LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,
I m not a lot familiar with oc, I never done some real oc on cpu or gpu ecc.
My build is:
z390 tomahawk
i5 9600k
1060 6gb asus dual oc
gskill royal 3200mhz cl 16
atc 800(cooler)
I have some question about all the oc
1) Does the mobo have an important impact on the oc? I think yes but what is the real difference between my mobo and a godlike for example(not the features like ports and wi-fi),I know that some have better cooler for the mosfet but any rilevant difference for oc and daily use without oc?
2)which is the operating voltage of a typical 9600k or 9th gen cpu? I know that could be ok a core voltage between 1.2 to 1.4
3)does msi center could used for the oc? I tried with the ram voltage but it does not stop the voltage to what I asked for while in the previous software (dragon center) all was fine
4)how to make it work till the start up?sometimes is like it start defoult and sometimes it start with what I asked for
5)I would like to undervolt my gpu, I have afterburner but when it shuld start at sturt up of the pc it does not... I cliked the botton that say start at pc start up but is not starting
6)is my gpu strange? I can do a +200mhz with the defoult watts, it just go with not that much hottness
7)what is a clear cmos and when or why shuld I use it

I ve read some articles from msi, here(tom's) and any other but if some expert can explain me better I d love, I wont do a real heavy oc like 5ghz or this things but only optimize my system

thanks for anyone that help me

Solution
  1. For the most part no, once you reach a certain cost and quality it is up the CPU and cooling how well it will perform. A very expensive motherboard might gain you 100Mhz over a more normal board.
  2. 1.4 is a high maximum, suitable for high end water cooling. Anything less and the CPU is likely to be running too hot. A more safe daily use voltage would be around 1.35. CPU should be kept under 85C under load conditions.
  3. Generally it is frowned upon to use software for CPU overclocking. Changes directly in the BIOS are preferred.
  4. Changes made in the BIOS will be effective before the OS even loads.
  5. MSI afterburner should start if you have set it to do so.
  6. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If it will do +200...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. For the most part no, once you reach a certain cost and quality it is up the CPU and cooling how well it will perform. A very expensive motherboard might gain you 100Mhz over a more normal board.
  2. 1.4 is a high maximum, suitable for high end water cooling. Anything less and the CPU is likely to be running too hot. A more safe daily use voltage would be around 1.35. CPU should be kept under 85C under load conditions.
  3. Generally it is frowned upon to use software for CPU overclocking. Changes directly in the BIOS are preferred.
  6. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If it will do +200 with no other changes, that is fine. Every GPU will behave a little differently, some will work undervolted quite well, some won't, some will have headroom some won't.
  7. Clear CMOS will reset all options in the BIOS. This is useful for when you make a non-bootable overclock configuration.

Solution

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
  6. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If it will do +200 with no other changes, that is fine. Every GPU will behave a little differently, some will work undervolted quite well, some won't, some will have headroom some won't.
  7. Clear CMOS will reset all options in the BIOS. This is useful for when you make a non-bootable overclock configuration.
Ok, so for cpu 1.35 is good.
For what i ve seen msi center(on msi mobo) from the software change the bios somehow, when I change the fans or voltage then I go on the bios and is set as the software, dunno if I m saying something wrong but in my pc it work like that but aftervurner do not start automatcly also when I ve pressed the button( the one with the windows icon).
How I could do a clean cmos?
Btw thanks for the help

For starters, good answers from Eximo^^

Realize that the most important factor in overclocking a 9600K is the quality of your particular chip. You may hear about 5.0 overclocks, but realize that those with good chips are posting, those with dogs are silent.

The 9th gen processors are reasonable candidates for overclocking.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1.35 isn't really what you
Ok, so for cpu 1.35 is good.
For what i ve seen msi center(on msi mobo) from the software change the bios somehow, when I change the fans or voltage then I go on the bios and is set as the software, dunno if I m saying something wrong but in my pc it work like that but aftervurner do not start automatcly also when I ve pressed the button( the one with the windows icon).
How I could do a clean cmos?
Btw thanks for the help

1.35 is a maximum, it may not be the best voltage to use. Overclocking is a balance of voltage, stability, clock speed, and temperature. You may find that a lower voltage is better in some cases.

Some software may be able to write changes to the BIOS. The problem is that such software can be unreliable, poorly maintained, or cause issues. Using the BIOS directly is the safer option.

You may need to re-install MSI Afterburner. Also check your windows Start Up options for it being disabled there. Launch it with administrative rights and try setting it again.

Removing the battery from the motherboard will clear the CMOS. There should also be a set of pins and a jumper you can use to temporarily disconnect the battery without removing it. Consult your motherboard manual.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
1.35 isn't really what you

1.35 is a maximum, it may not be the best voltage to use. Overclocking is a balance of voltage, stability, clock speed, and temperature. You may find that a lower voltage is better in some cases.

Some software may be able to write changes to the BIOS. The problem is that such software can be unreliable, poorly maintained, or cause issues. Using the BIOS directly is the safer option.

You may need to re-install MSI Afterburner. Also check your windows Start Up options for it being disabled there. Launch it with administrative rights and try setting it again.

Removing the battery from the motherboard will clear the CMOS. There should also be a set of pins and a jumper you can use to temporarily disconnect the battery without removing it. Consult your motherboard manual.
ok thanks.
I ve just tested with cinebench, but I ve difficult to understand wich is the actual cpu voltage, there are 3 cpu voltage, 1 is core(max1.27), 1 sa(max1.01 or 1.1 don t remember), 1 oi(1.2 or 1.1) the cpu is at 4.5ghz because I raised a bit the frequency(from 4.3 as intel xtu say) while the cache is at 4.7(standard), the temp only with syntetich bench goes arrounf 78 else(on games) are 70.
Are this numbers good or at least normals?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Core voltage is what people are talking about when they refer to limits.

You have effectively underclocked it, by default it should be reaching 4.6Ghz.

Temperature wise you are fine, but that is to be expected at that voltage and frequency. This says you have plenty of room to go up.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Core voltage is what people are talking about when they refer to limits.

You have effectively underclocked it, by default it should be reaching 4.6Ghz.

Temperature wise you are fine, but that is to be expected at that voltage and frequency. This says you have plenty of room to go up.
No, that is the turbo boost that goes at 4.6 and is very rare that active.
From base it goes 3.7 but I don t remember why or with xti or msi it gpes to 4.3 so I rised to 4.5.
Tge turbo is still active so in certian loads it goes to 4.6 for like 20 secs

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, that is the turbo boost that goes at 4.6 and is very rare that active.
From base it goes 3.7 but I don t remember why or with xti or msi it gpes to 4.3 so I rised to 4.5.
Tge turbo is still active so in certian loads it goes to 4.6 for like 20 secs

The most basic of overclocks would be to force all cores to 4.6Ghz. As you mentioned, it wasn't uncommon for people to run at 4.8 to 5Ghz though. Really good samples with good cooling were able to do 5.2Ghz.

I even got my old 7700k to 5Ghz all core, though that was at a blistering 1.416 volts with custom water cooling and a de-lid.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
The most basic of overclocks would be to force all cores to 4.6Ghz. As you mentioned, it wasn't uncommon for people to run at 4.8 to 5Ghz though. Really good samples with good cooling were able to do 5.2Ghz.

I even got my old 7700k to 5Ghz all core, though that was at a blistering 1.416 volts with custom water cooling and a de-lid.
Ok cool, I m good with 4.5 but I will try.
Btw I undervolted my gpu and is 5C° cooler.
Thanks for the help very much.
Last thing, what is voltage cpu sa and io and do I have to worrie about?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ok cool, I m good with 4.5 but I will try.
Btw I undervolted my gpu and is 5C° cooler.
Thanks for the help very much.
Last thing, what is voltage cpu sa and io and do I have to worrie about?

They are minor voltages running other parts of the CPU. You don't have to worry about them unless you have stability issues. In which case, increase them by very small amounts.

TRENDING THREADS