Five Ways Apple Can Fix the iPad

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I found this website called comixed yesterday. It was great because they had a comic on how the Ipad was created. Essentially it was a picture of Mr. Jobs in a steamroller running over an Iphone. Stupid but funny.

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]TH[/nom]5. Expandable memory[/citation]
How they can sell the 32GB version for 100$ more than the 16GB version if you could add a 16GB SD card for 30$ ?

realitycheck_18

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
So many Apple haters shouting how this device will never sell. Amazon sold 2.5 million black-and-white book reading Kindles for up to $300. Do you honestly think Apple cannot sell for $500 a large color book-reading, web browsing, game playing, video watching device? Even if it's not perfect or magical, it fits a niche and people will buy.

G

MustWarnOthers

erm, it doesn't do multi tasking, it may be capable but it doesn't, this is actually a feature of the iPhone OS (which the iPad is an extension of) the OS will priorities what it deems important, when you quit an app on the iPhone it doesn't actually quit but carries on running (it allows the app a faster relaunch time next time you pull it up) should you choose to execute more then a handful of apps consecutively then the iPhone will kill from memory the apps which it deems to have the lowest priority, thats not multi-tasking.... it's roulette

as for skype on the iPad... i doubt that very much, iPad and iPhone will share the same app store, skype for the iPad will mean skype for the iPhone, something i dont see happening any time soon (heck we can't even get google voice on the damn thing let alone skype)

G

Can you hear it? The sound of Fonzie revving his motorcycle. Yes, Apple has finally Jumped the Shark. This thing is fail on so many levels.

G

Re #2: "What happens if you want to run Firefox or Chrome on your iPad?" What happens if you want to run Firefox or Chrome on your PlayStation 3? Your Nintendo Wii? Your Nintendo DSi? Your Xbox 360? Your Amazon Kindle DX? Your Sony eBook reader?

You CAN'T!

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
it would be nice if they added a stylus writing feature like the old newton. it would be great to be able to take it into a class (or any device for that matter) and be able to wright out notes for class (or even office meetings). then "sync" it some how to a laptop or other computer. i just find that typing notes in a class room can get annoying when drawing graphs or images from teachers.

It's call the iStick, it works great with the iPad. Except when the red rose blooms every month.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
This iPad is not for me yet, but anyway I agree with the 5 fixes plus an addition of a 7 inches iPad in wide screen format. Or maybe with appropriate stand design it could be a very nice recipe holder in the kitchen or video assistant everywhere, it will make an excellent very slim e-kiosk. Stands and arms everywhere... Hummmmm! (epiphany moment), wait a second. Plug and play stands with speakers, gadgets and connectivity and the iPad also driving other devices. I don't see any comments about it but there is a big potential there, because the 3 inches devices are not good enough to be real assistants. Is Steve Jobs or anyone at Apple aware of this?... If not the ones who come first to market with a nice stand design and extensions could become real winners. Think of it as a real hub potential for a home lifestyle. Apple, I want my share!!!. And I can see some older persons and technically challenge ones using something like the iPad. For home use I think the iPad will find its place.

What about a bigger iPad, maybe 13 inches, with a true keyboard, true OSX, 200GB SSD, web camera and Intel processor?. Guess what, I have one!. Just kidding. But If I needed a 500$ eReader it will be it, even if this is not the best one.

hdfanboy

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Point #5 is somewhat incorrect. While the iPad doesnt have a sd card slot built in there is an adapter for the 30 pin connector that has a sd card slot so you can load pictures from the card and also another adapter with a usb port so you can plug a camera in directly and import the pictures that way.

hdfanboy

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Point #5 is incorrect. While the iPad doesnt have a built in sd card slot there is an adapter for the 30 pin connector that adds a sd card slot and a usb port so you can view pictures stored on sd cards or import pictures direct from your camera.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hdfanboy[/nom]Point #5 is incorrect. While the iPad doesnt have a built in sd card slot there is an adapter for the 30 pin connector that adds a sd card slot and a usb port so you can view pictures stored on sd cards or import pictures direct from your camera.[/citation]
So why add a proprietary port that allows you to put a USB device in.
Why not use, errrr, a USB PORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
At my 5 member house, we have 1 Windows PC, 4 Windows notebooks, 2 iPhones, 1 Razor phone and 2 Nokia phones. I'm guessing at least 1 or 2 of the iPads will be in my home within a year or so.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
What a waste. I hate Apple, but as a stockholder I do expect better things from them. If they had put in a specialized OSX operating system instead of the crippled iPhone OS I may have bought my first Apple product. iPad having the iPhone OS means no multitasking and no flash, which for me means no purchase. You almost had me Apple, but you fucked up. For $599 I can buy a mediocre lap top or high end netbook that will let me do any of the things the iPad can do and much much more.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
About every time I read something about the iPad there is a comment that it can't multitask. Isn't the next version of the iPhone OS supposed to have multitasking (release is in 2 to 5 months I think)? Did I dream that? Or is every person who has ever written about iPhone OS not multtasking (millions of people?) clueless? And come to think about it - that is around the release date for the iPad...

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Oh... zelannii already explained the multitasking issue in a previous post. At least somebody knows what they are talking about - apparently not me :)

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Yes - the USB port thing keeps comming up. Isn't there some issue where steve jobs is trying to get away from having a lot of ports on Apple computers - and I think Intel is backing him by dragging there feet on USB-3. After the FireWire fiasco you would think Steve would give up on fighting that. Personaly, as far as I'm concerned, Ethernet and WiFi is all we need. USB, FireWire, Bluetooth, HDMI, telephone jack, microphone in, headphone out, VGA, security cable hole... my notebook looks like a piece of swiss cheese.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]Yes - the USB port thing keeps comming up. Isn't there some issue where steve jobs is trying to get away from having a lot of ports on Apple computers.[/citation]
Problem is i totally understand where he is coming from, having all those things on the outside makes it look scruffy.
I'm sure the designers at Scuderia Ferrari think that those round rubber things on the corner of their cars look scruffy too but if they got rid of them.... well...

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]realitycheck_18[/nom]So many Apple haters shouting how this device will never sell. Amazon sold 2.5 million black-and-white book reading Kindles for up to $300. Do you honestly think Apple cannot sell for $500 a large color book-reading, web browsing, game playing, video watching device? Even if it's not perfect or magical, it fits a niche and people will buy.[/citation]

I hate to say it but its icrap archos has a tablet that runs windows 7, has webcam, has usb's ,external cdrom wifi,bluetooth, AND run ALL windows based software.

You can plug your digital camera into it and ANY usb pc peripheral.

[citation][nom]xizel[/nom]1 in the trash2 in the sewer3 down a cliff4 in the sea5 my favorite, down an active volcano[/citation]
Reminds me of Dr. Suess. "I will put in in the trash, and I will put it in the sewer." Doesn't rhyme, though.

Why "Fix" the iPad? It's not broken. It's just not what I, and you, want.

Status
Not open for further replies.