loxy061

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Okay so I have a asus b450 gaming mobo with 2nd gen ryzen 7 and 16gb of ram... recently I installed a water cooler and my pc worked fine for about a week then all of a sudden I got a black screen, after restarting it it would start to boot and show the windows logo but then again black screen and the only thing I have are fans try to spin and then stop as well as a yellow light that blinks the same frequency as fans trying to spin. So far I tested with a different psu, gpu and ram. Also removed the cmos battery. Does anyone have any idea I can try before I use warranty for the motherboard. Thanks in advance ☺️

Solution
Try the CPU if he has a 1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU you can test with, but honestly it's very rare for a CPU to be faulty unless it's been physically abused (Dropped, bent pins, etc.) or run with excessive voltage for a while. If nothing else is looking guilty then it's probably a good bet that the motherboard is to blame.
A good place to start would be to LIST your full hardware specifications, including the model numbers for all fans, CPU cooler, EXACT motherboard model, EXACT model numbers of BOTH power supplies involved and the approximate age of each of them, graphics card model, case model, motherboard BIOS version, etc.

It would also be helpful to know a little something more about the backstory. Was the CPU removed? Why was the CPU cooler replaced? Were there thermal issues previously?

WHICH Ryzen 7 CPU do you have?

How long was this system running "normally" prior to replacing the cooler? How long was there between the time you replaced the cooler and the time the problem started? Have you checked the BIOS to see if there is a fan RPM signal being reported for ALL connected fans AND the AIO pump, including whatever is connected to the CPU_FAN header?

loxy061

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Ryzen 7 2700x
Nzxt kraken x63
Asus rog strix b450-f gaming
Asus rog strix 2060 super
2x16gb 3200mhz hyperX fury
Antec hcg 850w (psu used for testing was Cooler Master RS-600-ACAB-B1)
Nzxt h500i
The cooler was replaced mainly for looks and because I was planning to add a more powerful cpu at some point. I don’t know if the cpu was removed as I wasn’t the one installing the new cooler and there were never any thermal problems. It worked completely fine for a week as I said and then all of a sudden I got a black screen. However there were problems before because it wouldn’t boot with dual channel memory until it just booted once and then worked fine.

Are those power supplies relatively new or have they been in service for a while, like, more than a couple years?

I'd start by reseating everything, including all power connections from the power supply to the motherboard, to the graphics card, etc. Unplug those connectors and then reconnect them. DO this with the system not only shut down, but the power switched off on the back of the PSU or unplugged. Also, pull the RAM and then reinstall it. Pull the graphics card and reinstall it, along with any other add in cards. Check all the connectors to each drive as well. Unplug them and then plug them back in. It's always possible that when whoever was working on, was working on it, they may have not plugged something back in fully or bumped something slightly loose that didn't start causing problems until now.

If you are able to get into the BIOS, knowing the BIOS version would be helpful as well.

loxy061

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Well the cooler master is about 3 years old and the antec has less than a year... I tried changing all the parts, pulled all the connectors off and put them back on multiple times now. The only two parts that I am unsure are cpu and mobo, I have a mate that will borrow me a cpu so I can see if it might be faulty but my guess is the motherboard as it has given me a hard time ever since I got it.

Try the CPU if he has a 1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU you can test with, but honestly it's very rare for a CPU to be faulty unless it's been physically abused (Dropped, bent pins, etc.) or run with excessive voltage for a while. If nothing else is looking guilty then it's probably a good bet that the motherboard is to blame.

Solution