dallas

I'm indoors and bored today, good time to ask a Garmin GPS question....

After entering your flight plan you can add an approach. You select your
approach (RWY 18 ILS), then you are presented with the transition selection
menu. "Vectors" is always an option along with a couple of intersections.

What do they mean by "Vectors" for the transition?

Dallas

Dallas wrote:

> What do they mean by "Vectors" for the transition?

Vectors to Final, perhaps?

Vectors to final (V2F) means that ATC is vectoring you to the final
approach course for the approach, rather than clearing you direct to
the initial approach fix (IAF) for you to begin the approach as
published. The GPS, when this option is chosen, skips all remaining
waypoints in your flight plan up to the FAF (final approach fix).

Furthermore, instead of guiding you direct from your present position
to the FAF, the GPS draws an extended straight line on the moving map
from the runway through the FAF, out about 10 miles or so. This line
represents the final approach course. The CDI, assuming you have the
NAV/GPS button set to NAV, will indicate your course deviation from the
final approach course, not from your present position to the FAF, much
like the CDI does when indicating the localizer course.

Normally, if you are using the GPS to monitor an ILS approach, you
would choose this V2F option since ATC most times will vector you to
intercept the localizer. The V2F option is there for all other
approaches as well. However, it is advisable that you do not accept
vectors to the final approach course from ATC when flying a GPS, nor
choose this option. Instead, request vectors to the closest initial
approach fix (IAF) listed on the approach plate, then activate the GPS
approach in the GPS by choosing that IAF to begin the approach from the
GPS menu.

The main reason for this recommendation is that the GPS needs to be
approach activated 2 NM outside of the FAF so that it can perform its
approach RAIM (internal integrety) check, then go into Approach mode.
ATC has been known to "slam dunk" aircraft on the final approach course
(turn you right at the FAF) and if they do this when you are on a GPS
approach, the GPS may never go into Approach mode (0.3 mile CDI full
scale sensitivity, meaning you will need to immediately fly the missed
to try again.

--
Peter

I wrote:

> The CDI, assuming you have the NAV/GPS button set to NAV,

Sorry, just saw a typo. The above should read:

The CDI, assuming you have the NAV/GPS button set to *GPS*,

--
Peter

dallas

Thanks Peter,

Don't you find it thought provoking that any half wit with an IQ of 80 can
successfully operate a vehicle in 2 dimensions.

But... you add just one more little dimension and the complexity increases
by a magnitude of thousands.

Dallas

> Thanks Peter,
>
> Don't you find it thought provoking that any half wit with an IQ of 80 can
> successfully operate a vehicle in 2 dimensions.
>
> But... you add just one more little dimension and the complexity increases
> by a magnitude of thousands.
>

> Dallas

Actually, you're adding two dimensions...

Vertical and Time.

How many drivers worry about their Ground Speed Vs Fuel Burn (Endurance)
which is crucial to pilots. For that matter, how many drivers do a "Drive
Plan" that takes this into account?

A plane can't just pull into a gas station when the needle begins to quiver
around "E" (unless you have a KC135 handy...but I've yet to see a C172 that
is capable of refuling in flight.)

Another matter related to time is difference in speed between driving and
even the most mundane 120kt light single. How many drivers have to wrap
their brains around moving almost 140mph? Ever hear anyone say you have to
"Stay Ahead Of The Car?" (Race drivers, excepted, of course.)

Just my $0.02 worth...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL / Sim Pilot Too
Chandler, AZ