Sep 24, 2019
Hello,

My GPU (AMD Radeon RX 580, two fans) is extremely loud under load. I have been using MSI afterburner to get my GPU to a good temp under load (around 72 degrees C). To do this. when under load, my fans run at about 70-75 %(i have no idea if this is normal). However when under load, my GPU fans are so unbelievably loud, its distracting. Is there any way to reduce this noise?

Thanks in advance,

Badankydank

Solution
What model RX580? 70-80c is fine for an RX 580, it will begin to throttle somewhere after 80c.

You reduce fan noise by reducing fan speed, no other way assuming the fans are in decent condition. If its really that loud I would let the card get a bit hotter in exchange for making it a bit quieter.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Reduce the noise by lowering the fan speed.
But then your GPU will run extremely hot, possibly exhibiting a thermal shutdown right in the middle of your best game.

You get the devil on the wall ?

You have pushed your GPU over the limits, thats why the fans are trying to lift off your graphics card.
Excuse me Sir, but 72°C is too high as a running temperature on your GPU.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What model RX580? 70-80c is fine for an RX 580, it will begin to throttle somewhere after 80c.

You reduce fan noise by reducing fan speed, no other way assuming the fans are in decent condition. If its really that loud I would let the card get a bit hotter in exchange for making it a bit quieter.

Solution
Sep 24, 2019
Reduce the noise by lowering the fan speed.
But then your GPU will run extremely hot, possibly exhibiting a thermal shutdown right in the middle of your best game.

You get the devil on the wall?

You have pushed your GPU over the limits, that's why the fans are trying to lift off your graphics card.
Excuse me Sir, but 72°C is too high as a running temperature on your GPU.

The thing is, I haven't pushed my card at all, it's on medium graphics setting for most games, it's only a few months old and it has never been overclocked. I've got good airflow in my pc, what could be wrong?

Sep 24, 2019

Here is the card: MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Memory DVI/DP/HDMI PCI Express 3 Graphics Card - Black

So I should just reduce the fan percentage a bit?
Is 75% too much (excluding the noise), will it damage the fans?
Is dust a factor?, I cleaned out the fans about a month ago, is it worth doing it again?

Thanks for the quick reply

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Those temps are to be expected with that card, it does not have the greatest cooler in the world but it's not horrible either. I doubt much dust is going to build up in a month. No 75% shouldn't damage the fans, it's just going to be loud.

How does it do with the stock fan profile? You could try undervolting the card this should reduce temps however the card may not boost it's clocks as high under load thus reducing performance.

Sep 24, 2019
Ill try undervolting it today and see if that affects the temperature

The stock fan profile is quieter, however the GPU averages at about 78 and sometimes peeks above 80

TRENDING THREADS