Question Gamechat problems in game ethernet & wifi

Ramzyy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2016
Hi guys,

So basically I hopped on Fortnite to play with some mates, noticed my mic wasn't working and I couldn't hear them either, couldn't figure out what was wrong checked all settings apps permissions and so on then I somehow came up with the idea of unplugging my ethernet cable and using WiFi instead and worked, didn't even have to restart the game. My question is why is that happening?? Thanks!

Did it work when you plugged the ethernet cable back in.

You don't have to restart the game the session dropped and restarted itself. Hard to say what the game does exactly when that happens.

This is going to depend on if the problem is actual sound issue on the machine or if they problem is game related. In many cases the voice chat function in game is on a completely different session than the game itself. In some ways this would be like you used discord for comms when you played the game. I do not know in detail how fornite works but they very well could have a different server and for some reason you lost the session to the voice server but not the game server.

In the end the network itself has no idea what kind of data you are sending. It is all just a bunch of binary numbers the network only look at the headers. kinda like you mailman only looks at the address data on the outside of the envelope but does not care what is inside.