Question External USB HDD encrypted with VeraCrypt is not recognized by Win10 ?

Sep 6, 2021
Hello. Today is my first day with Windows 10 Home.

I updated the system after first launch and then installed "DoNotSpy10" to get rid of some telemetry stuff.
When i connect my external WD Elements USB Drive (that I used under Win7 without problems) nothing happens.
Device LED is glowing, but no connect sound from Windows. Also nothing new shows up in the Device Manager or "My PC"
AutoMount with VeraCrypt of course also failed because nothing is shown under DeviceManager.
A normal USB stick was detected without a problem and worked.

I think it might be a setting that was changed from "DoNotSpy10". But I'am not sure yet.
In DoNotSpy10, Under "Updates" I allowed "Automatic Driver Updates" and rebooted but still no change.
I read all the settings descriptions, did I maybe miss something?

Normally I would think the needed driver should install itself from the external drive. (Win7 Hardware assistant)
I currently block some system-processes to prevent Win10 from phoning home, so may be this prevent the system from getting a driver from the internet ?

Code:
explorer.exe
gamingservices.exe
msedge.exe
nissrv.exe
nvngx_update.exe
runtimebroker.exe
smartscreen.exe
svchost.exe
System
systemsettings.exe
taskhostw.exe

Can someone please suggest what i do/check?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After installing the OS afresh, did you make sure you installed all relevant drivers for your platform, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, including you chipset drivers?

D

Deleted member 14196

can your utility roll back to default config? use O&O Shutup10 instead next time. It makes a restore point, and saves your config so you can restore it in case of problems

i use this with zero problems. cuts the chatter to ms down by a huge amount

I don't like using any 3rd party utility tools--from much experience--but that product is a good one. One of the very few things I use other than MS software.

Sep 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After installing the OS afresh, did you make sure you installed all relevant drivers for your platform, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, including you chipset drivers?

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I tried to update most of the drivers I'm aware of.
The PC manufacturer updated the BIOS to the latest version, i checked that too.
However, I probably should try to run the Chipset Update manually just to be sure. Sounds like a logic thing to do.
At the moment i mounted the Drive on another PC in the same network and send the files i need with an HttpFileserver.
Not a permanent solution but it works to get started.

can your utility roll back to default config? use O&O Shutup10 instead next time. It makes a restore point, and saves your config so you can restore it in case of problems

i use this with zero problems. cuts the chatter to ms down by a huge amount

I don't like using any 3rd party utility tools--from much experience--but that product is a good one. One of the very few things I use other than MS software.

Thank you for the recommendation. The Tool looks like it offers the same things DoNotSpy10 does.
I'm lucky that my choice also offered to create a system restore point and i did in fact create one before i started with the whole thing. :)
Kinda weird that "O&O Shutup10" is a Microsoft gold certified partner. lol
I try to fix my problem the next days somehow. Hopefully another run of the Motherboard drivers will fix it. Will update the Post when i find a solution.