Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
Hello everyone, i would appreciate a lot your help in this.

So, i've been having this problem since i updated NVIDIA drivers to 471.11 ver.
The first time it happened my pc specs were:

Intel i5 4460 w stock cooler
Kingston Fury 8GB 1600mhz DDR3
Gigabyte B85M-D3H-A
SSD Kingston A400 240GB
WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Strix GTX 970
Corsair CX500M

When it happened the first time i was playing WoW. Everything was fine until out of nowhere crashed. After the crash, i launch it again and as soon as the world and character loads, it crashes again. The crash message was:

WoW was unable to start 3D acceleration.

Tried playing Overwatch and it crashed too. The crash message was:

Your rendering device has been lost.

This was 10-14 days ago. I upgraded CPU, MOBO and RAM because the other computer was old, and my RAM had been failing for some time. Now i've:

i5 10400F w CM 212 EVO v2
MSI B460M Mortar
Kingston Fury 16GB 2666mhz
Everything else stayed.

This seemed to have fixed the issue, i could play everything no problem, in fact, the old CPU was bottlenecking the 970 because the performance gain was amazing with the change.
So, in this case i was using the 456.71 nvidia drivers. I played one week no problems. Two days ago, i updated drivers to 471.22 (Hotfix for 471.11). And yesterday, again, was playing WoW no issues, then it crashed again. And the problem came back. Now i can't play any games.

Rollbacking drivers doesn't work (not even with DDU).
Reinstalling Windows helped me once, however, while the games no longer crash on launch, they sometimes crash after some minutes.
Temps are normal for every component.

In the NVIDIA Forums i'm seeing a lot of people having similar problems after the 471.11 update.

Also, the dxdiag note points to a LiveKernelEvent 141 error.
LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Maxwell_3D, tipo 0
The Event viewer says:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

So anyone has any idea what it could be? Is it driver related? GPU failing? PSU failing?
Because aside from games, my pc is working perfectly, no trouble at startup, the programs launch fast, no BSOD, no display artifacts, etc. It is just games.

Last edited:

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
did you do a fresh os install for the new system?
I did a clean install and the problem persists which tells me it's probably a hardware issue.
So in this case, do you think it is the GPU or the PSU? There were some times that i managed to run Overwatch and Unigine Heaven for like 2 minutes until it froze. The pc works perfectly fine on idle.
However, i noted some artifacts appearing on Steam. No artifacts on desktop, videos, while loading Windows, none. Just on Steam and sometimes in games before crashing.

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
latest motherboard bios?
Yes. Bios up to date. I saw some errors on the event viewer:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000001

and

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: MISSING_MACRO_DATA

Both from nvlddmkm. And there's one fix out there that tells me to rename that file (thats supposed to be on system32) but i've got no nvlddmkm file.

Jul 15, 2021
hi, just made an account and posting here to say you are not alone. yesterday i noticed windows update pushed "NVIDIA - Display - 8/13/2018 12:00:00 AM - 24.21.13.9901"

i just let it run, but it was my mistake, because my drivers were newer (as of this post we're on 471.11 on version 30.0.14.7111 -- 6 revisions behind!!)

i noticed a lot of issues, my dual monitor setup with my laptop kept crashing or tabbing out. i knew it was this ah heck that was the issue so i tried to do a system restore, turns out it just put me in a boot loop and couldnt do anything. had to do a clean install of windows last night and today i spent the whole day getting all my stuff back and poking at nvidia's drivers with DDU and installing the entire package from their website as opposed to using the geforce experience launcher. while the drivers work fine for my games, i keep getting random crashes just like you. ive played genshin impact, fortnite, and csgo so far and all three randomly just tab out or crash and event viewer says the exact same thing.

i tried to remove the update with wushowhide.diagcab but could not find it on there. guess we're just SOL until microsoft pushes something to fix it or someone smart finds the solution

ive updated as much as i can and am on 20H2 build 19042.1110 (checked through winver) and i dont know what else to do other than wait it out. im too scared to do a rollback again because i dont want to spend another 12 hours installing and moving things over. if i find anything else ill definitely post it here. a LOT of people on the internet seem to be having the same thing --- thanks microsoft

it is a relief to see this post and im glad someone else is going through this (well not really). its just been a frustrating day and i hope we both get it resolved soon one way or another

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
hi, just made an account and posting here to say you are not alone. yesterday i noticed windows update pushed "NVIDIA - Display - 8/13/2018 12:00:00 AM - 24.21.13.9901"

i just let it run, but it was my mistake, because my drivers were newer (as of this post we're on 471.11 on version 30.0.14.7111 -- 6 revisions behind!!)

i noticed a lot of issues, my dual monitor setup with my laptop kept crashing or tabbing out. i knew it was this ah heck that was the issue so i tried to do a system restore, turns out it just put me in a boot loop and couldnt do anything. had to do a clean install of windows last night and today i spent the whole day getting all my stuff back and poking at nvidia's drivers with DDU and installing the entire package from their website as opposed to using the geforce experience launcher. while the drivers work fine for my games, i keep getting random crashes just like you. ive played genshin impact, fortnite, and csgo so far and all three randomly just tab out or crash and event viewer says the exact same thing.

i tried to remove the update with wushowhide.diagcab but could not find it on there. guess we're just SOL until microsoft pushes something to fix it or someone smart finds the solution

ive updated as much as i can and am on 20H2 build 19042.1110 (checked through winver) and i dont know what else to do other than wait it out. im too scared to do a rollback again because i dont want to spend another 12 hours installing and moving things over. if i find anything else ill definitely post it here. a LOT of people on the internet seem to be having the same thing --- thanks microsoft

it is a relief to see this post and im glad someone else is going through this (well not really). its just been a frustrating day and i hope we both get it resolved soon one way or another
Oh damn, yes it is very frustrating. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or if it is software related. I'm so confused. It seems that this started with both Win10 21H1 update and driver 471.11 from NVIDIA. As i'm seeing a lot of people saying that reinstalling Windows doesn't work, nor rollbacking drivers, i wonder if this is a Windows problem.
GPUs are super expensive right now so it's not like i can just replace mine. I'm thinking it might be the PSU too.
But as you say, maybe we just gotta wait until Microsoft comes with something, idk. One part of me wishes it was hardware just so i can replace it and move on. If i replace the hardware and the problem persists then i'm truly defeated lol.

Reactions: freshsince94

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
Well, i did reinstall Windows many times. Some i disconnected my ethernet cable so i avoided the default GPU driver that Windows installs. That's when i used driver 466.79. It worked for some time, i played Overwatch for like 10 minutes and could run Unigine Heaven for like 3 min, however it still failed after that.
And the thing is that this has happened with both Win10 20H2 and 21H1 and with like 10 different NVIDIA drivers.

There's something i noted, that i can benchmark and play games only some time after pc boot. Like if the GPU is only usable when the pc just started.

Jul 15, 2021
Oh damn, yes it is very frustrating. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or if it is software related. I'm so confused. It seems that this started with both Win10 21H1 update and driver 471.11 from NVIDIA. As i'm seeing a lot of people saying that reinstalling Windows doesn't work, nor rollbacking drivers, i wonder if this is a Windows problem.
GPUs are super expensive right now so it's not like i can just replace mine. I'm thinking it might be the PSU too.
But as you say, maybe we just gotta wait until Microsoft comes with something, idk. One part of me wishes it was hardware just so i can replace it and move on. If i replace the hardware and the problem persists then i'm truly defeated lol.
im 1000% sure its a windows update thats messed this up. because i cant roll back before 20H2 where my issues started, and ive installed the previous nvidia driver i was using before and had the same issue (466.77). i think honestly your hardware is fine because i have an MSI laptop with the exact same issues as you do in WoW and OW.

i do feel your comment about hardware but for me i cant swap any of those lol 😅

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
im 1000% sure its a windows update thats messed this up. because i cant roll back before 20H2 where my issues started, and ive installed the previous nvidia driver i was using before and had the same issue (466.77). i think honestly your hardware is fine because i have an MSI laptop with the exact same issues as you do in WoW and OW.

i do feel your comment about hardware but for me i cant swap any of those lol 😅
So, Unigine Heaven Benchmark and Overwatch have been running fine since yesterday afternoon. I don't know what i did, like, i was getting the nvlddmkm error, then i left my pc alone, came back (it was on sleep) and it was working fine. I really don't know what it is nor what i did. I'm currently on Win10 21H1 and 466.79 driver.

Try this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors and restart. See if it does anything. Other than that i don't know if it will keep working or if it's only a temporary victory lol

Jul 15, 2021
So, Unigine Heaven Benchmark and Overwatch have been running fine since yesterday afternoon. I don't know what i did, like, i was getting the nvlddmkm error, then i left my pc alone, came back (it was on sleep) and it was working fine. I really don't know what it is nor what i did. I'm currently on Win10 21H1 and 466.79 driver.

Try this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors and restart. See if it does anything. Other than that i don't know if it will keep working or if it's only a temporary victory lol
thank you for the update~ fingers crossed on it being a perma fix!

i will try this exactly and report back. im assuming you used ddu to uninstall 471 and go back to 466?

also, did you press this to go to 21h1?

mu8nvn6.png

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013

i will try this exactly and report back. im assuming you used ddu to uninstall 471 and go back to 466?

mu8nvn6.png
Yep, that's the update. However, i don't know if that could be the culprit because i had this issue with both ver 20H2 and 21H1.
And yes, used DDU for all driver rollbacks, currently on 466.79.

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013

mu8nvn6.png
Also, check your optional updates. I'm thinking that both in my old pc, and my new pc, had in common that while i did download the Win10 update, i ignored the optional update (Intel update) as people said that it was optional and sometimes caused instability. In the event viewer, the crashes stopped after i installed that optional update. And i noticed that because Device Manager showed an unknown device. So, if you got intel give it a try (first check Device Manager and if the optional update appears for you) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/es/download/30553/Utilidad-INF-del-chipset

Jul 15, 2021
Also, check your optional updates. I'm thinking that both in my old pc, and my new pc, had in common that while i did download the Win10 update, i ignored the optional update (Intel update) as people said that it was optional and sometimes caused instability. In the event viewer, the crashes stopped after i installed that optional update. And i noticed that because Device Manager showed an unknown device. So, if you got intel give it a try (first check Device Manager and if the optional update appears for you) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/es/download/30553/Utilidad-INF-del-chipset
oh wow yes i do actually have optional updates, list posted below. im guessing its the third one down from optional (the A131 one) -- do you recomend any of the other ones?
iABiQPd.png

how has your PC been btw?? are you playing OW and WoW with no issues now?

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
oh wow yes i do actually have optional updates, list posted below. im guessing its the third one down from optional (the A131 one) -- do you recomend any of the other ones?
iABiQPd.png

how has your PC been btw?? are you playing OW and WoW with no issues now?
Oh wow yea in your case try updating all those, the one that did it for me would be "Intel - System". It was a driver update that i don't know why it was in "Optional updates" in the first place.
Things are still working fine, i played OW yesterday for like 1 hour no problems, i'm currently downloading WoW to see what happens.

Jul 15, 2021
Oh wow yea in your case try updating all those, the one that did it for me would be "Intel - System". It was a driver update that i don't know why it was in "Optional updates" in the first place.
Things are still working fine, i played OW yesterday for like 1 hour no problems, i'm currently downloading WoW to see what happens.
nice, sounds good. ill definitely let you know how it goes. thanks again for the update :)

Jul 15, 2021
nice, sounds good. ill definitely let you know how it goes. thanks again for the update :)

so ive updated to 21h1, updated the optional updates, and used ddu to downgrade to 466.77 and then i realized you used 466.79 so i actually used ddu again to uninstall and get 466.79. both still had issues but i stuck with .79

i managed to get about 45 min of genshin gameplay before the same event viewer log where the display driver stopped working and it recovered
still cant use my second monitor, windows just crashes with a black screen or sometimes its a dpc_watchdog_violation BSOD. it just freezes in place and i cant do anything other than hard power off the device. oh well, i just gotta wait for either nvidia or windows to update hopefully soon. thanks for your help and hopefully its all fixed for you!

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
so ive updated to 21h1, updated the optional updates, and used ddu to downgrade to 466.77 and then i realized you used 466.79 so i actually used ddu again to uninstall and get 466.79. both still had issues but i stuck with .79

i managed to get about 45 min of genshin gameplay before the same event viewer log where the display driver stopped working and it recovered
still cant use my second monitor, windows just crashes with a black screen or sometimes its a dpc_watchdog_violation BSOD. it just freezes in place and i cant do anything other than hard power off the device. oh well, i just gotta wait for either nvidia or windows to update hopefully soon. thanks for your help and hopefully its all fixed for you!
How does your Device Manager looks like? any "unknown devices" there?
Did you tried this? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors

Hector OC

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
heres my device manager on the gpu, no unknown devices:
aE8xhrZ.png

ive tried DISM and SFC -- no errors on either. although now that you mention it my search button on windows isnt working lol
I think you need one more windows update, that also happened to me but was fixed in a little patch.
But there it is, check that "Other devices" with the little question mark that shows on your Device Manager.
Do this https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/
On Id hardware, does it show something like this?

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&SUBSYS_7C821462&REV_00

If it does, install this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/es/download/30553/Utilidad-INF-del-chipset and restart your pc

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
I think you need one more windows update, that also happened to me but was fixed in a little patch.
But there it is, check that "Other devices" with the little question mark that shows on your Device Manager.
Do this https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/
On Id hardware, does it show something like this?

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&SUBSYS_7C821462&REV_00

If it does, install this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/es/download/30553/Utilidad-INF-del-chipset and restart your pc
oh okay, i ran the update checker but couldnt find anything so guess ill just wait til it gets pushed to me.

"Other devices" shows a radio switch, not sure what this is:

iFBYp4x.png

thank you for your responses btw, youve been very helpful :)

TRENDING THREADS