Question Fan hub was bought without cable. now i can't control fans.

MIDROU

Reputable
May 9, 2020
so, maybe 3 years ago i bought my first gaming rig from those sites that let you pick the parts and then build it for you(even though i chose one of their builds). because i didn't know much about computers at that time i used it for 3 years before trying one day to find my fans in the Bios but was unsuccessful. finally tracked the fan hub only to find it does not connect to the motherboard. and the cable that looked like it goes to the motherboard was missing. so to make short-ish. i have cables form an Arduino kit that i can put together instead of that one. but the thing is i have no idea where they go . any help ?
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H310M-K R2.0
Case : no brand
Fan hub : no brand but I'll have a picture below

View: https://imgur.com/a/gRxKRu8

Solution
Lutfij is quite right. That Hub has two functions. It supplies motor power to 3-pin fans only with NO apparent means of inputting to it any control signal from a mobo header. In fact, I do not even see in your photo any cable to it from a case front panel button. Thus I assume you have NO control of the speed of your fans, and probably they all (both?) run full speed always.

That Hub also provides power and display control for 3-pin ARGB lights, and I see two such connectors plugged into it. I see also a cable marked "LED" which I assume goes to some case front panel button to allow you to change the light display.

In lighted fans, the fan motor and the lights in the frame really are two SEPARATE devices in one unit. So you CAN...

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you, I'd ditch any hopes/ideas you have towards rewiring that hub to your motherboard. From the looks of it, it looks proprietary to the point where there might not even be any manipulation to be had off of that hub. The hub looks like it just powers the fans' motors and the RGB/LED.

If anything I'd ask you to look into a proper PWM fan hub for your fans. The fan hub Phanteks make will allow you to hook up 3pin fans as well as 4pin fans and manage off a PWM fan header on your motherboard.

Reactions: MIDROU and Paperdoc

MIDROU

Reputable
May 9, 2020
If I were you, I'd ditch any hopes/ideas you have towards rewiring that hub to your motherboard. From the looks of it, it looks proprietary to the point where there might not even be any manipulation to be had off of that hub. The hub looks like it just powers the fans' motors and the RGB/LED.

If anything I'd ask you to look into a proper PWM fan hub for your fans. The fan hub Phanteks make will allow you to hook up 3pin fans as well as 4pin fans and manage off a PWM fan header on your motherboard.
that's what i suspected. since they didn't even bother sending me the cable. Thanks alot!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lutfij is quite right. That Hub has two functions. It supplies motor power to 3-pin fans only with NO apparent means of inputting to it any control signal from a mobo header. In fact, I do not even see in your photo any cable to it from a case front panel button. Thus I assume you have NO control of the speed of your fans, and probably they all (both?) run full speed always.

That Hub also provides power and display control for 3-pin ARGB lights, and I see two such connectors plugged into it. I see also a cable marked "LED" which I assume goes to some case front panel button to allow you to change the light display.

In lighted fans, the fan motor and the lights in the frame really are two SEPARATE devices in one unit. So you CAN remove the FAN MOTOR cables from this Hub and power and control them by a different device, while leaving the LIGHTING unit cables on this Hub and continuing to use them as always. For this purpose, I agree with Lutfij (above) that the most suitable new device is the Phanteks Universal Fan Controller Model PH-PWHUB_02

https://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB_02.html

You can buy direct from Phanteks at

https://www.phanteks.store/products/phanteks-universal-fan-controller

This unit can accept for speed control a signal from any mobo header type (3-pin Voltage Control Mode or 4-pin PWM Mode)
, and it has output ports for both 3-pin older fans and new 4-pin PWM fans. So it can be used with whatever you have now and can adapt to any new fans in future. You must plug ONE of your fans into the white Port #1 and that port will adjust itself to the fan type connected and control it properly. Other fans use either 3- or 4-pin output ports according to the fan connector design.

On your mobo there is only one fan header to use for this - the CHA_FAN 4-pin header near rear mid-board, item 2 on the diagram on p. 1-1 of your manual. This header will use a temperature sensor on the mobo to to control the speed of fans ventilating your case. Do NOT use the CPU_FAN header near the top edge.

Reactions: MIDROU
Solution

MIDROU

Reputable
May 9, 2020

In lighted fans, the fan motor and the lights in the frame really are two SEPARATE devices in one unit. So you CAN remove the FAN MOTOR cables from this Hub and power and control them by a different device, while leaving the LIGHTING unit cables on this Hub and continuing to use them as always. For this purpose, I agree with Lutfij (above) that the most suitable new device is the Phanteks Universal Fan Controller Model PH-PWHUB_02

https://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB_02.html

You can buy direct from Phanteks at

https://www.phanteks.store/products/phanteks-universal-fan-controller

This unit can accept for speed control a signal from any mobo header type (3-pin Voltage Control Mode or 4-pin PWM Mode)
, and it has output ports for both 3-pin older fans and new 4-pin PWM fans. So it can be used with whatever you have now and can adapt to any new fans in future. You must plug ONE of your fans into the white Port #1 and that port will adjust itself to the fan type connected and control it properly. Other fans use either 3- or 4-pin output ports according to the fan connector design.

On your mobo there is only one fan header to use for this - the CHA_FAN 4-pin header near rear mid-board, item 2 on the diagram on p. 1-1 of your manual. This header will use a temperature sensor on the mobo to to control the speed of fans ventilating your case. Do NOT use the CPU_FAN header near the top edge.
Thanks for all the information. i was really confused about how it all worked. ❤️