[SOLVED] Gigabit network for camp! How to get access to separate building

Dec 9, 2019
Great news! Gigabit internet is offered here at my camp. The existing infrastructure offers internet at a centralized building on the property. This building is about 250-300ft away from the spot I need the access at (personal/professional use.)

I've been looking into range extenders, ubiquiti, and some other solutions. I would like to receive as much of the original Mbp/s as possible. There is a semi-clear line of sight from building to building. From an equipment standpoint, what all will I need? I know the ISP will be supplying the modem, that's about it.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Unless you have concrete or something it is almost trivial to run a cable. You use outdoor direct bury cable and it only has to be buried maybe 1 inch. The simple tool to do this is a power edger, it will cut a slot a couple inches deep and you can push the cable into it.

Wifi solution are going to be expensive if you want fast speed. It does not take much to block a wifi signals so it is hard to say if "semi" clear line of sight will work.

It seems you already have found the site that many people use for this. Ubiquiti sell lots of solutions for fairly good prices. It just going to depends how fast you want it to run. Pretty much you want a pair of their outdoor bridges. They sell gigabit full duplex solution but...
Dec 9, 2019
Semi-clear to me, means bury a cable. You are at the edge of the length for ethernet on copper. Fiber is lightning proof so many people will say you should only use fiber.
Running a wire isn't feasible with our current lay of the land and how quickly we want to set this network up. [edit: this may not be a bad idea in the long run]

Last edited:
Unless you have concrete or something it is almost trivial to run a cable. You use outdoor direct bury cable and it only has to be buried maybe 1 inch. The simple tool to do this is a power edger, it will cut a slot a couple inches deep and you can push the cable into it.

Wifi solution are going to be expensive if you want fast speed. It does not take much to block a wifi signals so it is hard to say if "semi" clear line of sight will work.

It seems you already have found the site that many people use for this. Ubiquiti sell lots of solutions for fairly good prices. It just going to depends how fast you want it to run. Pretty much you want a pair of their outdoor bridges. They sell gigabit full duplex solution but I doubt you are willing to spend more than $2000.

Solution
Dec 9, 2019

It seems you already have found the site that many people use for this. Ubiquiti sell lots of solutions for fairly good prices. It just going to depends how fast you want it to run. Pretty much you want a pair of their outdoor bridges. They sell gigabit full duplex solution but I doubt you are willing to spend more than $2000.
Awesome, thank you for your response! I understand the solutions could cost up to $2k+ which is less than ideal. What kind of wire/cable would be ideal to bury? Will it carry the same speed from the modem across that type of distance? What are some of the cons with this vs. nanobridging?

You want outdoor direct bury ethernet cable. It needs be cat5e you can buy cat6 if you can get it cheaper. Watch out for fake cable make sure the wire is pure copper with wire gauge size 22-24.

I would actually measure the distance before you do this. You are close to the 100 meter limit. It will not work if you try to go over so be sure you are under.

It will run at gigbit speeds with no issues so likely your internet connection itself will the slow part.

Really the only downside is installation. Once it you get past the pain of installing it will pretty much work with no issues forever. Cost will likely be about $100 in the same general price of the lowest end bridge units.

Dec 9, 2019
You want outdoor direct bury ethernet cable. It needs be cat5e you can buy cat6 if you can get it cheaper. Watch out for fake cable make sure the wire is pure copper with wire gauge size 22-24.

I would actually measure the distance before you do this. You are close to the 100 meter limit. It will not work if you try to go over so be sure you are under.

It will run at gigbit speeds with no issues so likely your internet connection itself will the slow part.

Really the only downside is installation. Once it you get past the pain of installing it will pretty much work with no issues forever. Cost will likely be about $100 in the same general price of the lowest end bridge units.
This is awesome - I'll measure it out once I can get my hands on the correct tool. Let's say the distance is too long between points and the 100meter is too short. Will there be any other cable options? Or will the nanobridge/extenders be my other option?

By the way thank you for taking your time to give out helpful information to a noob!

kanewolf

Titan
This is awesome - I'll measure it out once I can get my hands on the correct tool. Let's say the distance is too long between points and the 100meter is too short. Will there be any other cable options? Or will the nanobridge/extenders be my other option?

By the way thank you for taking your time to give out helpful information to a noob!
There are other options. As I said, fiber is one. There are point-to-point links over coax also. That is probably what I would do, go with coax if you are beyond the 100m mark. When you measure, you need to get the whole length. If you have to go from the router, up a wall across a ceiling and down an outside wall, that distance needs to be included in your total.

Dec 9, 2019
There are other options. As I said, fiber is one. There are point-to-point links over coax also. That is probably what I would do, go with coax if you are beyond the 100m mark. When you measure, you need to get the whole length. If you have to go from the router, up a wall across a ceiling and down an outside wall, that distance needs to be included in your total.

I received some help on a friendly discord named CrossTalkSolutions. This type of wireless set up would be perfect for our needs if the cable solution doesn't seem to work out. For the sake of cross referencing, here's what he posted. Let me know what you think!

"well then the solution is not difficult : Dining hall isp modem <-> cat6 cable <-> Edgerouter X ($ 59) <-> cat6 cable <-> Ethernet Surgeprotector ETH‑SP ($12) <-> cat6 cable <-> Litebeam AC (5Ghz 200 Mbit up/down; $62) or Gigabeam (upcoming 60Ghz & 5Ghz 500 Mbit u/d, $ 129) on a roofpole or J Mount ( $10) <-> Newbuilding Litebeam AC (5Ghz 200 Mbit up/down; $62) or Gigabeam (upcoming 60Ghz & 5Ghz 500 Mbit u/d, $ 129) on a roofpole or J Mount ( $10) <-> cat6 cable <-> Ethernet Surgeprotector ETH‑SP ($12) <-> cat6 cable <-> Aircube AC (router modem; $ 70) <-> users @ newbuilding (so $337 - 470 depending on the radios)"

If we go this route, we'll probably grab the Gigabeam as we're exploring the 500Mbit plan from the ISP

Last edited: