[SOLVED] external ssd vs internal ssd? what is better and why ?

Mar 24, 2020
hey guy i have a question . im currently running a 256 ssd and 1tb hdd . i wanted to upgrade to a 1tb sdd , but i went ahead a orderd a 1tb ssd from samsung but when i received my product i realised that i ordered a external one the samsung ssd t5 1tb.. now its running on a 3.1 (gen 1)type c ucb .
i wanted to know how much more would i gain if i would send this back and use a internal ssd instead .
what are the benefits and is their any bottlenecks , or stuff im getthing limited on ? also i dont plan on moving around this ssd so the fact its external is pretty useless for me . i paid my t5 for 220 CAD.
so please guys whats youre take on this situation ?

Solution
I would say that you should try to get an internal SSD. It allows for a faster interface, and a better connection. Having the data have to go through more controllers can slow it down, and it's harder to keep track of when you have an extra thing flopping around out of your PC.

That's my take on it.

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
I would say that you should try to get an internal SSD. It allows for a faster interface, and a better connection. Having the data have to go through more controllers can slow it down, and it's harder to keep track of when you have an extra thing flopping around out of your PC.

That's my take on it.

Solution
I would get an internal drive if you arent planning to move that drive around.
Not only would it be safer (no data loss if you accidentally unplug the drive during a read/write) but its also going to be cheaper. Samsungs external portable SSDs are pricey.