May 26, 2022
Hello, I'm looking for a quiet case at load with not too high temperatures. I know that's a bit contradictory but I'd like to find a good balance between the two as my computer is currently annoyingly audible at idle and frustratingly loud at load.
My system is built with a Ryzen 3700x with stock cooler, 32GB RAM and a 2080Ti. I use it for video editing. Can't quite remember which case I got but it's got a tempered glass front panel with 3x120mm fans that can't be controlled.

I did some research and took note of the following:

Fractal Torrent Compact - Case Torture, 100% RPM Stock Fans, 47dBA:Fractal Define R6 - Case Torture, 100% RPM Stock Fans, 33dBA:Fractal Torrent Compact - Case Torture, 50% RPM Stock Fans, Noise-Normalized to 36dBA:
CPU: 41.1ºC over ambient
GPU: 51.2ºC over ambient
CPU: 56.0ºC over ambient
GPU: 56.4ºC over ambient
CPU: 44.3ºC over ambient
GPU: 55.8ºC over ambient
Source: Torrent Compact | Define R6

Both cases also happened to just go on sale at a local store, the Torrent Compact is 139.90€ (previously 169.90€) and the Define R6 is 89.90€ (previously 164.90€), until the 12th of June. These are very, very good prices. I'm also probably going to purchase a Noctua NH-D15S (can get one for 45€).
The Torrent Compact doesn't benefit at all from swapping fans and unfortunately I can't find any information on the R6's acoustics/thermals with swapped fans. I'd like to see how it fairs with Noctuas AF-14 as I wonder if it could maintain the 33db but decrease thermals.
The Fractal R6 also benefits from the ease of opening the front panel like a door to decrease thermals, but that also increases the noise to 39dBA which, I think, is really loud.

Here are a few of my questions:
  • What would be more worth it?
- Invest in the 89.90€ Fractal Define R6 and potentially add/swap fans to the case (which will likely get more expensive than getting the Torrent Compact alone);​
- Purchase the 139.90€ Torrent Compact, decrease its fans' RPM and call it a day.​

• Is 36dBA audible at all? I've heard some people say it's easily audible and others saying it's silent so I'm a bit unsure.
  • With my current setup, my CPU sometimes reaches temperatures of 80ºC while editing, although it mostly averages the 70s, and my GPU has seen temperatures of 80ºC as well. Are these too high? At what temperatures does the CPU start losing performance? I heard Ryzens decrease their clock speed after, I think, 75ºC? I'd like to aim for temperatures below at least 75ºC but ideally in the 60s, but this could also change depending on the answer to this question.

• Using the data we have above, is there any way of estimating the temperatures of the CPU and GPU if I were to lower the Torrent's RPM even further 'til it hits 33dBA? Would installing 2x140mm fans on the bottom of the case help since I could lower RPM on all fans but have more airflow, decreasing noise and thermals?
  • Finally, just to make sure I got it right, both cases have PWM controllers, right?
Thank you for your help.

Solution
Can't quite remember which case I got but it's got a tempered glass front panel with 3x120mm fans that can't be controlled
are there other aspects of your current case that you do not like and would like to change?
you could always save some money and just add 4-5 nice PWM fans to this one.
best case scenario; 3x intakes, 2x exhaust.

you should be able to find a sticker or other info regarding your current case model/serial either on the right side behind the motherboard mounting tray or underneath the bottom.
and hopefully would still have invoice and/or included documentation at least for warranty services if ever needed.
include make & model if so.

also include your motherboard make & model.
for PWM control of any fan or...
Can't quite remember which case I got but it's got a tempered glass front panel with 3x120mm fans that can't be controlled
are there other aspects of your current case that you do not like and would like to change?
you could always save some money and just add 4-5 nice PWM fans to this one.
best case scenario; 3x intakes, 2x exhaust.

you should be able to find a sticker or other info regarding your current case model/serial either on the right side behind the motherboard mounting tray or underneath the bottom.
and hopefully would still have invoice and/or included documentation at least for warranty services if ever needed.
include make & model if so.

for PWM control of any fan or case fan hub you will need to have PWM motherboard headers available.
Is 36dBA audible at all?
39dBA which, I think, is really loud
it all depends on the ambient noise in the room.
some louder ceiling fans, air conditioners, etc may cover this range of sound but it's unlikely.
i would say on average you could hear this fairly well in any quiet environment.

if you think 39dBA is really loud then 36 will also bother you.
my CPU sometimes reaches temperatures of 80ºC while editing, although it mostly averages the 70s, and my GPU has seen temperatures of 80ºC as well. Are these too high?..
I heard Ryzens decrease their clock speed after, I think, 75ºC?
this won't decrease performance with any CPU or GPU.
no thermal throttling until getting closer to the high 90s°C
some turbo functions of some CPUs may not kick in as high with >80°C but nothing you would notice only doing home editing.
is there any way of estimating the temperatures of the CPU and GPU
this will be totally dependent on the ambient temperatures of the room where the system is located,
the amount of this cooler outside air is making it's way into the system,
where specific fans are mounted and how restricted their airflow may be,
the exact CPU, GPU, RAM, drives, power supply, motherboard, etc in use,
and how well and how much of the internally heated air is being exhausted out of the case.

this is always a case by case basis with no definite values to be figured until the system is put together and in use.
What would be more worth it?
a lot of the Fractal Design cases come with sound dampening materials but are also not built for the best airflow.

my Vector RS is a similar design to the Define R6 and my front intakes need to run a bit higher RPM/louder to pull enough air in through the front-side vents rather than with direct front airflow.
my fans being exceptionally quiet while still powerful negates this aspect though.

and the Torrent Compact having 2x 180mm front intakes and a mesh front cover should offer a lot of cool air intake with minimal RPM but not having any top exhaust means the air needs to be forced out through the rear so they may need to run a bit faster.
and i really don't like top mounted power supplies. the fact that it will be taking in warm internal air may mean that the PSU fan will be running extra loud.

Solution
Can't quite remember which case I got but it's got a tempered glass front panel with 3x120mm fans that can't be controlled.

Fan control is typically controlled by the motherboard, not the case....so I'm a little puzzled.

I gather you are positive you will change coolers to a big Noctua with any new case and may be OK with changing case fans on any new case.

If that is true, my first idea would be to try the new Noctua and different high quality PWM case fans in the current case....with the understanding that they would be transferable to any new case later if that actually happens.

You might avoid the expense of a new case and would get a good reading on what better cooling hardware might do if you eventually bought a new case.

Obviously discard this idea if you can't stand the current case or if the Noctua won't fit in it.

There's an awful lot of speculation and unknowns regarding cooling changes. Expect to be surprised. Temper all of your expectations with whatever anxiety you have about temperatures generally.

Pretty much any fan will be audible at 3 or 4 feet if spinning above 1000 rpm. Prepare to trade off temps for noise to some extent. Don't know which bothers you more. Don't get wound up in 33 db versus 36 db distinctions.

Fan control is typically controlled by the motherboard, not the case....so I'm a little puzzled
there are many instances where 3pin or 4pin fans will be connected to a case hub with no connection to a motherboard header.

in these instances with nicer cases there will be an included front panel button or switch for high, medium, quiet, etc control options.

with lesser quality cases they may just be set to a static RPM or voltage level.

and though i haven't seen any modern devices using them in years, there are also molex powered fans that only have a single static speed available.

Last edited:
First of all, your cpu and gpu temperatures are normal and good.

Noise comes from fans running at higher rpm.

Case fans can be speed controlled.
It depends on how they are connected.
Connected to a motherboard fan header, there will be a fan profile setting in the motherboard bios.
You might want to lower the speeds at lower loads.
GPU fan profiles can be controlled via software.

If you are inclined to change your case, look for one with larger intake fans.
140mm fans will move more air at lower rpm.
If you want quiet, look at the 180mm fans on the Torrent option.

NH-D15s is about as good as it gets for air cooling.
The 140mm fan it uses will be quieter than the stock cooler fan. (92mm I think)

How much sound can bother you is also determined by how far away the source is.
Place your case more distant if you can.
You can buy a front panel extension like this to get it 6 feet away:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-LIT...297&sprefix=remote+power+switch,aps,89&sr=8-4

May 26, 2022

Oh yeah, I definitely want to get rid of this case. I've grown tired of it, the fan controller doesn't have any PWM pins, it has a hard time bringing air in from the front, I'm not super into tempered glass front panels anymore and I want a visual change ahah

Thank you so much, I was able to find its model and it is a Kolink Observatory RGB.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite.

this won't decrease performance with any CPU or GPU.
no thermal throttling until getting closer to the high 90s°C
some turbo functions of some CPUs may not kick in as high with >80°C but nothing you would notice only doing home editing.

That's really good to know, thank you so much!
I use Premiere and After Effects and mostly 4k and 1080p footage, do it as my job, is it still alright?

a lot of the Fractal Design cases come with sound dampening materials but are also not built for the best airflow.

Right, about this, I've also had people tell me that sometimes there's also the frequencies and coil whine that can be heard through the case even if the fans are quiet. The sound dampening materials on the R6 also stop these, right? The Torrent Compact doesn't have any so I wonder if that'd be an issue.

my fans being exceptionally quiet while still powerful negates this aspect though.

Which fans are you rocking by the way?

and the Torrent Compact having 2x 180mm front intakes and a mesh front cover should offer a lot of cool air intake with minimal RPM but not having any top exhaust means the air needs to be forced out through the rear so they may need to run a bit faster.
and i really don't like top mounted power supplies. the fact that it will be taking in warm internal air may mean that the PSU fan will be running extra loud.

Hmm, that's true, didn't consider that. That does make me want to gravitate more towards the R6, though those 2x180mm fans on the Torrent seem really appealing as well for having so much room to play with their RPM.

If that is true, my first idea would be to try the new Noctua and different high quality PWM case fans in the current case

Ah, I do appreciate the suggestion, but I want to replace the case altogether for more reasons beyond the noise it makes (see above)

Pretty much any fan will be audible at 3 or 4 feet if spinning above 1000 rpm. Prepare to trade off temps for noise to some extent. Don't know which bothers you more. Don't get wound up in 33 db versus 36 db distinctions.

Thank you so much for your insight!

First of all, your cpu and gpu temperatures are normal and good.

Thank you so much, that's a relief to know!

Noise comes from fans running at higher rpm.

Case fans can be speed controlled.
It depends on how they are connected.
Connected to a motherboard fan header, there will be a fan profile setting in the motherboard bios.
You might want to lower the speeds at lower loads.

One problem is that my motherboard only has one 4-pin fan header available (SYS_FAN2), which, and correct me if I'm wrong, would only let me control one of the case fans (it has 3 in the front and 1 in the back). I suppose there are splitters and I might actually try that first if there's a splitter for 3 fans as I'm assuming that's super cheap, but I'd also like to change case altogether for other reasons I mentioned above, one of which being how hard of a time this case has taking air in through the front-side vents (they're a bit restricted by the sides of the fans instead of being past the fans). Thank you so much for your insight!

Last edited:
Which fans are you rocking
Silent Wings 3,
you can see the setup in my signature.
I definitely want to get rid of this case
Fractal Design does make some good options
but one of the best cases i've worked with in years is the be quiet! Silent Base 802.
modular panels with options for sound dampening material for noise reduction, fully ventilated for higher airflow, or a mix of both.
solid(also sound dampened) or glass side panel versions available.
modular right or left oriented motherboard tray.
comes with some pretty nice 140mm fans and a nice fan hub.
+ very nice & easy to build in.

i still have a be quiet! Dark Base 700 housing a backup Z370 based system and these two be quiet! cases are the highest quality construction and engineering i've ever seen.
i definitely would've gone with the Silent Base 802 if it had been around when i was last looking for a new case.
my motherboard only has one 4-pin fan header available (SYS_FAN2), which, and correct me if I'm wrong, would only let me control one of the case fans
included fan hub has a 4pin PWM out cable that would lead to this single SYS_FAN header allowing a single PWM profile for any connected fans.

May 26, 2022
Silent Wings 3,
you can see the setup in my signature.

Oh sorry, apparently signature doesn't show on mobile ahah Thank you!

but one of the best cases i've worked with in years is the be quiet! Silent Base 802.
modular panels with options for sound dampening material for noise reduction, fully ventilated for higher airflow, or a mix of both.
solid(also sound dampened) or glass side panel versions available.
modular right or left oriented motherboard tray.
comes with some pretty nice 140mm fans and a nice fan hub.
+ very nice & easy to build in.

i still have a be quiet! Dark Base 700 housing a backup Z370 based system and these two be quiet! cases are the highest quality construction and engineering i've ever seen.
i definitely would've gone with the Silent Base 802 if it had been around when i was last looking for a new case.

That's a very interesting case, it seems really versatile. I really like the idea of a modular case like this.
Just had a look around for it as well but it jumps way out of my budget, costing around 200€ and unfortunately no stores near me are selling it.

included fan hub has a 4pin PWM out cable that would lead to this single SYS_FAN header allowing a single PWM profile for any connected fans.

Sorry, do you mean the Silent Base 802 or my Kolink? I just looked at my hub again and noticed two of the ports are 4-pin, unlike all the others where my fans are connected which have 6 pins. Here's a picture. (4-pins on the right, 6-pin on top) I'm assuming that's it?
However, looking through all of my components' boxes, including case and motherboard, I can't find any cable that'd go in there and then to the motherboard so I'm guessing I have to buy it separately, but all I can find are extension cables where one of the ends would not fit either the motherboard or the hub.

Last edited:
Sorry, do you mean the Silent Base 802 or my Kolink?
the be quiet!, the Fractal Design models, and the majority of nicer cases should function this way.
noticed two of the ports are 4-pin, unlike all the others where my fans are connected which have 6 pins.
there are some fans out there that have a 6pin cable which handles both RPMs & LEDs simultaneously.
I can't find any cable that'd go in there and then to the motherboard so I'm guessing I have to buy it separately
yeah, i wouldn't put too much thought into it if you are definitely changing out the case soon anyway.

May 26, 2022
the be quiet!, the Fractal Design models, and the majority of nicer cases should function this way.

there are some fans out there that have a 6pin cable which handles both RPMs & LEDs simultaneously.

yeah, i wouldn't put too much thought into it if you are definitely changing out the case soon anyway.

Thank you so very much for all your guidance, it was very helpful!

That's a very interesting case, it seems really versatile. I really like the idea of a modular case like this.
Just had a look around for it as well but it jumps way out of my budget, costing around 200€ and unfortunately no stores near me are selling it.
be quiet! is a German manufacturer and their products should be available, for shipping anyway, anywhere nearby to there.
a lot of components have been more difficult to find in stock these last couple years though.
it jumps way out of my budget
with cases and power supplies i usually have a rather lenient budget in mind.
considering that i will usually use both through at least 2 or 3 builds i figure it's going to be worth it to pay a bit more for extra quality & reliability over all of those years.