Question Faulty motherboard or CPU

FuzzyDice

Reputable
Nov 12, 2016
I have just bought a new cpu, motherboard and ram to replace my old parts. When I test benched them nothing is turning on, no cpu fan spin, no psu fan spin. Tried it again with the old parts, fans started spinning. On the new components, I took out the CPU and tried powering it up then. Still nothing happened. If the CPU is faulty shouldn't you still get at least one fan spinning? cpu fan or psu fan. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

FuzzyDice

Reputable
Nov 12, 2016
The old parts are CPU: i3 4160, mobo: Gigabyte B85-HD3 and 2 ddr3 modules. And I do not need a gpu because the pc doesn't power on, no fans are spinning. My worry isn't POST or booting because it does not POWER ON. All pins on the new CPU are intact.

Last edited:
The old parts are CPU: i3 4160, mobo: Gigabyte B85-HD3 and 2 ddr3 modules. And I do not need a gpu because the pc doesn't power on, no fans are spinning. My worry isn't POST or booting because it does not POWER ON. All pins on the new CPU are intact.

if nothing turns on especially any LED's on the motherbord itself then it points to a power supply problem. you will need to check your conections, also check to see if the motherbord is correctly installed in the case if the motherbord is touching the bottom then it is shorting out preventing it from powering on

if everything is correct then the PSU is defective

FuzzyDice

Reputable
Nov 12, 2016
if nothing turns on especially any LED's on the motherbord itself then it points to a power supply problem. you will need to check your conections, also check to see if the motherbord is correctly installed in the case if the motherbord is touching the bottom then it is shorting out preventing it from powering on

if everything is correct then the PSU is defective
Thing is PSU works with my old cpu, mobo and ram combo, meaning that cpu fan and psu fan start spinning. I think the new motherboard is at fault here. Mobo was installed properly as I fitted all the standoffs required.