First ever build - preferably 800$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Approximate purchase date: One week

Budget Range: I would like to keep it at or under $800 if possible

System Usage from most to least important: Gaming, watching videos

Parts not required: OS, keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

Preferred websites for parts: newegg, amazon, tigerdirect

Parts preference: Intel, nVidia

Overclocking: Most likely

SLI / Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional comments: I want this to last quite a while so I want reliability and future proofing to some extent if I can get away with it with this budget

I've bad my eye on a few parts to start off with. I was looking at the i5-3570k, GTX 480, NZXT Guardian black SECC Mid tower case. I would love your guys input on if you think these parts give good bang for my buck and would also greatly appreciate you filling in the rest of the parts with your own ideas and why you picked them. This being my first build I am open to suggestion and look forward to seeing what you guys come up with! Thanks in advance.

Sidenote: This will be replacing my broke laptop. I am currently posting on a phone which is fairly frustrating which is why I didn't include links to the items I had already picked. If you could provide links to your suggestions I would appreciate it.

As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.Power Supplies that are certified 80 PLUS have been independently tested for their efficiency. Now, there are 4 different 80 PLUS certifications, depending on how efficient the power supply is:

80 PLUS: The power supply is at least 80% efficient at 20%,50% and 100% load
80 PLUS Bronze: The power is at least 82% efficient at 20% and 100% and 85% efficient at 50% load.
80 PLUS Silver: The power is at least 85% efficient at 20% and 100% and 88% efficient at 50% load.
80 PLUS Gold: The power is at least 87% efficient at 20% and 100% and 90% efficient at 50% load.

The 80 PLUS and highercertifications are the way to go when you are looking for an efficient power supply.

Do not trust specifications such as “Efficiency: 80% to 85% Efficiency Typical” that are not 80PLUS certified. 80 PLUS is an independent standard test. No 80 PLUS and “Efficiency: 80% to 85% Efficiency Typical” means that it is 80% to 85% efficient, according to the manufacturer that is, using their own in-house test, which may or may not so much represent real efficiency.Brand name doesn't really matter since almost all have made bad psu aside from seasonic imho.

The above is 100% true!

From Ko888:
"For a system running with a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies that a minimum 500 Watt or greater power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors should be used."

hahaha i just checked my friends youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFLI6TlihM&feature=relmfu and see even he says they have awesome customer service trust me that psu is not idea or great but you can rest assure they will replace it if you have any issues the bundle is the best bang for your buck i highly doubt anybody can put something together better for the money but i might be wrong anyway,that is my suggestion i wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide :)

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Im just wondering if it's worth getting a 2GB card since I'll be playing at 1920x1080 on only one monitor. Isn't 2GB only necessary for higher resolutions or multiple monitors?

Yes correct but never know how long that will stay that way i think for future proofing 2GB is the way to go but for now it isn't needed imo. ;)

as far as GPU go ASUS and MSI make the very best imo as far as their motherboards go they are decent asus makes better motherboards of course this is all just imo :lol:

I honestly have not used any those mobo yet i always trust ASUS though i never regret anything i buy from them maybe someone else can answer that question better for you because i don't want to tell you something is good unless i have first hand experience with the particular product in question