Art123

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Hi guys,

I am about to be installing my first ever AIO, so naturally, I have a lot of questions. I have looked up a lot and found answers so I know how I am going to mount it etc.

The AIO will be the Silent Loop 2 240mm by be quiet!. I currently have this ( https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-A-PRO-MAX/Specification ) motherboard, note that it only has 2 fan slots. 1 CPU fan header and 1 Chassis fan header.

I am currently running a quite janky set up in order to get all my fans working at once. I will be upgrading to 2 Silent wing 2 140mm case fans, 2 Silent wing 3 PWM fans (the ones that come with the Silent Loop 2) and then I will have 3 Silent wing 3 PWM fans left over for any where else I can fit them.

My current set up is with 4 Artic P12 ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HC7P3HJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 ) fans, the AMD Wraith cooler fan and a cheap molex fan that came with the case. I current have 2 fan splitters (eg one fan splitter is plugged into the other fan splitter, giving me 5 slots (only 4 of them used)) working off the 1 chassis header with my CPU fan plugged in by itself in the CPU header. I know, it's janky.

So my question is. Will I be able to plug a splitter into the CPU header and run the pump and 2 fans off of it and then have the Chassis splitter going with 3 fans? The CPU pump header is 3 pin according to the specs, so it would be plugged into the 3 pin slot within the splitter with a Silent Wing 3 fan plugged into the 4 and another Silent Wing 3 fan plugged into the last 3 pin. Here is the splitter in question btw ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QB9D463/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), you can see that it has a master socket with the 4 pin and 2 3 pin connectors. My plan would be to have the CPU pump in one of those 3 pins and then a Silent Wing 3 in the 4 pin and another on full whack in the other 3 pin.

The question is whether or not the pump and 2 fans function properly on the CPU header. Eg does the CPU pump NEED to be on it's own (baring in mind it's only a 3 pin connector so PWM isn't an issue). And will the Silent Wing 3's work on 3 pin connectors. Or will me having 3 things plugged into the CPU fan header fry it, same goes for the chassis header (although my current jank set-up with 4 non-PWM fans working off the one chassis header seems to be working fine).

This question is kinda a mess. Please ask if you need clarification. I know a fair bit about PC's etc but not a lot about AIO's or technical nitty gritty things (eg amp limits etc).

Solution
More fans isn't better. Usually far from it. 2x intakes, 2x exhaust is optimum. More than that in a small-mid case has such high diminishing returns, the aggravation isn't worth it.

So make the rad either intake or exhaust and use 2x other fans for the other. Rad fans go to cpu_fan header. 2way splitter for other fans (assuming you don't have 3x tall intake, then use 3way splitter) on sys_fan header. Pump use adapter (sata/molex) direct to psu.
D

Deleted member 362816

I wouldn't recommend running fans and a pump off the same header because the RPMS won't match. If you are out of space run the pump off a 3pin to sata or molex converter and power it it full bore.

Most fan headers can handle a 3 way splitter with no issues still lower amp draw unless you are using crazy rpm fans.

Reactions: Art123

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
More fans isn't better. Usually far from it. 2x intakes, 2x exhaust is optimum. More than that in a small-mid case has such high diminishing returns, the aggravation isn't worth it.

So make the rad either intake or exhaust and use 2x other fans for the other. Rad fans go to cpu_fan header. 2way splitter for other fans (assuming you don't have 3x tall intake, then use 3way splitter) on sys_fan header. Pump use adapter (sata/molex) direct to psu.

Solution

Art123

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019

Yeah I will only be running 5 fans actually. 2 for Rad and then the 2 case fans and 1 extra else where.

Got this adapter for the pump, it will go directly to the PSU as it's a modular PSU. https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-20-20-20cm-3-pin-2-pole-connector-fan-distribution/dp/B01LFCB3TS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=3+pin+to+molex+adapter&qid=1635415008&sr=8-3&th=1

I will be running the Dark Power 12 (non-pro), as far as I am aware, it has 5 possible molex connections.

Side note, would running the pump on full whack all the time be bad for lifespan? If so, how bad? Presuming it's probably fine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

Yeah I will only be running 5 fans actually. 2 for Rad and then the 2 case fans and 1 extra else where.

Got this adapter for the pump, it will go directly to the PSU as it's a modular PSU. https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-20-20-20cm-3-pin-2-pole-connector-fan-distribution/dp/B01LFCB3TS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=3+pin+to+molex+adapter&qid=1635415008&sr=8-3&th=1

I will be running the Dark Power 12 (non-pro), as far as I am aware, it has 5 possible molex connections.

Side note, would running the pump on full whack all the time be bad for lifespan? If so, how bad? Presuming it's probably fine.

Running the pump full speed is ideal with a AIO.

TRENDING THREADS