[SOLVED] Getting lower Haven benchmark scores and much higher stable memory overclocks on gpu.

Feb 2, 2020
I recently built my first computer and decided to overclock it using MSI afterburner. after a couple of messing around, I was getting a stable overclock of +160 to the core clock and + 650 to the memory with a voltage increase of 23%. I was using heaven benchmark set to extreme at 1440p resolution on full screen and got a score of 2060 on stock settings and a score of 2239 with the overclock. all was well and good till I accidentally entered the value of 1600 and black screened. Because I had MSI afterburner set to open on startup and apply my overclock I kept crashing so I opened windows in safe mode and uninstall MSI afterburner then reinstalled it once i was out of safe mode. Again all was well and good though after that i found that i could raise my memory overclock to +1100 and my core clock to +160 with a voltage increase of 20% without getting any crashes stutters or artifacts in haven benchmark with the same settings or various games such as assigns creed odyssey, rainbow six siege and gta v. though when I benchmarked it I was only getting a score of 2192 furthermore when i brought the values back down to stock i got a score of 1971. I've tried reinstalling my nvidia drivers and reinstalling haven though no luck getting back to the values i had before. I read that sometimes when memory is overclocked to values that high it can give worse performance instead of crashing or artifacting so i tried various other values like 1000 900 800 ect though they all got worse scores than the 1100 mghz overclock.

If anyone could help explain whats going on and/or show me how to fix this it would be much appreciated

Specs

GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce oc 3x 8G
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x
Ram (2 x 8gb) ripjaw ddr4 3600 ram
OS Unactivated windows 10 pro

Solution
Overclocking memory beyond a limit will simply cause memory errors. Then the gpu error correction kicks in which causes worse performance. Dial your overclock back and start over. It's better to restart your pc after each overclock session. After many overclock attempts, 3rd party softwares like Afterburner will mess your OC settings.
Overclocking memory beyond a limit will simply cause memory errors. Then the gpu error correction kicks in which causes worse performance. Dial your overclock back and start over. It's better to restart your pc after each overclock session. After many overclock attempts, 3rd party softwares like Afterburner will mess your OC settings.

Solution

zx128k

Reputable
You need to run a RTX game like Control. If the color bleeds out of the image and it goes dark then the RAM OC is too high. If you crash then the core is too high. You can also get distorted geometry in games, like little spikes coming from your character etc. Reduced the core frequency. Little colored blotches are the RAM, if you see them you will crash very soon afterwards. The card can remain stable in some games long past the point it become unstable.

Stuttering, micro lags and frame time spikes can be caused by hardware or software. Example, you are watching a YouTube video while gaming and the screen stutters or micro lags when the video ends. This is normal.

Feb 2, 2020
ill see
Overclocking memory beyond a limit will simply cause memory errors. Then the GPU error correction kicks in which causes worse performance. Dial your overclock back and start over. It's better to restart your pc after each overclock session. After many overclock attempts, 3rd party software like Afterburner will mess your OC settings.
I've tried various other values scaling the memory overclock back down though they all give worse results than when it was at 1100. I've also tried uninstalling MSI afterburner and reinstalling my Nvidia drivers though even the stock settings aren't performing as well as they used too. do you think it's possible I damaged my hardware?

zx128k

Reputable
ill see

I've tried various other values scaling the memory overclock back down though they all give worse results than when it was at 1100. I've also tried uninstalling MSI afterburner and reinstalling my Nvidia drivers though even the stock settings aren't performing as well as they used too. do you think it's possible I damaged my hardware?

If you set everything to stock and there are no issues afterwards. Then you can make changes and see if the changes cause any issues. If you can't get everything working at stock then there will need to be a troubleshoot to find what is wrong.