[SOLVED] First time GPU upgrade, got some questions

Iso4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
I finally got my hands on a 3070 ti, but I've never upgraded a GPU before. My PC is on the older end, about 4-5 years old and still running great, but I am a little worried about compatibility issues between my older tech and this new card.

Mostly, I'm worried about the power supply. It's a Corsair HX 1200i so its got enough wattage to handle the card, but I have heard that if the wires can't handle the wattage they can melt. How can I know whether what I have is safe to use with my new card?

Solution
I finally got my hands on a 3070 ti, but I've never upgraded a GPU before. My PC is on the older end, about 4-5 years old and still running great, but I am a little worried about compatibility issues between my older tech and this new card.

Mostly, I'm worried about the power supply. It's a Corsair HX 1200i so its got enough wattage to handle the card, but I have heard that if the wires can't handle the wattage they can melt. How can I know whether what I have is safe to use with my new card?

If your power supply is designed to push out 1200 watts, it will come with cables designed to carry the current your 3070 Ti needs to function properly. Your wires will not melt.

If your power supply is designed to push out 1200 watts, it will come with cables designed to carry the current your 3070 Ti needs to function properly. Your wires will not melt.

Solution