[SOLVED] Games lag all of a sudden, ping is extremely high!

jerry2304

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
My network has become so bad all of a sudden.

On my custom PC, my Verizon network has just become uncooperative and unusable for gaming.

My ping in a game(World of Tanks Blitz) has hit over 500-800 consistently, with usually 40% or more packet loss just today. I ran Malwarebytes, restarted the PC, even made sure that the game was the ONLY thing running at the moment, and ping was 50 or less, but success was short-lived as it went right back to where it was before, maybe worse in fact. To make sure, I even went online and ran a ping test, which resulted in 1000ms and another one which gave me:

1Ping Test: US - Washington17 ms16 ms15 ms25 ms
2Ping Test: US - San Francisco71 ms71 ms69 ms92 ms
3Ping Test: BR - Sao Paulo133 ms132 ms130 ms159 ms
4Ping Test: CN - Hong Kong219 ms218 ms217 ms238 ms
5Ping Test: NL - Amsterdam107 ms106 ms103 ms123 ms

Everything that comes to my head has not worked, I'm about to lose it on this whole situation that has never happened before and I'm madder than ever.

IMPORTANT NEW INFO:

I have tried now connecting to the 5G network(same router), and the ping is now at more normal levels (20-30) despite the 5G network showing one less 'bar' of connectivity...

Last edited:
Solution
The is the difference between signal strength and signal quality. You can have a very strong signal with a strong source of interference and it will get latency spikes because the interference is causing data retransmissions. On a weak signal as long as there data is getting through to the far end with no damage it will perform exactly the same as a strong signals. It may connect at a lower speed because the device expect more issue with a low signal connection and they use a data encoding that is slower..ie less data to corrupt. The overall speed can be higher if using a faster encoding increases the number of errors.

Wifi is extremely susceptible to random interfere which makes it a very poor choice for online games that...

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing the specs to your build? List your wireless adapter as well. Are you on the latest networking drivers for your WiFi adapter? Latest BIOS for your motherboard? Do you have any intermediary between the router and your adapter?

jerry2304

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
Mind sharing the specs to your build? List your wireless adapter as well. Are you on the latest networking drivers for your WiFi adapter? Latest BIOS for your motherboard? Do you have any intermediary between the router and your adapter?
Well, turns out the 5G network doesn't lag.

The is the difference between signal strength and signal quality. You can have a very strong signal with a strong source of interference and it will get latency spikes because the interference is causing data retransmissions. On a weak signal as long as there data is getting through to the far end with no damage it will perform exactly the same as a strong signals. It may connect at a lower speed because the device expect more issue with a low signal connection and they use a data encoding that is slower..ie less data to corrupt. The overall speed can be higher if using a faster encoding increases the number of errors.

Wifi is extremely susceptible to random interfere which makes it a very poor choice for online games that require consistent latency.

In you case you get lucky....for now. You could have problems in the future if a neighbor decides to use the same radio bands as you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS