[SOLVED] Gaming on laptop, should i be worried?

raxor2k

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Hi. This question may have been asked before, but I have to ask again. I have a laptop: Dell G379 which I have had since November 2018. Mainly this has been used for school purposes and the last couple of months for gaming purposes(CSgo/rocket league) etc.

The specifications for this laptop are:

• Nvidia geforce 1050TI
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
  • 8gb DD4 memory

So the temperatures are my concern (has always been my concern when related to gaming).

First of all, this is my Dell "power panel" in which I have 4 choices:
  1. Optimized (default choice in Dell system)
  2. Cooling
  3. Silent
  4. Extreme performance

So, I can use optimized, and in CSgo I get 300-400 FPS, which is extremely good. But the GPU temperature could reach 70C, and CPU temperatures up to 65-75C.

I could also switch to the second choice in my Power panel which is "cooling", and I could play without any problem, and the temperatures go down to around 50 at both CPU and GPU, which is pretty good.

The problem then is that I can experience some ms delay while moving fast in e,g CS go. And when I play at a high level, it does not benefit me. So therefore I do now only play at optimized which is better.

Then my question is: should I be worried about those temperatures when playing at optimized? ... I know temperatures are usually higher on a laptop but still, this is a concern for me...

Solution
Hey there,

No, you shouldn't be worrying at all. In fact your temps at gaming on optimized are rather good. If you don't have a laptop cooling pad, or have not undervolted, those temps are very decent.

For example, my lappie with an I7 9750h CPU gets hotter than that (which you would expect) and I have had to replace thermal paste and undervolt my CPU to get temps like yours at my max boost of 4.5ghz.

I've a similar app on my HP Omen. It's called Gaming Hub. Similarly it has 3 performance settings. Comfort/Default/Performance mode. When running in comfort mode, the CPU downclocks, and is not good for gaming, the other two settings are great for gaming. And if I want to push max FPS, the performance mode is a beast, but you get more...
Hey there,

No, you shouldn't be worrying at all. In fact your temps at gaming on optimized are rather good. If you don't have a laptop cooling pad, or have not undervolted, those temps are very decent.

For example, my lappie with an I7 9750h CPU gets hotter than that (which you would expect) and I have had to replace thermal paste and undervolt my CPU to get temps like yours at my max boost of 4.5ghz.

I've a similar app on my HP Omen. It's called Gaming Hub. Similarly it has 3 performance settings. Comfort/Default/Performance mode. When running in comfort mode, the CPU downclocks, and is not good for gaming, the other two settings are great for gaming. And if I want to push max FPS, the performance mode is a beast, but you get more heat and the fans spin up to counter that.

Look into Intel XTU or Throttlestop if you want to reduce your temps further. But, IMO you are good to go.

Reactions: raxor2k
Solution

raxor2k

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
I must say that after googling a little bit about this "Throttlestop", I'm interested in trying it.

So I can downgrade my volt levels and still, the CPU will be able to provide the same performance? I find it hard to believe it

I must say that after googling a little bit about this "Throttlestop", I'm interested in trying it.

So I can downgrade my volt levels and still, the CPU will be able to provide the same performance? I find it hard to believe it

Yes, it's true! It works too. Very well. There are some good guides to read up on. You really can reduce temps, and get equal or more performance, by keeping temps down, and allowing CPU to boost higher and for longer.