sid

Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
happening? Thanks very much!

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

For an automated Edit go here:

Read the instructions at the top of the page.
Scroll down to:
260. Right hand side.
System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
> everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
> happening? Thanks very much!

sid

Hey thanks for your help but the tweak doesn't work - it's says the expected
registry value does not exist

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>
> For an automated Edit go here:
>
> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
> Scroll down to:
> 260. Right hand side.
> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
> Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
> > everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
> > happening? Thanks very much!

If you use Norton's, they have a fix on their site, somewhere

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Sid" <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCF13A7C-9513-4870-8255-A10291E7E329@microsoft.com...
> Hey thanks for your help but the tweak doesn't work - it's says the expected
> registry value does not exist
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>
>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>
>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>> Scroll down to:
>> 260. Right hand side.
>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
>> Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
>> > everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
>> > happening? Thanks very much!

Sid,

This message?
[[This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not
found.]]

The script looks for SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
This is a real common problem with Dell machines that have an OEM version of
the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card. But it isn't the only thing that
causes the System32 folder to open at startup.

Have a look at this..
System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

If you aren't sure about what's goofy, open Registry Editor...
Start | run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>
Right click on the Run folder | Click Export | Select Desktop | For file
name Run1 | For Save as type select Text File | Click the Save button

Navigate to >>
Right click on the Run folder | Click Export | Select Desktop | For file
name Run2 | For Save as type select Text File | Click the Save button

Go to the Desktop and open both Run1.txt and Run2.txt, copy everything and
paste it into a message and post back.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:FCF13A7C-9513-4870-8255-A10291E7E329@microsoft.com,
Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hey thanks for your help but the tweak doesn't work - it's says the
> expected registry value does not exist
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>
>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>
>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>> Scroll down to:
>> 260. Right hand side.
>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
>> Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
>>> everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
>>> happening? Thanks very much!

sid

Hello Wesley thanks for all your help so far - this is RUN1 :

Key Name:
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 7/29/2005 - 6:08 PM
Value 0
Name: ctfmon.exe
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe

Value 1
Name: STManager
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\SpeedTouch\Dr SpeedTouch\drst.exe" -b

Value 2
Name: Skype
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash
/minimized

Value 3
Name: PaperQuote '01
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\PaperQuote\PQ.exe

And this is RUN2

Key Name:
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 8/1/2005 - 11:22 AM
Value 0
Name: Zone Labs Client
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

Value 1
Name: UpdateManager
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update
Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

Value 2
Name: TkBellExe
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

Value 3
Name: Symantec NetDriver Monitor
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer

Value 4
Name: SunJavaUpdateSched
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe

Value 5
Name: SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe"
/icon

Value 6
Name: QuickTime Task
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

Value 7
Name: PCSuiteTrayApplication
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\TRAYAP~1.EXE

Value 8
Name: iTunesHelper
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

Value 9
Name: IgfxTray
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe

Value 10
Name: HotKeysCmds
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe

Value 11
Name: eTrustPPAP
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust
PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe"

Value 12
Name: DVDSentry
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe

Value 13
Name: DataLayer
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\DATALA~1\DATALA~1.EXE

Value 14
Name: ccRegVfy
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"

Value 15
Name: <NO NAME>
Type: REG_SZ

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 4/23/2005 - 6:38 PM

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 4/23/2005 - 6:38 PM
Value 0
Name: Installed
Type: REG_SZ
Data: 1

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI
Data: 1

Value 1
Name: NoChange
Type: REG_SZ
Data: 1

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS
Data: 1

Once again many thanks for your ongoing help, it is very kind of you and
much appreciated.

Sid

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> The script looks for SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu value in
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> This is a real common problem with Dell machines that have an OEM version of
> the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card. But it isn't the only thing that
> causes the System32 folder to open at startup.

Hello Wes,

Thanks for the heads up on this matter. Your link and description of the
problem allowed me to correct the system32 issue that I was having with my
Dell 8400 and Audigy2 card.

To all who are reading this message... check out the link that Wes provided.
It appears to have a lot of good fixes.

-Rick

i have exacly the same problem
that thing at kellys korner doesnt work and i dont understand the
windows support one
their idiots

i did what you said to do

this is run1

Key Name:
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 8/26/2005 - 2:26 PM
Value 0
Name: PCMService
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media
Experience\PCMService.exe"

Value 1
Name: IntelMeM
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event
Monitor\IntelMEM.exe

Value 2
Name: DVDLauncher
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program
Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"

Value 3
Name: dla
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

Value 4
Name: UpdateManager
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update
Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

Value 5
Name: Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer
922\dlbtbmgr.exe"

Value 6
Name: AVG7_CC
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

Value 7
Data: C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\Launch
Application 2.exe -onlytray

Value 8
Name: DataLayer
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\DATALA~1\DATALA~1.EXE

Value 9
Name: Time Sync
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Time Sync\time.exe

Value 10
Name: gcasServ
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

Value 11
Name: MessengerPlus3
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"

Value 12
Name: WildTangent CDA
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\GameDrvr.exe"
/startup "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0500.dll"

Value 13
Name: Tsl2
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsl2.exe

Value 14
Name: TkBellExe
Type: REG_SZ

Data: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

Value 16
Name: CloneCDTray
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe"
/s

Value 17
Name: CleanIt
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\CleanIt\cleanit.exe

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 12/28/2004 - 4:41 PM

Data: 1

Value 1
Name: NoChange
Type: REG_SZ

Data: 1

Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media
Experience\PCMService.exe"

Value 1
Name: IntelMeM
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event
Monitor\IntelMEM.exe

Value 2
Name: DVDLauncher
Type: REG_SZ

Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

Value 4
Name: UpdateManager
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update
Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer
922\dlbtbmgr.exe"

Value 6
Name: AVG7_CC
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

Value 7
Data: C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\Launch
Application 2.exe -onlytray

Value 8
Name: DataLayer
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\DATALA~1\DATALA~1.EXE

Value 9
Name: Time Sync
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Time Sync\time.exe

Value 10
Name: gcasServ
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

Value 11
Name: MessengerPlus3
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"

Value 12
Name: WildTangent CDA
Type: REG_SZ

Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsl2.exe

Value 14
Name: TkBellExe
Type: REG_SZ

Data: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

Value 16
Name: CloneCDTray
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe"
/s

Value 17
Name: CleanIt
Type: REG_SZ

Data: 1

Value 1
Name: NoChange
Type: REG_SZ

Data: 1

--
shane_ishga

can someone please help me
please

--
shane_ishga

"shane_ishga" wrote:

> i have exacly the same problem
> that thing at kellys korner doesnt work and i dont understand the
> windows support one
> their idiots

Hello shane_ishga,

To clarify things before you begin, I AM NOT a computer expert (nor an
"idiot") and I have screwed up my system more times than I have been able to
correct on my own... so take this response for what it is worth.

I followed Wesley's instructions and downloaded the file that was named.

(This is where it gets sketchy because it's been a while since I made my
repairs)
After downloading this file I went into Windows Explorer and double clicked
on the contents. My system seemed to recognize this file and appearred to
load it into memory. When I rebooted my system afterwards... the dreaded
System32 screen had stopped loading at start up.

Needless to say... I was one happy camper. As of this date, the System32
screen has not mysteriously reappeared at startup. I hope this works for you
also.

If this does not work for you... I apologize... I don't know what else to
tell you. Also, please keep in mind that you do this at your own risk as I
have no idea if it will work on your system or make matters worse!

-Rick

thank you

but that file from kellys korner is for the sb audigy thingy
and i dont have that so its not the cause

--
shane_ishga

sid

Yeah I had the same prob - it said that the expected registry value was not
found

can anyone check out the registry values listed and tell whether it's one of
those??