN port

It only speaks 10/100.
You need a better router.

Aren't these the WIFI speed? Dual-Band with 2.4GHz (300Mbps) and 5GHz (867Mbps)?

If you still think the router is the issue can you recommend me one?

USAFRet

Titan
is there any router you would recommend?
Do you NEED WiFi at that area?
If not, any 10/100/1000 switch would work for wired connections.

Otherwise, any router with 10/100/1000 ports would probably work. There isn't that much difference in WiFi performance among various models in a similar price range. They all broadcast at pretty much the max allowable signal strength.

Tuffi

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017
Do you NEED WiFi at that area?
If not, any 10/100/1000 switch would work for wired connections.

Otherwise, any router with 10/100/1000 ports would probably work. There isn't that much difference in WiFi performance among various models in a similar price range. They all broadcast at pretty much the max allowable signal strength.
Yes, I need wifi as I have multiple devices in my room. My budget is £80, do you there's a good router within this price?

kanewolf

Titan
thanks,

It is still most likely the cable. Each ethernet driver hardware is different and tolerates non-spec cable differently. 32GA wire is too small and has too much resistance. Get quality cat5e cable and it will almost always "just work". My choice ( @USAFRet is fine also ) -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC
The key is 22 - 24GA 100% copper. Cat5e is all that is required. Don't fall for the hype of "cat19 cable" ... A bigger number in the "cat" designation doesn't improve your network. It usually harms it.

Solution