Question Factory Reset Brothers Computer, Stuck In Infinate Loop

mrsDisagreeable

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
I was visiting my brother for a week and found out he still had his crappy 2017 Alienware Aurora, to elaborate this computer is complete trash, its constantly bottle necked at 100%, takes 4 min to boot, and shuts off randomly. Hes contacted alienware 4 times and had the warranty repair guy come 4 times and nothing changes, alienware is complete trash, but that's not what this post is about. His performance hit an all time low and i suggested just factory reseting the whole thing, which took a very long time but that wasn't really surprising. After about 12 hours it finally got to the "Enter date and time" windows screen, after entering said date and time the computer took about 10 min to think about this and then shut off. When restarted it came back to the enter date and time screen, which then goes to a screen that says "why did my computer shut down?" it asks to install an update which it thinks might help, it thinks about this update for about 10 min and then shuts down. When booted back up its right back to the enter date and time screen, which goes to why did my computer shut down, and so on. It was in this loop for about a day until one of the times it was working on the "why did my computer shut down" it suddenly went to the login screen, asking me to log in as default user 1, i tried his password which didnt work, then restarted in safe mode to see if i could force an account into it. On restarting it got stuck back in the date and time loop, 5 more cycles of this loop till i got back to the login screen, this time the safe mode restart did work, and before trying anything else i did the "diagnose issues" option, this stopped me and required an administrator password, which no passwords worked for, i was unable to go back and thus had to restart. 4 more cycles of the date and time loop until i got back to the login screen, went to safe mode but this time it got stuck infinitely on the alienware boot screen. Restarted again, 2 more cycles of date and time loop, restart in safe mode, it actually works this time and i start safe mode with command prompt. I use the command prompt to make a new account, it seems to accept it with no problems, but on exiting safe mode it restarts and gets stuck back in date and time. 3 Cycles this time, and when i get to the login screen im greeted with the message "This account has been disabled, please contact the system administrator" when i click ok it brings me to the longin screen with the new account i created, the password for this account however dosnt work, until after like 6 tries it does, it goes into the loading spiral "One second" and stays there for like 5 min before shutting down, now im back to where i started. Date and time loop until it finaly decides to let me through, "account has been disabled" then "password is incorrect". Im at a complete loss here, but being as hardheaded as i am im not goanna give up till i beat this peice of junk, really need some help and any would be appreciated.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Your best bet is to simply do a completely clean install of Windows 10 (and since this topic is in the Windows 10 forum I am presuming it has Windows 10 on it, so that means you won't need a product key).
--------------------------------------------------------
Important Reminder 1:
If your computer has ever had a valid, licensed copy of Windows 10 installed, even if that's been later replaced by, say, Linux, you can still do a completely clean install of Windows 10 without having to acquire a new license. Windows 10 licenses are stored electronically on Microsoft servers, and are linked to your computer's motherboard. The installer will locate that existing license if you are reinstalling Windows 10.
____

Important Reminder 2:
It should go without saying, but, if you have a functioning, even poorly functioning, system that you're hoping to wipe clean to get a fresh start you should definitely do a full system image backup and a separate user data backup before following the instructions for doing a completely clean reinstallation. It also makes sense to use a utility such as Belarc Advisor to create an inventory of the software you have installed and the license keys for same so that you have a handy list when it comes time to put them on your brand new Windows 10 installation.
____

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either to create bootable USB media directly, or if you want to have a copy of the ISO file, to download that and use a separate utility to create the bootable USB media. Either way will work.

These instructions are current as of July 29, 2019. They have changed little during the life of Windows 10.

Doing a completely clean (re)installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool (MCT):

A) To create a bootable USB drive using the MCT itself:

B) To download the Windows 10 ISO file and use Rufus to create the bootable USB

Reactions: Colif