Jan 10, 2020
I was cleaning the front filter of my H710i and when I finished there was now a rattling noise from the top fans that won’t stop unless I press down on the panel. I checked to see if any wires were hitting the fans but nothing. I can’t seem to find what the rattling noise is coming from. The rattling isn’t loud but it’s noticeable. Anyone had this problem before?

Solution
If the fans are several years old it MIGHT be fan bearings worn. To narrow down further, take off that top cover again to access the fans while they are running. Try using the eraser on the end of a pencil to stop one fan briefly, and see if that eliminates the noise. Also try using that tool to push on the mounting frame in a few spots to see if something other than a fan is vibrating. This may help identify clearly what is rattling.

As a fan runs its bearings wear slowly - that is, the sleeve bore gets a little wider, allowing too much clearance between the shaft and the bearing sleeve. The first clear sign of this after several years comes only when your system is completely cooled off, including the fans. When first started up the...
Jan 10, 2020
I found out where it’s coming from. When I took off the top panel it was still making the rattling and the I pushed the fan down it stopped, but I still can’t get it to permanently stop unless I push down. I tried loosing then tightening the screws but still same result

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the fans are several years old it MIGHT be fan bearings worn. To narrow down further, take off that top cover again to access the fans while they are running. Try using the eraser on the end of a pencil to stop one fan briefly, and see if that eliminates the noise. Also try using that tool to push on the mounting frame in a few spots to see if something other than a fan is vibrating. This may help identify clearly what is rattling.

As a fan runs its bearings wear slowly - that is, the sleeve bore gets a little wider, allowing too much clearance between the shaft and the bearing sleeve. The first clear sign of this after several years comes only when your system is completely cooled off, including the fans. When first started up the fans will rattle around in the loose bearing sleeve for a few minutes, then go silent and stay quiet while you keep running. As time goes on, the period of noise at start-up gets longer, until eventually it never really stops. It will continue to get worse until eventually the bearings are so bad the fan stalls and it fails completely. IF that is the pattern you are seeing develop, plan to replace one of all of these fans before they do stop working.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS