Question Failing GPU or something else?

BirdsRFlyy

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
I have this problem as seen in the image whenever I start my computer when it's been of for several hours, simply when it's cold. It slowly disappears over 5min.

View: https://imgur.com/7jWBsFl

It only goes like that on this monitor and I have 2 more (tv's) hooked up but it never shows on them.

However when I disconnected one of the tv's it disappeared right away (an old lcd tv)
When noticing that I thought that was the problem I went and bought a new one yet the problem persisted.
For some weird reason it does not disappear if I unplug the other tv.

I switched the plugs around between both HDMI's and the DVI on the GPU, it didn't matter how they were connected the problem remained the same.
The main monitor is connected with a DP cable.

I have tried new cables for all the monitors and switched between the ports on the monitors themselves.

I have updated all drivers and fully reformatted the system but nothing helps.
I have no graphical problems when gaming.

Could it still be a sign of my GPU failing or what else could it be..?

GPU: Asus Strix 1080TI
CPU: Intel 8600K
Monitor: AOC AG322QCX

Best Regards
//Christian

Last edited:
You said you moved ports, etc.. but did not say what the result was. Is this image issue only on that monitor no matter what connection you use on it? Is the issue there when it's the only monitor connected? That image issue is not in games only in Windows? Another monitor on same connection is fine?

Is the refresh rate the same across all screens?

BirdsRFlyy

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
You said you moved ports, etc.. but did not say what the result was. Is this image issue only on that monitor no matter what connection you use on it? Is the issue there when it's the only monitor connected? That image issue is not in games only in Windows? Another monitor on same connection is fine?

Is the refresh rate the same across all screens?

It seems it's like that only when all 3 monitors are connected and the issue is only on the AOC.
If I disconnect one of the other 2 monitors it instantly disappears.
The image issue slowly disappears the same way over 5min no matter what I do, running games or just letting it sit there.
No matter how all 3 monitors are connected it remains the same as long as they are connected. (For those 5min)

When noticing that I thought that was the problem I went and bought a new one yet the problem persisted.

so the problem persist even with another monitor?

Setting all to 60hz don't solve it.

so even all monitor and TVs set to 60hz the artifact still persist on the monitor?

hmm try using the latest driver and see if there is any changes. since gaming not affected probably this monitor specifically not that "friendly" when use in multi monitor config. also instead of 144hz try to set your primary monitor at 120hz instead.

BirdsRFlyy

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Sorry for late update and thanks a lot for helping me!
I haven't tried setting it to 120hz yet.
But I tried connecting another 3rd monitor instead of the AOC and the artifact did not appear on any of the monitors when I did that.
When I bought this monitor it worked fine being connected with 2 others, the artifact showed up after like 4-5 months.
So I suppose it has to be the AOC then. As you said it might not work good with multiple monitors...