Question First time PC build, some components won’t turn on ?

Jan 14, 2024
I dun goofed somewhere, I’ve really been saving up forever to build my first ever pc but my attempt was not successful. I spent all day setting up and building it and once I finished I decided to test out if everything worked fine before connecting a monitor and/or installing windows.

When switched on, the motherboard turns on but the aio cooler screen and lights turn on for about 10 seconds for the logo to appear and rgb lights to show and then it turns off. Not sure if that’s normal at this stage or if it’s supposed to stay on. The 3 included case fans won’t turn on at all, the Lian Li 120mm fan set up at the back as an exhaust won’t turn on and the 3 aio cooler fans at the top won’t turn on either.

Any advice will be appreciated!

- ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F
- AMD AMD RYZEN 9 7900X
- LIANLI GAII LCD SL-INF 360
- ASUS DUAL RTX4070
- MSI MAG A850GL
- 3 x NZXT 120mm rgb fans
- LIANLI UNI FAN SL-INFINITY 120
- Case: NZXT H6 Flow

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
New builds are often a bit tricky.

Not unusual and hopefully just some error of omission or commission.

Start by carefully reading through the motherboard's User Guide/Manual along with the documentation for all other installed components.

Verify that all components are indeed supported, properly and fully connected, and (as applicable) are correctly configured. Pay attention to all fine print, warnings. Likely the manuals will refer you to the manufacturer's website for more upated information.

Reviewing the documents and install itself takes time and effort. Go slow and be methodical.

Details matter.

No one wants to force anything especially with a new build. So what may seem to be fully and firmly in place or connected is really not.

With the computer off and unplugged from any power sources open the case and carefully unplug and replug all connecters a few times. Do the same with all cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections. You may discover that something that seemed in place suddenly goes into place much more easily and smoothly.

Verify any and all I/O panel connections. Look for any signs of damage.

Work in a clean, well lit environment, using the proper tools - including a flashlight. Do not rush and if there is a problem stop and focus on resolving that problem first. Be very leery of any online solutions that you may find.

Other thoughts:

PSU: did you use only the cables that came with the PSU?

Recheck the fan/power connections. Any adapters or converters being used?

RAM - some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific slot. That is somewhat moot if the RAM itself and/or the slot configuration is not supported.

Case connections - those can be confusing so pay close attention to the plug and pin markings to ensure correct connections.

CPU - what thermal paste was used and how was the thermal paste applied?

RGB - 3 pins/4 pins? Lots of room for error there so again look at the documentation to check everything again.

Only install the boot drive. Other drives can come later after the system is up and running smoothly.

Load only the OS and allow a few days for it to get itself updated as necessary.

Do not immediately starting installing all sorts of apps, games, utililties, etc. Go one at a time allowing a boot or two between installs. That way if things go wrong again it is likely the result of the last installation.

If you get tired or frustrated then stop. Continuing to work is when mistakes are more likely to happen so taking a break is a good thing.

Work out what you can and then post as necessary with further questions and/or problems.

Be as specfic as possible and you can take photographs to post. Use imgur (www.imgur.com).

Reactions: Daniel00