[SOLVED] External SSD not detected ANYWHERE (albeit a few weird places), how to fix?

Jul 12, 2019
Alright. I messed up pretty bad. I had an external SSD (M2, Crucial Micron) with Ubuntu 18.04 on it as XFS file system, GPT partitioning. I had the ssd running on a computer, plugged in with usb and all, but suddenly it slightly unplugged. This returned a stack trace with errors like
i/o error: unable to open (files in here)
i/o error: unable to open/close/rotate (files in here)
ignoring i/o error:

Remember, my pc has a dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04
I hard powered off my computer, but now the ssd wont boot, the ssd in disk management on windows is shown as no media, file explorer doesn't detect it, and diskpart says no media on disk, size 0 b, free 0 b. I hope NAND is not messed up, albeit this was a new ssd (only 2 weeks old).
However, LSUsb sees there is a drive, dmesg shows the drive getting plugged in, icare shows the drive as raw, easeus and AOMEI don’t see it....
Fdisk doesn’t see it, but hwinfo sees it..
Please save me from my parents getting pissed, fellow nerds.

Solution
Can you see the SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo? If not, then it may be that your tools are detecting the USB-SATA bridge hardware in the enclosure but not the drive behind the bridge.
Jul 12, 2019
CrystalDiskInfo doesn't even detect the drive. I can't see it in the options. Tried all ports. Bootice doesn't see it either...

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019
Guess what. I fixed it.
I opened my enclosure.
I pulled out the SSD, packing it up to return it to crucial
and then I thought....why did I not replug it in
I did exactly that, plugged the SSD in tightly
Problem fixed.