Feb 5, 2020
Hi there I am new to this forum and just under 40. I have never built a computer before but have done simpler things like replace video cards, replace ram, basic cleaning of dust, replace fans. Previously I have purchased HP computers and am getting tired of them lasting only a few years before a component dies that is so unique that only they can fix it. So this year I have decided to build one myself. While I see a lot of threads are out there on this, I am in a unique situation about what I want so will try and get it all here in one hit.

Usage. I mainly use my computers for storing photos and videos. I use programs like Adobe Premiere Pro and Photo Shop so I need a lot of ram and power for that. I love cruise ships and travel so either film with 1080 or 4K now.

Alright so lets get started. Budget is not too much of an issue but I am not going to buy the most expensive stuff if I do not need it. So what I have established is there is AMD and Intel.

1.) I am assuming to have the best build possible if I purchase one brand in particular that I should stay with it for the entire computer build?

2.) In regards to the above assuming there are brands like Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, do I need to stick to exactly the same for all of these makers in order for it to work?

Having done the above how powerful should I go. This is what I want it to do.
  1. Be able to view, display slideshow, edit professional photos and videos using software from Adobe.
  2. Basic word processing for tax, budgeting using word, excel.
  3. Basic internet usage from hotel, holiday bookings, banking and simple stuff.
  4. If I so desired the ability to duplicate the screen to a 4K or 1080 TV and play a movie and not lose any quality whatsoever. If the video is 4K it must be displayed as 4K, if it is 1080 it must be the same if not better quality than what I would get by plugging a USB into my television. At present I cannot play the quality I have from my current computer on my 49 inch TV.

With the above in mind how powerful should the CPU be and also the video card? Bare minimum to optimal that will keep me out of trouble. Also the amount of RAM I will need and what the power supply needs to be.

At present I am planning to use Windows 10, I need at least 3TB of Hard Drive space, am prepared to use more than one drive, will get all SSD. I would expect the main hard drive to be at least 2TB to hold windows and the programs I use, the other drives I will get will be for storage of files.

I have watched a lot of tutorials, read reviews. I am confident I can do it. This will be a project over 6 months long due to work commitments. I want the computer to last longer than a HP computer and be able to replace components if need be. Wold prefer it to last longer than 5 years.

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feb 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| You can mix and match and pick the best from each maker's portfolio. Sticking to one brands is either due to brand loyalty or if you plan to show it off to either of the brands :)

2| Same thing mentioned in 1

We will need a little more information. Please stylize your thread with information asked in this thread. We can then move forward from there.
Thanks I will have a look and try to do it like that thread.

Feb 5, 2020
Approximate Purchase Date: Throughout the year. I plan to purchase parts gradually and have it ready by late August.

Budget Range: Budget varies. I will go as high as I need to for the best results that suit my needs.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: spreadsheet/word for home budgeting, basic internet searches and uses. Storage for a hobbyist who uses a professional camera for photos and videos. video and photo editing using Adobe software and duplicating movies to a proper television screen without loosing quality.

Are you buying a monitor: Unsure. I have a HP 2309m monitor. It is a brilliant size for my needs and is not showing signs of breaking down. Am open to a new monitor if needed.

Parts to Upgrade: Will buy everything from scratch for a complete new build.

Do you need to buy OS: yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: mwave.com seems to be one option close by in Australia, am open to suggestions.

Location: Newcastle, NSW Australia. Closest major city is Sydney.

Parts Preferences: I am open to suggestions as to what is best, reliable and will last a decent amount of years. I will not buy cheap stuff that will need replacing in a years time.

Overclocking: I will need someone to explain this please.

SLI or Crossfire: Sorry I do not understand this very well.

Your Monitor Resolution: at present 1920x1080 I have a HP 2309m Monitor.

Additional Comments: I am looking for speed and efficiency. I want the ability to switch it on and it starts up without being slow. I want programs to start almost immediately. Currently with the old hard drives it can take up to a minute for Adobe Premiere Pro to start. If I use it on a SSD then it starts in seconds. Unfortunately with Windows upgrades I needed to transfer my programs to a second hard drive as my SSD was limited in size. I am building my own because as said I am tired of HP.

Feb 5, 2020
So now that I have done the above. I would specifically like to know what speed processor and matching motherboard in particular would be the best option for playing 4K video and editing 4k video in Adobe Premiere Pro. I would like it to be quick and efficient without getting the jumpy lagging image of the video. At present my computer struggles to edit 4k. I currently have an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 six core processor 3200MHZ 6 cores, 12 logical processors. That struggles with 4k but can still do it.

Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS