Question External Monitor using iGPU instead of dGPU when using Thunderbolt 4 port

Jul 8, 2024
Recently i've bought external display and wanted to connect the display using Type C Thunderbolt, but when i connect it, it connected to iGPU and didnt connect to dGPU. In NVIDIA PhysX it said that my thunderbolt 4 is connected to dGPU but why i connected to iGPU instead?
I'm using Type C to DP cable with no adapter.

View: https://imgur.com/a/FBTjN2A
(Image of PhsyX)

Device: Predator Helios 300 PH315-54 712L

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Usually both laptop screen and external usbc still routes through igpu, just need to prioritise which to prefer for performance in whichever application. Test it, do you play games?, try igpu then dgpu in NvidiaCP manage 3D settings for prefered graphics processor then you'll see if there's a difference.

Reactions: gshadowz
Jul 8, 2024
Usually both laptop screen and external usbc still routes through igpu, just need to prioritise which to prefer for performance in whichever application. Test it, do you play games?, try igpu then dgpu in NvidiaCP manage 3D settings for prefered graphics processor then you'll see if there's a difference.
i have 3 output for graphics, Type C, Mini DP, and HDMI, if i use the Mini DP should it connect to dGPU?, but i didn't see the DP on dGPU on PhysX, instead the Type C one is on dGPU. So logically if i use the Type C, it should connect to dGPU is it? but it isn't now

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Usbc uses DP protocol so it should be the same but maybe mini DP connects to dgpu directly. What does manual say? What laptop is it?

So, the only difference so far determining if dgpu over usbc is in use or not is physx indication? Have you tried a game yet?

Reactions: gshadowz
Jul 8, 2024
Usbc uses DP protocol so it should be the same but maybe mini DP connects to dgpu directly. What does manual say? What laptop is it?

So, the only difference so far determining if dgpu over usbc is in use or not is physx indication? Have you tried a game yet?
it's Predator Helios 300 PH315-54 712L.

I've tried playing the game, it has no problem, but i want to configure my external monitor through NVIDIA Control Panel so that is why i need my external monitor connected to dGPU

Jul 8, 2024
Im confused. If nothing is wrong then what exactly do you want differently?
i'm need to open color control from NVIDIA CP, because i want to calibrate the monitor. i cannot use highest setting if it is using iGPU

Jul 8, 2024

Im sure your monitor isn't lacking. Try that above, pretty much as far as you go software wise. Further calibration is done via monitor osd itself if you really want to go that far.
thank you for your responses and help. Maybe it's a bug in NVIDIA CP? because it uses Type C picture for Mini DP or maybe Mini DP has another name like thunderbolt etc. Now, when i connect using mini dp it is connected directly to the dGPU.