Five Ways Apple Can Fix the iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]Pharge, video output is 768p But yeah, it's still a couple k of pixels away from 720.I see soooo many problems with this device. At the same time, if I had a choice between a kindle DX and a 16Gb iPad, not hard to say which would win for the same price![/citation]

Thanks for the correction... I miss read the spec... and I believe there were some typo of iPad Spec on www.apple.com this afternoon. Appearently they have been corrected. (I have noticed they mistype the "Component" to "Composite".. but it is now corrected)

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Why fix anything? I was listening to Wisconsin Public Radio this evening and the marketing agent - er, I mean the "independent analyst" for Apple was touting how the iPad was going to totally revolutionize not only the tablet market, but put eReaders up on ends before completely wiping them out. It was fun to listen to him squirm about tablet pcs and laptop users, but he merely said that stuff was for business users and this was a commercial product.

In other words, Apple has fixed the one thing that was wrong with their company when they put out the Newton - they have a better image and control it through the app store. People buy their highly proprietary products and get locked into there system... which is like buying a car that only has OEM parts and no 3rd party after market stuff.

Myself, I find the PlasticLogic Que to be far more interesting and revolutionary product, but they chose to focus on business users... and I don't think they even got a mention on Tom's - the first eInk plastic screen I heard about and not a peep here. Yeah, they took a boot and smashed it down on their screen and no damage was done to it.

So I think I will pass on the oversized iTouch and stick with my tablet pc... a shame too many people will be clamouring to look "cool" with this and trap themselves into a horribly closed app system.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i don't see why they wouldn't support flash out of the box and multitasking
i thought tablet pc's were supposed to be an even more portable netbook

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Stupid device, the best way you can fix it is drop it on the floor which I am sure will crack like an egg or pop like an m80. I knew it was just going to be and jumbo ipod. For the price f 64gig version I could buy an ebook, a laptop, an mp3 player, a gps, a camera and a 3g card and not worry about losing all of those things if I drop one of them.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... ION would be nice... webcam... SD card slot... and why is there a iPhone OS on it? It should be optimized SnowLeopard... i think, the iPad be so powerfull like MacBook AIR, but without a keybord... on the other hand... there was a demand to build a cheep Apple iThing... now there you have it... and there is one more thing... :D when the rumors started, that Apple will do something like that, look how many wanted to be first... HP, lenovo... becouse the last time Apple putted out something, that waz a revolution... look how much iPhone like phones wee have from HTC, Samsung, LG, ect...

choz

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Its still possible for someone else to make a better slate first. I mean how can you classify this as a new product from Apple when it isn't even going to be available for 2 months in the US, let alone the rest of the world.

G

I can't understand how people think some of these features they complain are useful? Seriously I can't imagine walking down the street with a 10" pad using GPS to find my way???? I'd look like I'm half blind and need big font. Besides if I am using GPS I'd need 3G anyway for map updates. So since 3g has AGPS how is that not sufficient?

Secondly everyone is complaining about Flash. Youtube is going html5 and so is Safari. Flash is not going to last much longer for most media. Besides eventually flash will be on the device, I mean seriously the apple people and adobe people can't drive 15 minutes and hang out to get it done?

The web browsing was not clear on tabs, iPhone supports multiple pages but it maxes out. Be interesting to see if this is enhanced.

The webcam, ehhh I can see the point there. But let's be realistic, if you spend that much time on Skype I suggest a full blown computer like let's see, a laptop?????

Let's be realistic, Apple is shooting the the right audience, people who have an iPhone and who need a media alternative. You know those people with decent cash in their pockets who spend $100s on their iPhone plan, millions in the app store, and outlay a lot up front for the phone. Complaining about Apple's business plan is like trading dollars for dimes, what are you not getting about why Apple is doing good business? There is a huge movement of people out there who don't get computers but they get the iPhone. This device will bring them out of the woodwork for email, docs, books, media, etc. This is going to be a staple in the industry. What will happen is Apple will add features for the next crowd (everyone complaining here) once their parents and friends are already cooler than them. So they need a bell and a whistle to claim it's perfect. But why when their stock makes the rest of us look poor? Go Apple on executing Occams Razor to the T, simple and able to accomplish the task at hand.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Fair play to Apple, if people complain enough there is a chance the OS could be changed to OSX. Still to none, but upgrading the OS I suppose is possible. But the lack of peripheral support is criminal. Also, if this thing is basically a big iPhone, what with the exploding battery problems, if the battery on this thing goes it could take your arm off.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Haha yes, I agree with nukemaster. They're saving this stuff for gen 2/3. If they had all of this on release there wouldn't be much to expand to. and you missed two key things:1. front facing camera2. GPS[/citation]
Yeah...

Maybe 2-3 MicroSD slots (pump a 16 gig in each, transfer between phones/pc/tablet), full out satellite GPS, miniDP output (maybe even wirelss hdmi/DP, but only in a wet dream) etc.
I wouldn't mind having this beside my couch on an adjustable swing arm to use wireless on my television as a remote/PVR etc.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Tuan, I agree with most of your point. iPad can defintely be better .. and many of the problem can be addressed by some software modification.However for your information, Apple does have an optional accessory that will allow us to read our SD card. "iPad Camera Connection KitThe Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card." (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)I am pretty said that the video outpout of iPad is not even 720P.[/citation]

Good catch with the Camera Connection kit allowing you to read from SD cards, but it doesn't seem to be the same as expandable memory. I think what Tuan is saying is have a built in slot (one you don't have to pay extra for). I don't know what this "kit" works, but if only let's you read not write than the memory is not expandable.

The IPhone 3Gs Big (whoops I mean IPad) needs a camera and Flash ability bad. You say you have the best media device in the world...unless I go to Youtube or another flash site. That is laughable.

Not have HDMI output is bad as well. Wanna show off you video of your family vacation on that big screen...THERE'S A PC FOR THAT!

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I wounder how much adding any of the features mentioned would add to the retail pricing of the device... anyone actually think of that or were you all "derrrr, where's the webcam?"

schizz69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Dont forget the max operating altitude is a mere 10,000ft
So much for reading your ebooks on ANY flight or while at a ski resort.

iPhail is right.

G

I agree with this article. But unfortunately it doesn't matter how many shortcomings this device has, because once it is released people will go out by the masses to buy it. It will undoubtedly become a 'smash hit', like the iPhone. I think Jobs is either very stupid or just arrogant to state that this device will deliver the best web experience.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
forgot tethering,
but you might as well forget it, no way apple will enable that, they have to have a way to charge you 130bucks for the 3g and then there's AT&T getting payed as well with the data plans...

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation]"Better than the laptop, better than the smartphone." [/citation]

Everytime Steve Jobs opens his mouth I hate him even more.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I agree on the wish list, though to be be realistic, the current form is the maximum return of investment for Apple (based on iPhone) and it will take a while until we get blessed with those additions. The open OS though is likely not to happen. On top of my list would be Multitasking and a better Calendar (assuming the iPad has the same pitty calendar as the iPhone?). The other things are nice to have but also possible cost drivers. Then again Flash support really should be no question in such a device.

Status
Not open for further replies.