matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
Hi Guys, yesterday I dropped my laptop off a table. It was a pretty hard smack. Nothing physical from the outside of the laptop is broken (I also didn't see anything broken inside the laptop like a broken wire or something, but I'm not an expert.) Since then my display is flickering. Also I can see some very small white pixels that light up white. Does anyone know what can be broken? Could it be a wire or do i probably need to replace my whole screen. It is a HP envy x360 15-cn0300nd, so a convertible and touchscreen laptop, both options still work fine. What is strange is that after the drop the problem started, but for a few hours after I restarted the laptop the screen worked perfectly, no flickering and also no white pixels. the next day the problem came back.
In the link is a YouTube video were you can see the problem. Thank you in advance!

Link to problem:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8ELtOyu98

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
That flickering is bad. Looks like busted display. Could be GPU too.

But without actual diagnostic (e.g in PC repair shop), it's impossible to tell what is busted. Though, in a way, it is miracle that laptop still works, somewhat.

So, i suggest hauling it to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics + repairs.

matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
That flickering is bad. Looks like busted display. Could be GPU too.

But without actual diagnostic (e.g in PC repair shop), it's impossible to tell what is busted. Though, in a way, it is miracle that laptop still works, somewhat.

So, i suggest hauling it to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics + repairs.
Hi Aecus, yeah I think that's the only option too. I edited some details to the thread. What's strange is that it worked perfectly for a few hours. So it shouldn't be some 'permenant' damage. Anyway might still be the best to just bring it to a repair shop.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So it shouldn't be some 'permenant' damage.
Today's electronics are fragile and if you smack it to the ground, it not working anymore or giving you issues is a must.

You can narrow things down a bit by using external monitor. If image on external monitor produces the same artifacts, then it most likely is GPU issue. But if artifacts go away, you busted your screen.

Reactions: matthiasvdbroek3