I have a Ryzen 7 3700X on X570 and 2x8GB DDR4 3200 16-18-18-38 memory which I would like to either tighten timings or increase frequency. According to DRAM Calculator, I can either do 3200Mhz C14 at 1.39V fast preset, 3466Mhz C16 at 1.4V safe, 1.43V fast preset, or 3533Mhz C16 at 1.45V fast preset (If needed, I can provide screenshots of the recommended settings). Should I focus on increasing frequency or tightening timings? Also, up to which voltage is safe for long term use? My ram (Trident Z RGB) doesn't have any special cooling, except the (probably decorative) heatsink.

I'll be mostly gaming, if use case matters.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I ran memtest86 at 2133Mhz and XMP and both tests passed. They were both tests 5, 8, 9 and 4 passes.
I honestly would not even bother trying to oc anymore with that kit. That memory kit likely just isn't capable of oc'ing much or something with the motherboard is making it incompatible at certain speeds and timings. It's not like you are missing out on a massive performance boost by not being able to run 3466 vs 3200Mhz.
I have a Ryzen 7 3700X on X570 and 2x8GB DDR4 3200 16-18-18-38 memory which I would like to either tighten timings or increase frequency. According to DRAM Calculator, I can either do 3200Mhz C14 at 1.39V fast preset, 3466Mhz C16 at 1.4V safe, 1.43V fast preset, or 3533Mhz C16 at 1.45V fast preset (If needed, I can provide screenshots of the recommended settings). Should I focus on increasing frequency or tightening timings? Also, up to which voltage is safe for long term use? My ram (Trident Z RGB) doesn't have any special cooling, except the (probably decorative) heatsink.

I'll be mostly gaming, if use case matters.

Thanks in advance.
Have you used Thaiphoon yet to export your modules after setting it to read as nano seconds? You need to do that and import it into Dram calculator. You probably don't need to set the voltage as high as it suggest if you are using the settings already in Dram Calculator.

Have you used Thaiphoon yet to export your modules after setting it to read as nano seconds? You need to do that and import it into Dram calculator. You probably don't need to set the voltage as high as it suggest if you are using the settings already in Dram Calculator.
Okay.
View: https://imgur.com/a/4wziAWA
Here were the settings from when I just manually inputted the CPU, memory type, profile version, rank, etc.
View: https://imgur.com/a/3kD7n1l
Here were the settings from when I imported from Thaiphoon Burner.
Is this a good difference? Also for some reason when I click Calculate Fast it says manual profile only for safe

Okay.
View: https://imgur.com/a/4wziAWA
Here were the settings from when I just manually inputted the CPU, memory type, profile version, rank, etc.
View: https://imgur.com/a/3kD7n1l
Here were the settings from when I imported from Thaiphoon Burner.
Is this a good difference? Also for some reason when I click Calculate Fast it says manual profile only for safe
I wouldn't try running your kit at higher than 3466Mhz 1.4v. Use the safe settings from the first image and run the default memtest86 four pass test. If you get any errors, stop the test and either just drop to 3333/3400Mhz or get a new safe calculation for 3333/3400Mhz.

I wouldn't try running your kit at higher than 3466Mhz 1.4v. Use the safe settings from the first image and run the default memtest86 four pass test. If you get any errors, stop the test and either just drop to 3333/3400Mhz or get a new safe calculation for 3333/3400Mhz.
The first image was from when i manually inputted values instead of importing them. Is that okay? Are the higher values in it better?

Does that mean I should try the settings with lower values first and if that fails, use the settings with high values?
Don't worry about the timings. You are very unlikely to ever come close to noticing a difference between the timings the calculator gave for 3466Mhz. The setting tCL (cas latency) is the one that will affect your memory most and because it hasn't been changed, you would actually be using better timings at 3466Mhz than if you were running 3200Mhz. So just try the timings in the first image and see if it will even work. You might need to change the "primary" timings to 17-19-19-40 with 17 being tCL, so you can run 3466Mhz. Running 3466Mhz with CL17 is still faster than 3200Mhz CL16. The worse that will happen is you are stuck at the rated specs of your ram kit.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Don't worry about the timings. You are very unlikely to ever come close to noticing a difference between the timings the calculator gave for 3466Mhz. The setting tCL (cas latency) is the one that will affect your memory most and because it hasn't been changed, you would actually be using better timings at 3466Mhz than if you were running 3200Mhz. So just try the timings in the first image and see if it will even work. You might need to change the "primary" timings to 17-19-19-40 with 17 being tCL, so you can run 3466Mhz. Running 3466Mhz with CL17 is still faster than 3200Mhz CL16. The worse that will happen is you are stuck at the rated specs of your ram kit.
Thanks. I will try it out

Yes, looser means higher, allowing the memory to become more stable; and no, higher timings mean more time it takes to transfer data, meaning slower data rate.

I tried it out, but didn't even get to stability testing. I was able to tweak settings to 3466 Mhz and most of the DRAM Calc settings. I saved and exited but I had to go back to set VDDG, VDDP, Power Down Mode. I also enabled PBO, as suggested by a previous thread. After I did that, I saved and exited but the pc wouldn't post, with fans ramping up and calming back down over and over. I did a hard shut down and it booted fine because the bios settings were reset.

Strangely I couldn't find BGS settings in the bios and cLDO VDDG and cLDO VDDP were stuck at 0.7, when I tried setting them to manual.

I've given up for now, and reset everything except setting XMP until tomorrow, when I will probably try again. It's late and I'd like to get some sleep.

I'm not entirely sure what setting caused my PC to not post, but I've read some things advising against enabling Power Down Mode. What do you think?

I followed all of the settings suggested by DRAM Calc exactly except for SOC Voltage, which I had to set at 1.028V instead of 1.025, because there was no 1.025 option, and cLDO VDDG Voltage, which I couldn't change from 0.7.

Last edited:
I tried it out, but didn't even get to stability testing. I was able to tweak settings to 3466 Mhz and most of the DRAM Calc settings. I saved and exited but I had to go back to set VDDG, VDDP, Power Down Mode. I also enabled PBO, as suggested by a previous thread. After I did that, I saved and exited but the pc wouldn't post, with fans ramping up and calming back down over and over. I did a hard shut down and it booted fine because the bios settings were reset.

Strangely I couldn't find BGS settings in the bios and cLDO VDDG and cLDO VDDP were stuck at 0.7, when I tried setting them to manual.

I've given up for now, and reset everything except setting XMP until tomorrow, when I will probably try again. It's late and I'd like to get some sleep.

I'm not entirely sure what setting caused my PC to not post, but I've read some things advising against enabling Power Down Mode. What do you think?

I followed all of the settings suggested by DRAM Calc exactly except for SOC Voltage, which I had to set at 1.028V instead of 1.025, because there was no 1.025 option, and cLDO VDDG Voltage, which I couldn't change from 0.7.
You may have to enable an expert mode to show or change the sub timings and memory voltages. What motherboard do you have?

I've read from another forum post that there's a hole at 3400 and 3333 Mhz where systems can't post, but you can adjust it with a certain voltage. Is this true?
That may be more to do with the Ryzen 1000 series and AMD 300 series motherboards. Personally, I haven't done a huge amount of memory overclocking on my own B450 motherboard, because I'm currently running four modules which are not as stable as two at higher overclocks on my motherboard. I just never had the time to get deep into it and needed a stable system, so I settled for 3000Mhz with CL14 timings. Some motherboards are just better at memory overclocking than others and you may have to get deeper into tweaking settings than what Dram Calculator will give you. The traces on the board may be laid out in such a way that requires different settings than are calculated, so you might possibly be able to get 3466Mhz, but it could take hours or days of tweaking to get it stable. Only way to know is to spend the time and try it.

That may be more to do with the Ryzen 1000 series and AMD 300 series motherboards. Personally, I haven't done a huge amount of memory overclocking on my own B450 motherboard, because I'm currently running four modules which are not as stable as two at higher overclocks on my motherboard. I just never had the time to get deep into it and needed a stable system, so I settled for 3000Mhz with CL14 timings. Some motherboards are just better at memory overclocking than others and you may have to get deeper into tweaking settings than what Dram Calculator will give you. The traces on the board may be laid out in such a way that requires different settings than are calculated, so you might possibly be able to get 3466Mhz, but it could take hours or days of tweaking to get it stable. Only way to know is to spend the time and try it.
Okay, thank you. I will try 3400 at c16.

I decided to stop procrastinating and actually do something today, so I set the clock to 3400mhz 16-19-19-40 1.4v. All settings were the same as what dram calculator had except tRCDWR was 19 instead of 18. It posted and booted, but before I logged in, I got a bsod (page fault in nonpaged area) possibly due to cold boot. It restarted and everything was fine, so I got started on memory testing. Using memtest and memtest helper, I tested to 200% coverage with 0 errors.

I noticed the unused ram according to task manager went up to around 1.8gb from 0.8 (due to compression and background apps using less ram) when it first started. I assume its okay to assume stability anyways?

If so, I'll try 3466 tomorrow. If I'm lucky, I may get it on c16.

I'm fairly certain the reason why it didnt post with previous 3466 settings was because vddg and vddp were both 0.7 when dram calculator suggested 0.95 and 0.9 respectively. Ive fixed it now. I still couldnt find BGS settings but since I'm stable I think I'm fine leaving it that way.

It looks like I celebrated prematurely. I booted up and got errors from every startup application saying memory address could not be accessed. I rebooted and got a BSOD. It restarted again and everything seemed normal until I opened chrome and discord and another BSOD occurred. It restarted but I entered bios and saved my bios settings and returned to XMP. Now everything is normal, but it's strange that windows encountered so many issues when I ran memtest last night to 200% coverage with 0 errors.

I may try again today using memtest86.

It looks like I celebrated prematurely. I booted up and got errors from every startup application saying memory address could not be accessed. I rebooted and got a BSOD. It restarted again and everything seemed normal until I opened chrome and discord and another BSOD occurred. It restarted but I entered bios and saved my bios settings and returned to XMP. Now everything is normal, but it's strange that windows encountered so many issues when I ran memtest last night to 200% coverage with 0 errors.

I may try again today using memtest86.
Reset all the memory settings to defaults and then set it to 3466Mhz and leave everything on auto and set voltage to 1.4v. Try that and see what happens.

Edit - I should say that I'm just curious what your motherboard will pick for timings with auto settings. It may give an indication of what settings you should be trying to use with your memory kit. Like I said before though, you may have to use CL17 at 3466Mhz, which is still faster than than 3200 CL16, but may not be worth bothering with.

Last edited:
Reset all the memory settings to defaults and then set it to 3466Mhz and leave everything on auto and set voltage to 1.4v. Try that and see what happens.

Edit - I should say that I'm just curious what your motherboard will pick for timings with auto settings. It may give an indication of what settings you should be trying to use with your memory kit. Like I said before though, you may have to use CL17 at 3466Mhz, which is still faster than than 3200 CL16, but may not be worth bothering with.
I noticed that when XMP is on the settings say that the Cas latency is 15, instead of the Cl16 rated by the kit.

I will try it out and report back later.

I have also heard that 3400 16-19-19-40 may be worse than 3200 16-18-18-38 on Zen 2. I'll benchmark in Cinebench R20 to see if there is any difference.

So I did as you said and saved and exited. I re-entered the bios to see what settings it said it had.
I took a picture of most of the timings, which seemed completely unrealistic.
View: http://imgur.com/a/PeD4NGS

Then I booted into windows and opened ryzen master and it showed this, which seems high, but entirely possible:

View: https://imgur.com/a/6NGZf10

I did a Cinebench R20 run and it scored 4649, with my XMP score being 4678. It's almost within margin of error, so CAS Latency 24 can't be too far off.

Would this be expected of Hynix AFR Die?