Five Ways Apple Can Fix the iPad

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dancunder

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Ok, I ave alsways considerd myself a die-hard Windows camper, but somehow, I started admiring apple's ingenuity after purchasing a Snow Leopard MacBook for my wife. Being a big fan of tablet technology (Lenovo/Win7 implementation anyway) I was really hoping for apple to push for a new revolution in the direction of touch computing. But what is this? Really an ITouch on steroids as everyone calls it? I was expecting:

Mac OS (what ever you say about size/performance, Itouch/phone software is a joke for me)
Web Cam
media card reader
Maybe a bigger than 10' screen

Looks like I am sticking to the MS camp with the goodies HP and Lenovo are coming out with.

I consider this a huge victory for Win 7 touch implementation.

Peace

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]However for your information, Apple does have an optional accessory that will allow us to read our SD card. "iPad Camera Connection KitThe Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.[/citation]
Thanks a lot Apple, you are going to charge even more money to buy something that will allow me to plug in a USB device. Maybe a USB port could have done that. Then maybe if the OS supported it I could have used that USB port to plug in a webcam.

No USB = Insanity

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ToiletDuck[/nom]The best thing about the iPad is soon there will be windows based competitors that do more. Add a cd slot to the side, put in a SD mem card slot, make it an inch bigger then I'm sold.[/citation]
Soon?
They've been around for 9 years.
Don't say 'soon' or people will believe the Apple bullshit that they "invented" the tablet.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Apple Fanboys are mad cause ipad SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha, these articles SUCK, stop bitttchiiin about it, they wont change their products based on what you say....

aa...yes...btw....apple sucks !!!

G

I completely agree with these 5 suggestions. Without them iPad is a failure even before the start. Apple should fix these issues, give more freedom to the their customers using iPad!

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I cannot imagine paying this much for something without a real OS. There are plenty of tablets with Win7.

The Archos 9 looks fantastic compared to the iPad.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
sorry to break it to you sot010174 apple isnt the first here... bill gates had this stuff back in xp days, it just never went mainstream... and for that matter... how about any of the wm6 phones... this is just a supersized iphone without the phone... windows 7 is great i have 5 second boot times from post on my pc and guess what the apple system with the same hardware is upwards of 3grand i paid 1.2 with os and i have RIGHT MOUSE CLICK

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
1) It DOES multitask. App switching is no different than Alt-Tab, it does not "quit" the app provided the developer codes for proper support (most do). Dowloads continue in the background. Push and notifications still work. You can still engage in chat while switching (near automatically) between an app and a chat app, and music keeps playing in the background. Yes, it needs a better app-switching UI, but that's that iPad OS 4 is for (forthcoming, confirmed in development). The iPod/iTunes interface is also getting cloud streaming support and an API for 3rd parties, which is also being ported to the iPhone. Simply wait and you'll have all you ask.
2) It "IS" an iPad specific OS, it's simply based on the iPhone OS interface which is based on the OS X Kernel. Also, the new dev agreements have much fewer restrictions, and the iPad has many fewer built in apps, so most of the iPhone dev restrictions simply do not apply to this device. Now all it means is there's a simpoly review process for validating that apps are 1) not trojans, 2) enforce devs to hold to slightly better code standards, and 3 provides better protection from pirating of apps, meaning devs can sell more of them at lower prices. I LIKE this model... I wish Windows 8 would do this...
3) Flash is dead. Move on. WebKit, HTML5 and Java can do EVERYTHING and more than Flash does, and without proprietary license terms and with much less CPU overhead, and no more vulnerabilties exploited in flash. The sooner everyone accepts this, the quicker we'll be past it and no longer be chained to a boat that's sinking.
4) Who said they didn't plan to add HDMI? The dock port is capable, they just don't have the adapter yet. It already does 1024x768 out and supports 720P, so on on HDMI you should get full 720p output (if not possibly 1080p). This can be enabled with a firmware change and a dongle.
5) An SD Card adapter, as well as a USB adapter are available already. a USB port would not fit in the form factor, even a USB mini would not fit flush with the casing preoperly. Further, that would weaken the seal quality of the device subjecting it more to weather issues and sand. I'm fine having an external adapter, and with at least 32GB internal (yea, 16 is too small unless it never leaves your home or you don;t store video on it), and with iDisk and streaming support, additional storage in the form of a near-permanantly installed SD card is not critical, and with the price of 32GB SDs, you might as well just upgrade to the 64GB model...
6) Webcam is something only a few will use (25% maybe?). Most who are asking for a camera were asking for one that pointed both towards and away (2 cameras). By using the dock connector for an iSight add on, that can easily be achieved without charging the majority of people for a camera they don't care for. Also, the camera doc could easily use a PnS camera as a webcam (most support that today) or just a regular webcam... It's a "nice to have" feature, but I prefer options and a lower price personally...

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Not even as sophisticated as a tampon. Just slap it on and hope it sticks. Apple Almighty has an "iFail" here I think. It's just an ipod super-sized to appeal to the Apple junkies.

Sarthurn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Had it had a webcam, and would let you install lets say, OOVOO, or their own software built in, he could of really wowed the crowded by doing a video conference on it, let's say talking to Woz, at the same time he was doing his demo, that might have been a bit "magical"...

Expandable memory I agree. I mean the size of SD cards are so small, so you are saying they could not have added a slot(s) for one or more?

Finally, maybe someday, it will have something like that new INTEL device they are putting in notebooks that wirelessly transmitts to an HDTV receiver. It has to be pretty small to fit in a notebook... Maybe the 3Gs version of the MaxiPad will have it.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]Can't wait for the iCar[/citation]
You'll have to buy the road you want to drive on through the AppStore... not really convenient!

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]1) It DOES multitask. App switching is no different than Alt-Tab, it does not "quit" the app provided the developer codes for proper support (most do). Dowloads continue in the background. Push and notifications still work. You can still engage in chat while switching (near automatically) between an app and a chat app, and music keeps playing in the background. Yes, it needs a better app-switching UI, but that's that iPad OS 4 is for (forthcoming, confirmed in development). The iPod/iTunes interface is also getting cloud streaming support and an API for 3rd parties, which is also being ported to the iPhone. Simply wait and you'll have all you ask.2) It "IS" an iPad specific OS, it's simply based on the iPhone OS interface which is based on the OS X Kernel. Also, the new dev agreements have much fewer restrictions, and the iPad has many fewer built in apps, so most of the iPhone dev restrictions simply do not apply to this device. Now all it means is there's a simpoly review process for validating that apps are 1) not trojans, 2) enforce devs to hold to slightly better code standards, and 3 provides better protection from pirating of apps, meaning devs can sell more of them at lower prices. I LIKE this model... I wish Windows 8 would do this... 3) Flash is dead. Move on. WebKit, HTML5 and Java can do EVERYTHING and more than Flash does, and without proprietary license terms and with much less CPU overhead, and no more vulnerabilties exploited in flash. The sooner everyone accepts this, the quicker we'll be past it and no longer be chained to a boat that's sinking.4) Who said they didn't plan to add HDMI? The dock port is capable, they just don't have the adapter yet. It already does 1024x768 out and supports 720P, so on on HDMI you should get full 720p output (if not possibly 1080p). This can be enabled with a firmware change and a dongle. 5) An SD Card adapter, as well as a USB adapter are available already. a USB port would not fit in the form factor, even a USB mini would not fit flush with the casing preoperly. Further, that would weaken the seal quality of the device subjecting it more to weather issues and sand. I'm fine having an external adapter, and with at least 32GB internal (yea, 16 is too small unless it never leaves your home or you don;t store video on it), and with iDisk and streaming support, additional storage in the form of a near-permanantly installed SD card is not critical, and with the price of 32GB SDs, you might as well just upgrade to the 64GB model... 6) Webcam is something only a few will use (25% maybe?). Most who are asking for a camera were asking for one that pointed both towards and away (2 cameras). By using the dock connector for an iSight add on, that can easily be achieved without charging the majority of people for a camera they don't care for. Also, the camera doc could easily use a PnS camera as a webcam (most support that today) or just a regular webcam... It's a "nice to have" feature, but I prefer options and a lower price personally...[/citation]

Ok, so what kind of carrying case do I need to purchase to carry my iPad, iPad Dock, my SD Card adapter and USB Adapter?

Do you realize how asinine it sounds to have a TABLET computer require a plethora of docks and dongles in order to serve the most basic of functions that devices for half the price have standard?

It's a totally useless device, and I'm not totally anti-mac. I think they make pretty good products, and their laptops are wonderful.

This device is just tightrope, rather than a bridge, between a laptop and and iPhone/Smartphone.

mage182

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
At 1ghz I don't think it can handle multitasking. That is why they don't allow it and why the programs run so smooth, there is only one program at a time running. My dell netbook at 1.6ghz and 2 gigs of ram running OSX still chokes once you get more than 2 or 3 progs running. So how would this be able to handle it?

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
it looks like the iPhone success got to their heads and let them believe that a big touch was a magical device, without paying any attention to what people actually want tablets to do. Despite its drawbacks, the iPhone did do some things that other devices its size did not. This has all the limitations, without the portability. Utterfail.

G

Attention removable battery trolls: please fuck off. That is all.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Marcus YAM!!!!!

gimme a break.....AS IF!!!! you people act like apple developers are some sort of tough guys.....

id be the first one to throw down if someone tried to silence me and i would make sure it was public and that they got humiliated badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.